Gas Small Block with C Heads BTR Build

Search this Thread

Old October 10th, 2022, 08:50 AM

Does the Holly street dominator have enough extra aluminum to be port match to the big block Oldsmobile head when on a small block Oldsmobile or do you have to run the performer?
Old October 10th, 2022, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by CANADIANOLDS
and yes, I have done builds with irons and a Victor, both small blocks and big blocks
And?
Old October 10th, 2022, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bernhard

Does the Holly street dominator have enough extra aluminum to be port match to the big block Oldsmobile head when on a small block Oldsmobile or do you have to run the performer?
Pretty sure they have to have welding to get there,( but it's been 20 yrs since I seen it discussed. Either on ROP , or ORO ).
Old October 11th, 2022, 05:31 AM

I wouldn’t do that to use it with bb heads

Last edited by CANADIANOLDS; October 11th, 2022 at 06:09 AM.
Old October 11th, 2022, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
And?
….a dual plane will make more low end TQ.

are you just finding this out?

Old October 11th, 2022, 08:03 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Cutlassefi's Victor equipped stroker, he did last month with CNC Speedmaster heads made more average torque, similar compression and 12 degrees more duration, intake and exhaust. I assume most would go aluminum heads with a Victor? How come Cutlassefi is the only one posting Olds builds on here on Racing and High Performance? Most of them, our his own.
Old October 11th, 2022, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
Cutlassefi's Victor equipped stroker, he did last month with CNC Speedmaster heads made more average torque, similar compression and 12 degrees more duration, intake and exhaust. I assume most would go aluminum heads with a Victor? How come Cutlassefi is the only one posting Olds builds on here on Racing and High Performance? Most of them, our his own.
.....because there are shjt talkers, then there are do-ers. Don't talk about it; be about it.

I've been scratching my head on why so many people spend so much time and money on iron, production heads, myself. It doesn't make any sense to me, other than bragging rights. Kinda like a drag-n-drive, I guess= just because I can.
Old October 11th, 2022, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
did you expect a set of CNC ported aluminums to not make more avg TQ over some mild irons in that case?

My point was about him bragging his builds made more low end TQ with a dual plane than this one did with a Victor and mild irons

it’s not even an apples to oranges, it’s like watermelons to blueberries..only an insecure engine builder would pump themselves up over that.

the 21 hp gain up top wasn’t mentioned was it?

Last edited by CANADIANOLDS; October 11th, 2022 at 10:29 AM.
Old October 11th, 2022, 02:56 PM

How can BTR get that thing to turn 6700 with hyd rollers and a heavy valve train?

I thought they were junk?
Old October 11th, 2022, 03:28 PM

Solid roller on a Hyd roller cam. Bill very seldom uses Hyd roller lifters anymore.
And yes I know a dual plane will normally make more tq below peak. You mentioned you’ve done a Victor equipped iron headed small block or two. I was simply asking for the details Dale.
And thanks for the great response by the way.
Just in the last couple of weeks you’ve gone from asking me to pm you a Dyno sheet, that you said you wouldn’t share with anyone, to basically calling me a chest pounding idiot that doesn’t know what different manifolds will do. I’m done trying to figure you out. I don’t ever recall pissing in YOUR corn flakes but whatever.
Have a nice day Dale.

Last edited by cutlassefi; October 11th, 2022 at 03:58 PM.
Old October 11th, 2022, 04:37 PM

BAM solid rollers. A few of us have them.
Old October 11th, 2022, 05:22 PM

Solid roller on a Hyd roller cam. Bill very seldom uses Hyd roller lifters anymore.
And yes I know a dual plane will normally make more tq below peak. You mentioned you’ve done a Victor equipped iron headed small block or two. I was simply asking for the details Dale.
Just in the last couple of weeks you’ve gone from asking me to pm you a Dyno sheet, that you said you wouldn’t share with anyone, to basically calling me a chest pounding idiot that doesn’t know what different manifolds will do. I’m done trying to figure you out. I don’t ever recall pissing in YOUR corn flakes but whatever.
Have a nice day Dale.

Cutlas EFI pounding his chest.................

