Out of the box Edelbrock heads

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2023, 09:43 AM

Out of the box Edelbrock heads

The picture is from Real Olds Power facebook

Last edited by Bernhard; December 23rd, 2023 at 09:47 AM.
Old December 23rd, 2023, 07:15 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Looks like a 5 year old was a little aggressive dropping in the dull end mill.

Look at all the heli coils for overlooked tails not snapped off...as per normal procedure.

Buddy just bought a loaded set for a SBC. Few of the head bolts naturally poke into the intake runners by design. EBrocks QA missed several tails. Guess what snapped off as the head bolts were being installed and then got sucked into a brand new engine.

(SPECULATION ONLY) Ill bet EB is farming things out south of the boarder...or worse the other side of the ocean, Vic IS rolling in his grave.
Status quo with today's current economic and lack of quality supplier environment.
Old December 24th, 2023, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Looks like a 5 year old was a little aggressive dropping in the dull end mill.

Look at all the heli coils for overlooked tails not snapped off...as per normal procedure.

Buddy just bought a loaded set for a SBC. Few of the head bolts naturally poke into the intake runners by design. EBrocks QA missed several tails. Guess what snapped off as the head bolts were being installed and then got sucked into a brand new engine.

(SPECULATION ONLY) Ill bet EB is farming things out south of the boarder...or worse the other side of the ocean, Vic IS rolling in his grave.
Status quo with today's current economic and lack of quality supplier environment.
Your speculation is 100% incorrect.
For the record, VIC himself sold the company years ago. And the only other place that does the machine work for Edelbrock is Pat Musi. Look him up if you don’t know who he is.
And your buddy is wrong. The head bolts don’t protrude into the intake runners, the rocker studs do. Get your story straight before you print it.
Old December 24th, 2023, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
Your speculation is 100% incorrect.
For the record, VIC himself sold the company years ago. And the only other place that does the machine work for Edelbrock is Pat Musi. Look him up if you don’t know who he is.
And your buddy is wrong. The head bolts don’t protrude into the intake runners, the rocker studs do. Get your story straight before you print it.
🤣 Interesting.
Old December 24th, 2023, 09:41 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Oh my bad, I meant rocker studs not head studs.

We have pictures of ALL the tails some still in place as well as piston & head carnage..my buddy is not wrong, I misspoke.

The customer service was not spectacular with what was clearly a missed quality control step. Black eye #1
I wouldn't put my name on those spring pockets shown above would you? #2

The take away here for the folks who are not seasoned grease eaters is to never trust anything out of the box. Always check & verify... and avoid the chineasium JUNK to the 10th order.

Vic is still rollin...

These are the facts.

Ya'll have a great holiday season.
Steve

Old December 24th, 2023, 10:35 AM
Banned

They do look Mexican made "quality".
Old December 24th, 2023, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Vic is still rollin...
These are the facts.
Ya'll have a great holiday season.
Steve
Why would he still be rolling? Just curious.
Thank you.

Last edited by cutlassefi; December 25th, 2023 at 08:07 AM.
Old December 24th, 2023, 11:49 AM

What about this builders views on out of the box heads?

Facebook Post

Facebook Post
·

Just a follow up to our last post!
We're not selling Edelbrock Oldsmobile cylinder heads, out of the box from Edelbrock until they can prove to us they're worthy of our confidence in a quality product being produced by them...
That being said We're only offering our Premium Package Blueprinted cylinder heads, but are currently months behind on building these heads!
Old December 25th, 2023, 08:10 AM

Let me tell you, this is not exclusive to Olds, or Edelbrock etc.
Unfortunately you can find issues with just about any aftermarket part. That’s what separates the guys who know from the ones who don’t know.

Note; The last three sets I went through were fine. The guides were a little bit snug, but fine for an NA application. Valve job was good, surface was off a few thousands but otherwise not bad.

Theres a date on every box. If whoever is finding these issues isn’t forwarding that info to Edelbrock, they’re not doing anybody any good. They’re just muddying the water to make themselves look better than the rest.

Last edited by cutlassefi; December 25th, 2023 at 08:19 AM.
Old December 25th, 2023, 09:40 PM
Banned

Amen Brother. To see once quality brand names slide south sucks. Edelbrock was once one of the most respected names out there. Now it is nothing more than a name.

I know Mexican lack of quality. That sure looks south of the boarder hack to me.
Old December 26th, 2023, 06:52 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Unfortunately family run companies don't exist anymore. Thank Corporate America for wanting to own every name out there to sell it to the shareholders. As said, there are issues with every product, every now and then. I'm not saying any of the experts are liars but they are also salesmen selling their own services. If Edelbrock doesn't release their small chamber version of their head this year, I will pick up a pair of Procomp heads next and send them to Mark to mill and go through. People argue they are Chinese junk, it sounds like the casting and machining is done right, if nothing else. Quality control slipped on those Edelbrock heads. Edelbrock has been hammering out a ton of products, just to catch up, some bad will get by quality control. Look at Dave's and my issues with time frame and work not either done properly or not at all from local machine shops with huge wait times on top of it. Add in the cost of parts going through the roof, unfortunately the new reality. I should sell my extra sets of roller rocker arms, have seen the price of them lately?

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; December 26th, 2023 at 06:58 AM.
Old December 26th, 2023, 08:08 AM
Gearhead

Originally Posted by Bernhard

What about this builders views on out of the box heads?

