New Edelbrock Heads

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2021, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
As I’ve already mentioned repeatedly here and on FB, the previous published numbers were a bit optimistic, by about 5% or so. Knowing that, the new numbers probably won’t be that much different. To quote Bill Trovato “flow numbers aren’t everything”.
You guys have to understand the marketing side of aftermarket parts. Edelbrock knows the valve job can be improved, they know certain areas can be addressed to get those last few cfm. But the reality is that’s not their focus. Their focus is selling quality parts to the masses. And by the way their parts do carry a warranty.
In addition their new casting processes have now allowed them to make improvements in a lot of areas, keeping in mind the bulk of their business still being the mainstream guy throwing a top end kit on his car in the driveway over the weekend.
I’m not going to go into how I got them to do this, but needless to say it was based on what’s best for the Olds community and what will help them “sell units”.not worrying about flow numbers necessarily.

That all sounds reasonable. For the most part the Edelbrock parts are decent, just throw a valve job on there with some spring locators and your set. They look like a nice improvement over the previous casting. It will be interesting to see what Travoto can do with these.
Old January 3rd, 2021, 04:49 PM

Mark, outstanding job on the combustion chamber, first rate. Plug location and chamber design are the best. Can you get with DART now and work on a 4 bolt main 403?
Old January 3rd, 2021, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by dragline
Mark, outstanding job on the combustion chamber, first rate. Plug location and chamber design are the best. Can you get with DART now and work on a 4 bolt main 403?
Yyyyeah, thanks btw. But honestly I can’t take all the credit for the change in chamber design. You’re going to see them makes changes across their whole product line eventually.
I mentioned it before, there are a group of guys looking to do just that. Don’t know where they are in the process but I do know the effort is there. With that said I’m not sure you all realize the cost of doing stuff like that. It’s well into the 6 figures.

Last edited by cutlassefi; January 3rd, 2021 at 05:26 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2021, 08:49 PM

Google “Edelbrock 61025”.
I figured, you would know an E.T.A. of when the heads will be avail.
As I will be in the market for a set for a 350 olds and IIRC the correct pin height pistons, you had a piston vendor make. I dragged my feet on getting heads a few years ago, because of the fuel pump use issue with them on a 350.

Last edited by Grayghost; January 3rd, 2021 at 09:10 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2021, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by VC455
Summit Racing shows the new Edelbrock 455 head will ship in May.
O.K. I am working with the olds 350. I just thought I would ask about an E.T.A. from the horses mouth, as they say. While waiting on a reply, I went to Edelbrock site and They don't have any information on "up coming" new Oldsmobile heads. From lurking, I am sure the heads are a coming product., Just looking for ballpark time line so I can plan on how to budget for this. And get a set in hand before wife changes her mind on the budget allowance for the my Olds or finds a different use for the budgeted funds. A few years ago, because I was dragging my feet on what and how to rebuild the 350 Olds, she decided If I was in a hold pattern, the set aside funds could become a vacation trip, and the next years hobby budget could be used for the engine if I ever got around to making up my mind.
She has no issue with me spending on my fun vehicle, but if I wait she can find other uses for the funds. The trip was a blast, and I was asked before hand if the funds set aside for the hobby vehicle could be used for the vacation trip. but you see, I can't be asked questions like that if the funds are already spent on parts sitting on a shelf here. As I am a softy and tend to not say no, lol.

