I need help finding headers!

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2023, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Firewalker
Then in the mid 80s I chose the Sonic Turbos mufflers for my 455 after they beat everything else in testing.
I still have a set of those on my Cutlass. Transferred them from my ‘70 Supreme to the ‘71 convertible in 1990.
Old March 18th, 2023, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I still have a set of those on my Cutlass. Transferred them from my ‘70 Supreme to the ‘71 convertible in 1990.
Mine are still functioning, though I have all the parts, for a new redesign on my exhaust system. Cyclone who made them was bought out by the parent company of Dynomax, and they became Dynomax's Super Turbos.
Old March 18th, 2023, 10:09 PM

OK, Ebay cheap headers tested

https://youtu.be/9Lckpw_81PQ
Those are impressive results from an ebay knock off header, for the average street car or bracket car you can't go wrong.
I do think for the racer the investment in a high dollar header is worth it because they are not leaving anything on the table. The quality and options like engine management bungs that are pre - installed.
Reading what the class racers have to say on the topic of header design is interesting. The headers are engine specific and the cam design go hand in hand with the header.
Thanks for posting the video and for your feedback.
Old March 18th, 2023, 10:20 PM

Many a brand of headers over the decades have claimed they had the secret ingredient for more power. Maybe yes and maybe no. I would rather see some drag testing including on the collectors, and do testing also of some of my full exhaust ideas that might keep the power without adding noise.

I have always in a way been a rather exhaustive guy. This is what I chose for my BBC Camaro in about 1970. Notice the collector.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275636847358

Then in the mid 80s I chose the Sonic Turbos mufflers for my 455 after they beat everything else in testing.
Bernhard Wrote:
Cool day two ad.
Equaling the header tube length in the collector was a creative solution. I find the topic interesting with so many designs out there look at. Try Y headers, step headers, equal length headers. 180 degree headers, etc.
Old March 18th, 2023, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bernhard
Those are impressive results from an ebay knock off header, for the average street car or bracket car you can't go wrong.
I do think for the racer the investment in a high dollar header is worth it because they are not leaving anything on the table. The quality and options like engine management bungs that are pre - installed.
Reading what the class racers have to say on the topic of header design is interesting. The headers are engine specific and the cam design go hand in hand with the header.
Thanks for posting the video and for your feedback.
Would you call muffler shops knock off exhaust??? I think possibly they set out to show Ebay header inferior, by choosing one with a 2 1/2 inch collectors to compare to a pricey 3 inch collectors, and doing so by increasing power and rpm limit tests. But surprise surprise it made no real difference, except on the bottom end where the smaller collector from Ebay won. But at least they went ahead and told the truth though they still tried to slant it some it seems.

It all goes hand and hand, from the tires, to the nut behind the wheel.
Old March 19th, 2023, 08:25 AM

Mine are still functioning, though I have all the parts, for a new redesign on my exhaust system. Cyclone who made them was bought out by the parent company of Dynomax, and they became Dynomax's Super Turbos.
That's good to know. I have new pipes for my car that I plan to install some day and I was wondering what mufflers to use. Now I know. Thanks!
Old March 19th, 2023, 08:33 AM

They can't steal things no one can own like pipe bends, and that American company you like has made everything for 40 years outside the US, and they never made headers as nice as these Ebay ones. NEVER
Wrong ARH are not made off shore unless they recently changed. Ebay cheaper but not better. My .02
Old March 19th, 2023, 09:40 AM

Would you call muffler shops knock off exhaust??? I think possibly they set out to show Ebay header inferior, by choosing one with a 2 1/2 inch collectors to compare to a pricey 3 inch collectors, and doing so by increasing power and rpm limit tests. But surprise surprise it made no real difference, except on the bottom end where the smaller collector from Ebay won. But at least they went ahead and told the truth though they still tried to slant it some it seems.

It all goes hand and hand, from the tires, to the nut behind the wheel.
I guess I should not say they are knock off's / copies as I don't know how they came up with the design. The muffler shop may be copying factory layout or may be original or a bit of both.
There is a lot of copying going on in the in the world of manufacturing and racing.
I have no problem with the ebay headers and think they are the best bang for the dollar. There are not many companies in the hi-performance world that have not shipped manufacturing off shore. I think guys that test just like to know what works and what does not and that's why they posted there results on ebay headers V name brand big dollar headers.
I like reading class racer threads because there are some very honest results given, about the latest and greatest new header, camshaft design.etc. It would be interesting if one header could be tuned to show et or mph gain.

Last edited by Bernhard; March 19th, 2023 at 09:55 AM.
Old March 19th, 2023, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by wr1970
Wrong ARH are not made off shore unless they recently changed. Ebay cheaper but not better. My .02
You got the wrong company I was talking about. I was referring to Hookers and not ARH.
Old March 19th, 2023, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Bernhard
I guess I should not say they are knock off's / copies as I don't know how they came up with the design. The muffler shop may be copying factory layout or may be original or a bit of both.
There is a lot of copying going on in the in the world of manufacturing and racing.
I have no problem with the ebay headers and think they are the best bang for the dollar. There are not many companies in the hi-performance world that have not shipped manufacturing off shore.
It's kind of like "In your own words", as Carlin pointed out would be the same words everyone else uses. Or after the first wheel was created all wheels after it has been copies. Some say the Ebay ones look to be made the same as the Hookers, but were the Hookers a novel design?? The same thing basically on the made in China heads and intakes, which are in some ways better and in some ways not as good as what we already had, but with huge price differences, as they were pricing the parts more like small block Chevies always have got (the lucky dogs).

I know you are not really against all this, as you handle some of the parts yourself and I think you should be commended for it.

Old March 19th, 2023, 10:36 AM

That's good to know. I have new pipes for my car that I plan to install some day and I was wondering what mufflers to use. Now I know. Thanks!
The one difference might be the materials. The original Sonic's as I remember were unpolished stainless, if I remember right. There are also more choices on case and tube sizes. The larger the case the better the flow and the quieter they are. Of course, just like the Sonic's they will get louder over time. The Sonic's were all the same size.
Old March 20th, 2023, 02:51 PM

I haven’t researched but I wouldn’t be surprised if there was an area in China named USA just so they could legally label parts as “Made in USA”.

that’s a rumor I have heard for years. I would not be the least bit surprised to find out it’s true.
Old March 20th, 2023, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
that’s a rumor I have heard for years. I would not be the least bit surprised to find out it’s true.
Parts of the foreigner/Asian bashing since at least after WWII and the hated for war purposes Japanese. This rumor was in regards to Japan.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/made-in-usa/

China has little reasons to play such games, since they can easily put any plants they wanted here. Just like this one. https://www.scmp.com/news/china/econ...ade-usa-desire

You see China out produces us, and is much larger and more powerful, and we are totally for sale. Just for everyone's edification.
Old March 21st, 2023, 08:13 AM

I didn't read the whole thread....but... You can install 455 headers on a 350 but not the other way around. The 350 sits lower than the 455 and has more room between the steering shaft and the header tubes, therefore the bend is not as tight. The 455 tubes are tucked in tighter for this reason. Get a set of cheap headers, from wherever, fit them in, bang 'em up, and send them out for ceramic coating after you're done. Then leave them in the plastic bags to protect them while reinstalling. (Remove the plastic bags before starting the car.....does this need to be mentioned? ha)
Old March 27th, 2023, 06:45 PM

Thank you, everyone for your expertise! I was able to find a set of Summit ceramic coated headers for a 455. Even though it says they will not fit, I am going to try anyway based on your feedback.