New Edelbrock heads flow specs

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2022, 11:20 AM

New Edelbrock heads flow specs

Hey guys,
For anyone interested one of my customers bought a set of the new Edelbrock heads. Just for my own curiosity I decided to have them flowed. Keep in mind that flow benches all vary a little bit but I feel that the guy who did mine is usually pretty darn accurate. He did them just the way they are out of the box.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Edelbrock 61025 Olds flow.pdf (23.8 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by BillK; August 26th, 2022 at 11:42 AM.
Old August 26th, 2022, 12:28 PM

Thanks Bill. Interesting with intake valve diameter 2.150 in. Would think it would be higher. Needs to be ported. Hope someone post ported numbers.
Old August 26th, 2022, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by HighwayStar 442
Thanks Bill. Interesting with intake valve diameter 2.150 in. Would think it would be higher. Needs to be ported. Hope someone post ported numbers.
The one thing he mentioned was the fact that it was still getting better at .700 lift. I asked him to go to .600 because the cam is around .540" In my opinion the exhaust port is terrible but for some reason the Edlebrock instructions say not to touch them ?? They have about a .060" step at the very end of the port that looks like it cant do any good.

The engine that this set is going on is really going to be restricted by the exhaust system so I am not going to fool with them. I think when its done and on the dyno I might try to round up a set of headers to try and see how much different they are from the exhaust manifolds that are going to be used.
Old August 26th, 2022, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by BillK
The one thing he mentioned was the fact that it was still getting better at .700 lift. I asked him to go to .600 because the cam is around .540" In my opinion the exhaust port is terrible but for some reason the Edlebrock instructions say not to touch them ?? They have about a .060" step at the very end of the port that looks like it cant do any good.

The engine that this set is going on is really going to be restricted by the exhaust system so I am not going to fool with them. I think when its done and on the dyno I might try to round up a set of headers to try and see how much different they are from the exhaust manifolds that are going to be used.
Exhaust ports are CNC profiled for optimum performance and should not be enlarged to fit the header gaskets. But not shall not.
Old August 26th, 2022, 01:10 PM

Exhaust ports are CNC profiled for optimum performance and should not be enlarged to fit the header gaskets. But not shall not.
I guess

Old August 26th, 2022, 02:01 PM

Sometimes the first time around for new products. They will need some adjustments. Looks like it needs a little clean-up. Do you have more close up shots? Please load them.
Old August 26th, 2022, 03:39 PM

Hey guys,
For anyone interested one of my customers bought a set of the new Edelbrock heads. Just for my own curiosity I decided to have them flowed. Keep in mind that flow benches all vary a little bit but I feel that the guy who did mine is usually pretty darn accurate. He did them just the way they are out of the box.

I can't believe thats all they could come up with, To put this into perspective, my production 291casting small block head cast in 1967 with a 2.05 intake valve literally smokes that head at every lift point by a large degree, what a disgrace...........
Old August 26th, 2022, 04:06 PM

edelbrock

Yes! VORTECPRO Queen of the Narcissist. Only you can do better.

I do not doubt Bill testing. But the closes up pictures. Look like edelbrock did not clean up ports openings correctly.
Old August 26th, 2022, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by VORTECPRO
I can't believe thats all they could come up with, To put this into perspective, my production 291casting small block head cast in 1967 with a 2.05 intake valve literally smokes that head at every lift point by a large degree, what a disgrace...........
So your Chevy heads have a low entry angle, a 6* valve angle, and consequently a horrible short side, and flow better than these? Really, hmmm.
Who gives a shyt about your Chevy stuff anyway. You don’t like them, then don’t buy them. Better yet, go away.

Last edited by cutlassefi; August 26th, 2022 at 05:07 PM.
Old August 26th, 2022, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
So your Chevy heads have a low entry angle, a 6* valve angle, and consequently a horrible short side, and flow better than these? Really, hmmm.
Who gives a shyt about your Chevy stuff anyway. You don’t like them, then don’t buy them. Better yet, go away.

It really doesn't matter who produces a part, it just seems strange a a head cast in 1967 for a small block for heavens sake could be so much better than a 2022 Aftermarket head. It just seems they could do much better.

Some pictures for your viewing pleasure........

Last edited by VORTECPRO; August 26th, 2022 at 06:51 PM.
Old August 26th, 2022, 06:56 PM

There you go, posting Chevy **** again. I knew it wouldn’t take long.
Old August 26th, 2022, 07:41 PM

Apples and Oranges. This one has been heavily ported head, the other not. How to kill any forum? See below.