Last edited by Grayghost; January 3rd, 2021 at 09:12 PM.
Old January 4th, 2021, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Grayghost
O.K. I am working with the olds 350. I just thought I would ask about an E.T.A. from the horses mouth, as they say. While waiting on a reply, I went to Edelbrock site and They don't have any information on "up coming" new Oldsmobile heads. From lurking, I am sure the heads are a coming product., Just looking for ballpark time line so I can plan on how to budget for this. And get a set in hand before wife changes her mind on the budget allowance for the my Olds or finds a different use for the budgeted funds. A few years ago, because I was dragging my feet on what and how to rebuild the 350 Olds, she decided If I was in a hold pattern, the set aside funds could become a vacation trip, and the next years hobby budget could be used for the engine if I ever got around to making up my mind.
She has no issue with me spending on my fun vehicle, but if I wait she can find other uses for the funds. The trip was a blast, and I was asked before hand if the funds set aside for the hobby vehicle could be used for the vacation trip. but you see, I can't be asked questions like that if the funds are already spent on parts sitting on a shelf here. As I am a softy and tend to not say no, lol.
A perfect example of reasons not to get married.
Old January 4th, 2021, 05:15 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by 75 W-30 H/O
I have seen the other flip of the coin, dirty old weirdos whose only friend is their dog. When you get old and sick, do you really want to be alone? We are partners in this life and Children complicate things even more. We now have vehicle payments to make for my Daughter till she finds a job, living under our roof as well. She just graduated with a degree in Environmental Science. BTW, my Wife made $92,000 last year and spends very little other than her car payment which is only $600 a month. The boat payment was both our idea along with too much other debt. Oldsmobile's are important but there are other things in life. Yes, I have been taking to Mark about these heads for my 350 build.
Old January 4th, 2021, 05:40 AM

Lighten up Francis, it's called a joke .
Old January 4th, 2021, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by VORTECPRO
It would sure be nice to know how this turned out.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-build-131406/
No dyno numbers for now. It was run on a stand and performed as expected. Oil pressure was better than the first go around by a bunch. No metal in the filter.
Old January 4th, 2021, 06:57 AM

Best movie ever lol!!!
Old January 4th, 2021, 07:02 AM

Just send Mark the funds for the heads and he can order them for you. Problem solved.
lol
Old January 4th, 2021, 07:05 AM

Best movie ever lol!!!

Jesus, going to have to search out to watch it!!!
Old January 4th, 2021, 08:07 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Not angry, a lot people feel that way. Is that from Stripes?

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; January 4th, 2021 at 08:10 AM.
Old January 4th, 2021, 09:31 AM

It will be interesting to see if there are any DX builds with the stroker crank and new heads.

Old January 4th, 2021, 10:55 AM

And the regular bb Performer still works with some mods anyway.
I thought the only aftermarket intake that worked with a 455 OEM 70-72 OAI was the edelbrock o4B? What needs to be done to get the Performer to work? Is the performer better than than 04b?

Thanks!

Pat
Old January 4th, 2021, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by fasteddy
I thought the only aftermarket intake that worked with a 455 OEM 70-72 OAI was the edelbrock o4B? What needs to be done to get the Performer to work? Is the performer better than than 04b?

Thanks!
Pat
A lot of guys mill the carb pad 1/2” or so. Even with that the plenum is still larger than an O4B and that’s a good thing.
Old January 4th, 2021, 12:20 PM
Gary

What needs to be done to get the Performer to work [with a 455 OEM 70-72 OAI]?
Pat, refer to https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...arance-144272/ for some ideas to allow the Performer to work with an early 70s 455 OAI.
Old January 4th, 2021, 12:33 PM

A lot of guys mill the carb pad 1/2” or so. Even with that the plenum is still larger than an O4B and that’s a good thing.
okay, thanks.

I am thinking about getting these heads for my street engine. The car is a 1970 Supreme with a 4 speed. Currently a wide ratio with 3:42's, but thinking about putting the 3:08's back in to be more highway friendly. I have a 1970 455 30 over with TRW 2323 pistons, Not that it matters but I have a OEM forged crank. I currently have B heads which have been shaved a bunch. I have the heads off now as I was tracking down a valve train noise, which turned out to be my cam going bad.

I built this car, but did not own it for the last 25 years. It has 5,000 on the engine. I am thinking I won't be able to run pump gas with the shaved B heads.

If I went with the new Edelbrock roller cam heads, How much more power would I get over a flat tappet setup? Do the roller rockers fit under stock valve covers?