Old October 12th, 2022, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by fleming442
BAM solid rollers. A few of us have them.
Yes, good stuff. That’s Brad A. Miller, he’s less than 90 min from me. He worked at Crane, programmed their CNC’s etc., then bought them when they became available. He kicks out a nice product for sure.
Old October 12th, 2022, 11:04 AM

Have a nice day Dale.
You asking for my dyno sheet , or anyones is the height of hypocrisy.

while you still pick apart everyone else’s, even on Facebook. That Pete guy ripped you a new one for dissecting his numbers, while you officially announced before that you will no longer post yours.

once you quit posting sheets, and having your feelings hurt…that takes you out of the conversation on anyone else’s posted info.

as far as an iron head build using a Victor. I’ve already posted the sheets a few times. Listed everything in the build. Posted pics of the engine in the car and the ET slips.

all that info is still on here. I’ve never refused to post any sheet , if there is one. Crap, I’ve asked you for info on your halo, and crank…I get nothing. Trying to find out the minimum cross section on the new E brocks was like pulling teeth..and then you post info that was bs because you actually don’t know where the minimum cross section is.

I’ve never mentioned to anyone that you had asked me for input years ago by a PM on ROP about what I would like to see changed on the new Ebrock head. I said added material up top of the intake ports in the rocker area..I sent you pics. Which turned out be identical to what they did, so you did pass that pic onto them.

i can post our messages form ROP on here if you forgot about that.

you constantly playing the victim is getting old.

Old October 12th, 2022, 02:35 PM

Yes I did pass those pics to them, along with others of my own, and told them where yours came from.
I don’t recall a crank question, sorry if I missed that.
I have no intention of picking apart your iron headed/Victor Dyno sheet(s). Just wanted to see the results and the parts used, plain and simple.
I believe I asked at what point of CSA you were looking for, pinch point or opening at the flange.

And sorry I didn’t rush to get you halo info, quite frankly it wasn’t a priority, I had other pressing matters, like preparing for, and experiencing a direct hit hurricane and subsequent flooding of my shop. Sorry.

Last edited by cutlassefi; October 12th, 2022 at 04:35 PM.
Old October 12th, 2022, 04:15 PM

No. Not nearly enough material to work with. Someone had a welded, built up one that he named “Frankendominator” but I can’t remember who it was. It was quite some years back.

*EDIT* My post is in regards to BBO intake ports in cylinder head. That said, I’m running an SD on mine w/ Edel Gen 1’s and it doesn’t seem to mind. Never noticed much, if any difference between SD & RPM but my engine is no deep breather.
​​​​​​….

Last edited by bccan; October 13th, 2022 at 09:45 AM.
Old October 12th, 2022, 05:18 PM

This manifold was the manifold of choice for the Olds S/S powered small blocks.
Old October 13th, 2022, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
This manifold was the manifold of choice for the Olds S/S powered small blocks.
Were they allowed to run BB heads?

I passed on one for $135 last year. Need to pick one up for future activities.
Old October 13th, 2022, 07:31 AM

Were they allowed to run BB heads?

I passed on one for $135 last year. Need to pick one up for future activities.
No,the head has to be OE to the car unless they use an approved NHRA aftermarket head.
Old October 13th, 2022, 04:34 PM
Pete

Who is Peter Graves?
I'm the guy living rent free in Marks head aparantly.

Although a little low on tq, in my experience these are pretty typical numbers for the combination.
Y’all still want to believe Peter Graves’ numbers after seeing these? Knock your selves out.
Lol!!
A post was done earlier about a guy (Peter) that used one of my Stroker kits. His Dyno sheet showed 552hp and 592tq corrected.
The combination was a 434, 10.5:1, 227/233@.050 cam, ported small block irons, RPM Intake and an 830 carb. I argued that based on my own experience his numbers were unrealistic. A couple of people said no.
Thanks for kudos on the Stroker kits Pete.
I’ve looked at all your info and your results could be more typical. As Velcro said, maybe your heads were better than I gave you credit for. My apologies. I’m a fan of pipe max too, and those numbers don’t seem too far fetched now that I’ve looked at it again.
And for the last time, my criticism of Bills Dyno pulls center around one main thing. Who is able to run their STREET build at 130*, really? Oddly enough when he did an alcohol engine he ran it at 160*, hmmmm. So again my main point is and always has been, why are you running street builds at such cool temps? Because they make more power there. And if someone takes it to the track, and doesn’t back it up with a corresponding time and speed, they can always blame it on the driver, track conditions or whatever.
Again Pete, nice build, and thanks for the explanations and favorable mention on the kits.

So much for not saying anything publicly about it. For a guy that was so eager to be my FB friend, you sure have a funny way of saying one thing and doing another. And that's a shame, you deserve credit for bringing things to the Olds market but instead your known as that dick you have to deal with if you want some Olds parts. And then to top it off you make jackass comments to me when I offer basic advise to Ryan Weaver on his own page for his VW issues, telling me carb issues aren't ignition issues, that he needs a wideband to fix his problem. And then a week later, he figures out his POS distributor IS the problem, not the carb. You had zero clue about who I am when I offered my advice to Ryan and you had even less clue when you told me the dyno " was off 10%, minimum".