VORTECPRO Queen of the Impertinence.and irrelevant
Old August 26th, 2022, 07:52 PM

How does the bad inner port end up out flowing the good outer port, by a wide margin?

that’s nuts. Something isn’t right.

for a 2.150”, that’s horrific
Old August 26th, 2022, 07:55 PM

Apples and Oranges. This one has been heavily ported head, the other not. How to kill any forum? See below.

VORTECPRO Queen of the Impertinence.and irrelevant
It has been heavily ported, but You would think a purpose built aftermarket big block head with a 2.150 intake valve would get on it, but in reality it doesn't even come close. You would think they could do better.
Old August 26th, 2022, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by CANADIANOLDS
How does the bad inner port end up out flowing the good outer port, by a wide margin?

Your going to have a helluva time making a steetable 500 HP on my dyno with good vacuum
Old August 26th, 2022, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by CANADIANOLDS

Baby Boomers have mostly retired or dead. We are the one who know how to make things work. It will get worse before it gets better. .
Old August 26th, 2022, 08:21 PM

Baby Boomers have mostly retired or dead. We are the one who know how to make things work. It will get worse before it gets better. .
Translation?
Old August 26th, 2022, 08:28 PM

Here is a stock LS1 head for reference with 2.00"/1.56" valves.

Old August 26th, 2022, 08:33 PM

They have fewer workers, who know what they are doing. Quality has gone downhill. Eh.

I forgot.US, Canada and England. Are separated by a common language.

Stage 2 batten olds head flow numbers
2.19" intake valve - 1.680" exhaust valve
as received valve job
with a "clean-up" bowl port only.

Lift ..... int ..... exh. (no tube)
.100 .... 75.8 ..., 69.8
.200 ....142.4 ... 117.9
.300 ....207.1 ... 158.0
.400 ....255.7 ... 180.7
.500 ....286.1 ... 193.8
.600 ....315.0 ... 202.2
.700 ....331.6 ... 206.5
.750 ....338.7 ... 209.6

Last edited by HighwayStar 442; August 26th, 2022 at 08:36 PM.
Old August 26th, 2022, 09:24 PM

Why is everyone so hung up on numbers? Slap some shjt together, drive it, and enjoy.
Old August 26th, 2022, 09:53 PM

Because as a rule of thumb, assuming everything else is up to par.... Max intake port flow (heads with intake) x .25714 x number of cylinders is the approximate HP capability of the engine.

Old August 26th, 2022, 10:42 PM

It will be interesting to see what others come up with, and how well they flow after there full potential is unlocked.
Old August 27th, 2022, 03:43 AM

that be a great test to see the results. Whats the cam set up and intake going to be?
Old August 27th, 2022, 05:58 AM

Jesus people, this site is getting worse and worse.
They tell you not to open up the exhaust because you’d have to take it out on the floor, the roof is pretty much as high as it’ll go. And taking it out on the floor will reduce flow, period.
Secondly, and I’ve already told Bill this, but I’ve had these flowed on two other benches, as well as Edelbrock giving me numbers almost 2 years ago. ALL, I repeat ALL showed about 5% more flow that what Bills guy found. Not saying he’s wrong, just conservative.
And I’ve already made 514/571 with this head, so theyll be fine for most applications. No I’m not posting Dyno sheets, and the owner isn’t going to race it. So you can believe it not, I really don’t care.
Old August 27th, 2022, 06:13 AM

It really doesn't matter who produces a part, it just seems strange a a head cast in 1967 for a small block for heavens sake could be so much better than a 2022 Aftermarket head. It just seems they could do much better.

That because Edelbrock didn't design them, Cutassefi did !
​​​​​

Old August 27th, 2022, 06:37 AM

Edelbrock did design the big block head. The engineer on the project at the time was a guy by the name of Matt Gamble, he’s no longer there as he didn’t make the move, he’s at Gale Banks now.
And for the last time, they’re not going to change the port location.

Last edited by cutlassefi; August 27th, 2022 at 06:39 AM.
Old August 27th, 2022, 06:46 AM

Okay spill the beans why are you always busting on cutlassefi Mark? Just what has he done that bothers you so much? I don't always agree with him but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate what he tries to do for some on the site. What are you doing as a few have told me to set the world on fire?
Old August 27th, 2022, 07:32 AM

... In my opinion the exhaust port is terrible but for some reason the Edlebrock instructions say not to touch them ??
Isn't a .7 ex to intake ratio or better considered good?
These are at roughly .75 so flow wise they are ok, even though the port looks a little crude.

With the technology of today, we need a fully CNC'd version.
Old August 27th, 2022, 07:42 AM

How many people are running cams over 0.600 lift?
Old August 27th, 2022, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
Isn't a .7 ex to intake ratio or better considered good?
These are at roughly .75 so flow wise they are ok, even though the port looks a little crude.