Pat
Old January 4th, 2021, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by VC455
Pat, refer to https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...arance-144272/ for some ideas to allow the Performer to work with an early 70s 455 OAI.
Thanks, I did see that. They do not appear to use the OEM flapper lid though.
Old January 4th, 2021, 01:47 PM

okay, thanks.

I am thinking about getting these heads for my street engine. The car is a 1970 Supreme with a 4 speed. Currently a wide ratio with 3:42's, but thinking about putting the 3:08's back in to be more highway friendly. I have a 1970 455 30 over with TRW 2323 pistons, Not that it matters but I have a OEM forged crank. I currently have B heads which have been shaved a bunch. I have the heads off now as I was tracking down a valve train noise, which turned out to be my cam going bad.

I built this car, but did not own it for the last 25 years. It has 5,000 on the engine. I am thinking I won't be able to run pump gas with the shaved B heads.

If I went with the new Edelbrock roller cam heads, How much more power would I get over a flat tappet setup? Do the roller rockers fit under stock valve covers?

Pat
All the new heads are the same except for the springs. That’s what determines roller or flat tappet.
And unless your heads are down around 70-72cc your compression shouldn’t be that high. The L2323 piston sits down in the hole a bit more than most, another reason why I don’t like that piston.
Old January 4th, 2021, 02:07 PM
Gary

Thanks, I did see that. They do not appear to use the OEM flapper lid though.
Pat, the Performer is 1.65" taller than the W-30 intake. Omitting the adapter to air cleaner gasket would gain 0.30". That's still a lot of mismatch unless you ditch the Quadrajet and go to a throttle body and MPFI.

Mark can help you with that.

Last edited by VC455; January 4th, 2021 at 02:10 PM.
Old January 4th, 2021, 02:54 PM

This is awesome, well done!
Old January 4th, 2021, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by 83hurstguy
This is awesome, well done!
Thank you!
Old January 4th, 2021, 05:17 PM

Just over form ROP and had to register to say thank you for giving us a great head to work with. I'd like to add a set to my existing 403 boat anchor, along with fuel injection that Bruce will help me with.
Great work Mark.
Joe
Old January 4th, 2021, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by propjoe
Just over form ROP and had to register to say thank you for giving us a great head to work with. I'd like to add a set to my existing 403 boat anchor, along with fuel injection that Bruce will help me with.
Great work Mark.
Joe
Thank you!! Bruce?
Old January 4th, 2021, 05:34 PM

Thank you!! Bruce?
My Friend Bruce Fleming with the 67 that hes just going through again. He'll help me with wiring, plus moral support.
I should start another post about my car...
Just wanted to thank you for these heads.
Joe
Old January 4th, 2021, 06:01 PM

My Friend Bruce Fleming with the 67 that hes just going through again. He'll help me with wiring, plus moral support.
I should start another post about my car...
Just wanted to thank you for these heads.
Joe
No problem, thanks Joe.
Old January 4th, 2021, 06:24 PM

Great work Mark.
Joe
Did you leave ROP for good or just wanted a place where things are more friendly? I left there a few months ago and don't miss it for a minute. There is a FB ROP page run by Peyton Hunt.
Old January 4th, 2021, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
Did you leave ROP for good or just wanted a place where things are more friendly? I left there a few months ago and don't miss it for a minute. There is a FB ROP page run by Peyton Hunt.
I'm not on ROP much anymore either. I keep hoping the guy I gave money to will make it right. I wont air out my *** pain from a select one or two there over on ROP about cylinder heads. I think all on here know who I'm talking about.
Mark is the Olds Cylinder head man that brought this nice Edelbrock product to us and I will not air that out in this thread. PM or email me if you want details.
No FB for Joe (Me) until I retire and I really do not see that happening. Again, needs another post.
Thanks Mark!
Old January 4th, 2021, 10:49 PM

Would it be safe to assume that this head will be a better starting point for everyone? Be it street builds, turbo/supercharger builds, NO2 builds?
Old January 4th, 2021, 10:53 PM