Yes, a couple of months ago. 429ci, 10.2:1, 234/240@.050 Hyd roller, RPM intake, 850 Brawler, big valve E heads with a bowl blend.
Made 488hp/518tq.
Again, I'm not limited by YOUR lack of abilities. 488hp out of 429ci? That's 1.13hp/ci, and you think that's the yardstick by which all the rest of us live by? You're hilarious. And who the hell puts a Victor on a 5000 rpm engine?

Again, you didn't even have the facts of the build, and you have the ***** to tell me this.
Maybe this would have helped?

I've given you ALL the info from the dyno, but you have yet to actually point out what the problem is. First it was the inertia factor was wrong, then SOMEthing was wrong because YOU haven't done it. A basic 383ci SBC makes better power than your 429ci build does, on any dyno in the country, even the "stingy" ones. And then you get even more laughable by crying about how you won't post anymore dyno sheets because you can't stand the scrutiny?

BTW-STILL WAITING FOR THOSE DYNO SHEETS WITH ALL THE INFO, INCLUDING DA,BARO, OBSERVED POWER, ETc. You said you didn't have any trouble getting that off the L&S software, so what's the holdup? I had no problem sharing mine with you to provide answers to all your accusations.

BTW- my phone number is not only on my personal page, but on my business page, and all over the internet. Anytime you want to call and talk about it, it's there.
Glad to see you made it through the hurricane, one of my customers in Fort M didn't fare as well.

Pfeiffer's Engine Specialties Inc

Call (815) 233-2267
4.719 Google reviews
Auto parts store in Stephenson County, Illinois
Address: 1798 Smokey Hollow Rd, Freeport, IL 61032

Hours:
Closed ⋅ Opens 8AM Fri
Phone: (815) 233-2267

While you're at it, call Steve ( he's the one you think is stupid enough to enter the wrong inertia factor) and get him straightened out on how he fudged his dyno to make me look like a Super Villain because YOU can't make a measly 1.29hp/ci with a 4" crank and iron heads.

so you haven’t, gotcha.

comparing low end TQ of a dual plane to a Victor isn’t similar either then is it?

and yes, I have done builds with irons and a Victor, both small blocks and big blocks
….a dual plane will make more low end TQ.

are you just finding this out?
Someone gets it.
Old October 13th, 2022, 04:36 PM

Pete

Wheres your fuel flow, I want to compare them to Bill's test.
7L so you say.................

Last edited by VORTECPRO; October 13th, 2022 at 04:48 PM.
Old October 13th, 2022, 04:47 PM

Y'all are funny 🤣
Old October 13th, 2022, 04:50 PM

Y'all are funny 🤣

Pay attention you might learn something.....................
Old October 13th, 2022, 04:51 PM

y'all are funny 🤣
lol...
Old October 13th, 2022, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by VORTECPRO
Pay attention you might learn something.....................
Post some information; I'm all eyes/ears. All I see is a bunch of bickering.
Old October 13th, 2022, 05:46 PM

"YOU can't make a measly 1.29hp/ci with a 4" crank and iron heads".
You're right. But apparently Bill T. can't either it seems, his made 1.19hp/ci. Mine made 1.13hp/ci as stated. Hmm, just .06 less than Bill's with a half point less compression, an out of the box Brawler vs a high dollar AED, and an RPM vs a Victor. You would think his would've made way more hp than lil ole me with a Victor than an RPM apples to apples right?

Here's another one that can't even come close to making 1.29hp/ci like you Peter. Paul Tester did a 403 based stroker build last year with one of my cranks, made about 470hp with more cam than you, Gen II Edelbrocks and an RPM. It was around 460ci, so that's barely 1.00hp per ci right? Why don't you question why he can't make anywhere near your numbers? Again seems like nobody can but you.

And I didn't chase you on FB. If you haven't figured it out yet, friend requests are somewhat random, friends of friends and so on. Yours came across my page, I simply clicked "Confirm". Feel free to reverse that if you like.

Have a nice evening.