With the technology of today, we need a fully CNC'd version.
Thank you. Working on a CNC program.
And just an fyi for all. Edelbrock is very aware of all of this. Even the average guy can go in and clean up some of this, do a more performance valve job, and pick up a few more cfm/hp. That discussion occurred more than once.
Bottom line is, you don’t like em, don’t buy em.
Buy the Speedmasters and do a bunch more work to those just to get em to this point. The feedback has been very positive elsewhere, just not on here, ROP jr.

Last edited by cutlassefi; August 27th, 2022 at 07:47 AM.
Old August 27th, 2022, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by fleming442
How many people are running cams over 0.600 lift?
Not many. BUT again these heads were done this way with POTENTIAL in mind, ie being able to raise the intake entry a bunch if desired etc.
Old August 27th, 2022, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by wr1970
Okay spill the beans why are you always busting on cutlassefi Mark? Just what has he done that bothers you so much? I don't always agree with him but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate what he tries to do for some on the site. What are you doing as a few have told me to set the world on fire?
No one is busting on Mark Cutlassefi!
Bill K posted flow numbers for the New Edelbrock heads and it just so happen that they are not flattering. This is not Marks fault nor does it mean the heads will not perform better than the currant out of the box cylinder heads. For the typical Oldsmobile enthusiast these heads will be fine out of the box. Lets see what these head are capable of in the hands of the likes off Bill T before we pass judgment on Edelbrocks latest Oldsmobile offering.
Mark Cutlassefi relax you don't have to defend every post to the death regarding products you helped bring to the market.

Last edited by Bernhard; August 27th, 2022 at 01:37 PM.
Old August 27th, 2022, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by bernhard
no one is busting on mark cutlassefi!
Bill k posted flow numbers for the new edelbrock heads and it just so happen that they are not faltering. This is not marks fault nor does it mean the heads will not perform better than the currant out of the box cylinder heads. For the typical oldsmobile enthusiast these heads will be fine out of the box. Lets see what these head are capable of in the hands of the likes off bill t before we pass judgment on edelbrocks latest oldsmobile offering.
Mark cutlassefi relax you don't have to defend every post to the death regarding products you helped bring to the market.
x2
Old August 27th, 2022, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
Jesus people, this site is getting worse and worse.
They tell you not to open up the exhaust because you’d have to take it out on the floor, the roof is pretty much as high as it’ll go. And taking it out on the floor will reduce flow, period.
Secondly, and I’ve already told Bill this, but I’ve had these flowed on two other benches, as well as Edelbrock giving me numbers almost 2 years ago. ALL, I repeat ALL showed about 5% more flow that what Bills guy found. Not saying he’s wrong, just conservative.
And I’ve already made 514/571 with this head, so theyll be fine for most applications. No I’m not posting Dyno sheets, and the owner isn’t going to race it. So you can believe it not, I really don’t care.

You can't post dyno sheets with supporting data, (but you like to ask others for them) because they will be picked apart. Here's my math:

246.7 CFM @ .500 lift, you will need atleast .580 to see .500 lift @ the valve. Simply those heads will not make 500 HP on my dyno with a 220s @ .050 cam, the low lift flow is deficient. Bottom line is: just port the heads, theres no place but up at that point.

Last edited by VORTECPRO; August 27th, 2022 at 11:25 AM.
Old August 27th, 2022, 11:45 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Don't worry Mark Remmel, nearly everyone attacks anything you help bring to market. Their new Olds focused products are pictured below.
Old August 27th, 2022, 01:06 PM

You can't post dyno sheets with supporting data, (but you like to ask others for them) because they will be picked apart. Here's my math:

246.7 CFM @ .500 lift, you will need atleast .580 to see .500 lift @ the valve. Simply those heads will not make 500 HP on my dyno with a 220s @ .050 cam, the low lift flow is deficient. Bottom line is: just port the heads, theres no place but up at that point.
I don’t even ask anymore, because I really don’t care.

Last edited by cutlassefi; August 27th, 2022 at 01:42 PM.
Old August 27th, 2022, 03:14 PM

I am curious what the max power these heads could make after porting?
Old August 27th, 2022, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmoboogie
I am curious what the max power these heads could make after porting?
We are all waiting to know.
Old August 27th, 2022, 05:20 PM

Here's my math: 246.7 CFM @ .500 lift, you will need atleast .580 to see .500 lift @ the valve. Simply those heads will not make 500 HP on my dyno with a 220s @ .050 cam, the low lift flow is deficient.
Can you clarify this ?
Old August 27th, 2022, 07:38 PM

Ralph

Generally you will see about .85% of the theoretical lift at the valve when the engine is running due to flex/deflection.

Quick Reply: New Edelbrock heads flow specs