Attaching a blower would certainly solve any flow doubts
...Just looking for ballpark time line so I can plan on how to budget for this. And get a set in hand before wife changes her mind on the budget allowance...
I'd get in contact with their customer service and then ask them how you could pay in advance. That way, the money stays safe and you can explain to your wife that you're waiting for delivery
It depends on who one marries

Last edited by Killian_Mörder; January 4th, 2021 at 11:16 PM.
Old January 5th, 2021, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by EarlSpilner
Would it be safe to assume that this head will be a better starting point for everyone? Be it street builds, turbo/supercharger builds, NO2 builds?
Oh absolutely! Other than a true restoration why anyone would put any money into a set of irons from here on out makes absolutely no sense to me.
My mule will have just over 9.0:1 so I’m going to run it on 89 and maybe even 87. I think these will make respectable power with less mods, making the build less troublesome.
Old January 5th, 2021, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Killian_Mörder
I'd get in contact with their customer service and then ask them how you could pay in advance. That way, the money stays safe and you can explain to your wife that you're waiting for delivery
LOL Wife is a car gal. Into old cars/trucks/racing. That won't fly. She has her "blonde" moments,(we all do) but .Stupid she aint.
Old January 5th, 2021, 05:18 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Prop Joe is one of the unfortunate examples of Snake Oil Salesmen screwing someone who put out the money for the latest and greatest new Olds cylinder heads. Being these are from Edelbrock and Mark worked with them to be a product we can all use, this is totally different. If you like Mark, like me who has dealt with him for years, you will get a set through him and he will make sure you get the best product for your money. If you don't like Mark, like some on here don't for some reason, just buy from Edelbrock. You have a product you can basically bolt on from a reputable company that has been casting aluminum for decades. A win for anyone Olds, especially SBO guys like me. I too am really curious if these heads can pass 350 cfm on the intake side in maxed out form.

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; January 5th, 2021 at 08:05 AM.
Old January 5th, 2021, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bernhard
It will be interesting to see if there are any DX builds with the stroker crank and new heads.
I am wondering myself, before I fall in love with these heads.
Looking to do a DX stroker build in the near future but want to push some stupid power. Want to chase 800 ponies. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Old January 5th, 2021, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Kyle's77cutlass
Want to chase 800 ponies. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
N/A or with a power adder?
Old January 5th, 2021, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Kyle's77cutlass
I am wondering myself, before I fall in love with these heads.
Looking to do a DX stroker build in the near future but want to push some stupid power. Want to chase 800 ponies. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
This spring I will be starting on a 440ci Procharged "D" block that will be in the ballpark of 1000 hp. I will probably still be using the Rocket Racing heads though, as well as, one of Marks billet cranks.

Nice job Mark!
Old January 5th, 2021, 10:07 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Quick Question. Will A/C brackets mount up to the new heads? Would think so but just checking.
Old January 5th, 2021, 10:16 AM

I'm not on ROP much anymore either. I keep hoping the guy I gave money to will make it right. I wont air out my *** pain from a select one or two there over on ROP about cylinder heads. I think all on here know who I'm talking about.
Mark is the Olds Cylinder head man that brought this nice Edelbrock product to us and I will not air that out in this thread. PM or email me if you want details.
No FB for Joe (Me) until I retire and I really do not see that happening. Again, needs another post.
Thanks Mark!
Yeah I know exactly who screwed you out of $$$$$. He rears his ugly head on FB and gets called out sometimes for it too. I'm getting out of cars because of age and having a foot amputated due to a severe infection. I'm doing well up and walking tho. This deal with the new heads makes me want to do something but just can't make myself. Good Luck
Old January 5th, 2021, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by gear head
This spring I will be starting on a 440ci Procharged "D" block that will be in the ballpark of 1000 hp. I will probably still be using the Rocket Racing heads though, as well as, one of Marks billet cranks.

Nice job Mark!
2 things. Sonic check your bores before you take it out to 440ci, especially when attempting to make that much power.
And you might want to pm me regarding DX style cranks. We’ll need to get together regarding the next batch.
Thanks.

PS yes all brackets should fit same as before.

Quick Reply: New Edelbrock Heads