Last edited by cutlassefi; October 13th, 2022 at 05:57 PM.
Old October 13th, 2022, 06:19 PM

1.6 hp per cube, iron heads&Victor…. At a leisurely 6,300 😎
Old October 13th, 2022, 06:22 PM

1.65 per inch here on mild production iron headed builds, with backed up at the track numbers.
Old October 13th, 2022, 06:24 PM

"A basic 383ci SBC makes better power than your 429ci build does". Really?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mll-bp38318ctc1d

Just had one on my dyno, it actually made 431, or 1.125hp/ci. Hmmmm.

Last edited by cutlassefi; October 13th, 2022 at 06:27 PM.
Old October 13th, 2022, 06:49 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Post some information; I'm all eyes/ears. All I see is a bunch of bickering.
Yep. The usual **** show.
Old October 14th, 2022, 12:29 AM

1.65 per inch here on mild production iron headed builds, with backed up at the track numbers.
let's see the build so we can learn something
Old October 14th, 2022, 02:36 AM

let's see the build so we can learn something
I'd be very happy post it again on here if you really want me too. I also have video of the track test as well, but its not a Oldsmobile. Since your all about learning, I have a question for you: How much HP does it take to run 147.24 MPH through the mufflers @ 3445 pounds?
Old October 14th, 2022, 03:06 AM

Wallace calculator says 847.18.
True to form, you post track numbers and Chevy builds on an Oldsmobile board. Are you strictly here to troll Mark with Dale? That's what it looks like from here.
How about contributing some information that could help someone? WHY are Mark's builds so inferior to yours? HOW do you correct the anomalies ? WHAT should be the standard for hp/cu in IN AN OLDSMOBILE engine?
I see nothing but trolling from your worthless dribble.
Old October 14th, 2022, 03:43 AM

Wallace calculator says 847.18.
True to form, you post track numbers and Chevy builds on an Oldsmobile board. Are you strictly here to troll Mark with Dale? That's what it looks like from here.
How about contributing some information that could help someone? WHY are Mark's builds so inferior to yours? HOW do you correct the anomalies ? WHAT should be the standard for hp/cu in IN AN OLDSMOBILE engine?
I see nothing but trolling from your worthless dribble.
Let me break it down for you on why my builds are superior to any thing Cutlas EFI builds.

1. Complete control of every aspect of the machining process in house.
2. I'm a known cast iron/aluminum head porter that delivers big power, thats means I do more than port match the intake.
3. Being able to adjust and set clearances on the fly with the proper measuring equipment, and to spell it out for you that means Sunnen dial bore gauges, not mitutoyo sub standard measuring equipment.
4. Real cleaning equipment, which allows me to build a very clean engine.
5. Oil pan design and fabrication skills, my engines do not drop oil pressure @ high RPM, your hero's does in most cases.
6. It doesn't matter the brand of engine, theres always something to learn from a good engine build.
7. Hard core street and drag testing, I drive my builds and race my builds.
8. Proven dyno HP from MPH derived over 1320 feet.

And just because many would like to forget, some pictures of what I work with seeing some would like to discredit my commitment to my profession.

Hope I answered your questions.

Last edited by VORTECPRO; October 14th, 2022 at 04:13 AM.
Old October 14th, 2022, 04:00 AM

Congratulations?
Old October 14th, 2022, 04:43 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

We all want to see Oldsmobile builds on this site, especially on this particular forum. It helps get us through our sad little, mundane lives😉. Most of us don't give a Rat's *** about the sbc, BBC and LS. I can go hang out on the G body or other non Oldsmobile' specific forums, if I want see that done to death stuff. Back to the stomping out a flaming bag of **** show.

Old October 14th, 2022, 06:35 AM

Mark V P , would Moroso be your preferred pan most of the time, and do they need work too ? Do they all need something ?
Old October 14th, 2022, 07:18 AM

The olds 455 we built in the pictures above utilized a modified Moroso pan. The customer supplied the pan and from the looks of it we knew it needed work, now I haven't looked at every pan out there available for a 455, so possibly theres something out there that could work unmodified.

Last edited by VORTECPRO; October 14th, 2022 at 07:23 AM.
Old October 14th, 2022, 07:25 AM

The olds 455 we built in the pictures above utilized a modified Moroso pan. The customer supplied the pan and from the looks of it we knew it needed work, now I haven't looked at every pan out there available for a 455, so possibly theres something out there that could work unmodified.
Thanks, I have Olds and Chevy interests/projects.
Old October 14th, 2022, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by 68post
Thanks, I have Olds and Chevy interests/projects.
An Olds just like a Chevy drop oil pressure @ hi RPM if the pan isn't right.

Quick Reply: Gas Small Block with C Heads BTR Build