=AZVyHvQY1PhA5x6WCta23_bQirJ4AYM8ofbg4QC_U87_eoCay _FjS5NaOTN9d4jrlPXob62IGEaIiKWz9Q03vJiI6WPA9BfbRHO jljHoPnJgHYmSAymbGTx8OeMCVD3ajoM2vxYgqo8AxgMSf2qF4 zK3--OqnpGqaSH5DvmxIbL_NY0dVLdnCVqsVg863VWha8s&__tn__=-UC%2CP-R]Bernard Mondello Racing Enterprises

=AZVyHvQY1PhA5x6WCta23_bQirJ4AYM8ofbg4QC_U87_eoCay _FjS5NaOTN9d4jrlPXob62IGEaIiKWz9Q03vJiI6WPA9BfbRHO jljHoPnJgHYmSAymbGTx8OeMCVD3ajoM2vxYgqo8AxgMSf2qF4 zK3--OqnpGqaSH5DvmxIbL_NY0dVLdnCVqsVg863VWha8s&__tn__=% 2CO%2CP-R]May 11 ·
Just a follow up to our last post!
We're not selling Edelbrock Oldsmobile cylinder heads, out of the box from Edelbrock until they can prove to us they're worthy of our confidence in a quality product being produced by them...
That being said We're only offering our Premium Package Blueprinted cylinder heads, but are currently months behind on building these heads!
What specifically is wrong with this head?
Old December 26th, 2023, 08:14 AM
Gearhead

Here is a quick pic of mine. They don't appear to be that bad. Tomorrow I'm going to remove some valves and inspect further.
Old December 26th, 2023, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by oldsrush
Here is a quick pic of mine. They don't appear to be that bad. Tomorrow I'm going to remove some valves and inspect further.
The push rod hole in the picture looks like it could be cleaned up?
Old December 26th, 2023, 01:59 PM

that one pushrod hole opening looks bad. I can also see some bad spots on the stud threads..click on my pic for a close up

Old December 26th, 2023, 02:53 PM

I get the issue here, really I do. But if any of you have a problem with them, then don’t fvckin buy them. Simple, buy Speedmasters or have Peyton Hunt make you a set of billets for 10K.
Some of you guys would bitch about a free lunch. I get it but Christ almighty. Nobody is MAKING you buy these, SO DON’T!

Last edited by cutlassefi; December 26th, 2023 at 02:57 PM.
Old December 26th, 2023, 03:55 PM

I get the issue here, really I do. But if any of you have a problem with them, then don’t fvckin buy them. Simple, buy Speedmasters or have Peyton Hunt make you a set of billets for 10K.
Some of you guys would bitch about a free lunch. I get it but Christ almighty. Nobody is MAKING you buy these, SO DON’T!
Mark no one is saying not to buy them !!! Just to blueprint them before you bolt them on, I don't see what the big deal is and why you are so defensive. I personally would not install any part out of the box, be it an oil pump,pistons, connecting rods or aftermarket heads it makes no difference. Performance engine building is all about the details. This thread is about sharing what others have found with there out of the box heads, its not a bash thread like you are making it out to be.
Old December 26th, 2023, 04:22 PM

holy cow! relax before you have a heart attack. You are already dead wrong on it being an isolated incident. It sure as hell isn’t from multiple posts by multiple people.

that one single pic of just a portion of one head I commented on shows a bunch of garbage machining. I’ll bet the other 15 pushrod holes also have loose flakes of aluminum ready to fall off..are you blind? you can also see at the bottom edge of the seat under the seat cup, more loose flakes that are barely hanging on.

that rocker stud looks like cheap offshore junk..threads are ***** that style of hex is NOT an ARP style. Even the black oxide is flaking off..Edelbrocks use to come with ARP rocker studs.. here’s a used one for comparison to the one in the pic. you defending this type of poor quality control and then calling those showing it cry babies is rich

here, put your glasses on before you put your foot in your mouth any further. Edelbrock needs a kick in their *** for sending stuff like this out..not excuses from you

Last edited by CANADIANOLDS; December 26th, 2023 at 04:37 PM.
Old December 26th, 2023, 04:25 PM

By the way…those posts by Bernard Mondello are 8 months old. This isn’t new or isolated,,obviously.
Old December 26th, 2023, 04:28 PM

are the tops of the rocker studs stamped ARP or did you install your own studs and guide plates?

Last edited by CANADIANOLDS; December 26th, 2023 at 04:58 PM.
Old December 26th, 2023, 04:48 PM

Just wait to you see the machine work on the OE heads...
Old December 26th, 2023, 05:19 PM

As mentioned, if whoever is having an issue, take the date off the box and let them know you’re having a problem. That helps everyone.
Old December 26th, 2023, 05:22 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

What an Oldsmobile head thread heading South? What a shock🙄.
Old December 26th, 2023, 05:31 PM

As mentioned, if whoever is having an issue, take the date off the box and let them know you’re having a problem. That helps everyone.

This is actually helpful. Years ago I worked for a heavy equipment company. They were having an abnormal amount of wheel bearing failures on skid steers. There was seemingly no reason for it as the design and parts were unchanged for a couple of years and there were no prior issues. The engineers started to feel heat and started looking up the failed builds by the serial number. They were able to pinpoint that the failed hubs were all assembled by the same employee. The engineers pulled one of his machines and tore it apart. They found the hubs were not being torqued to spec or greased properly. Needless to say he was fired..
Old December 26th, 2023, 06:17 PM

Bernhard wrote:
Feed back is always a good idea, especially when its bad as it allows manufactures a chance to review there product QC. You had no problem sharing the Thornton oil pan short comings. I would think everyone was happy that you were willing to share your experience with the product. This allowed all those that wanted to purchase, insight into possible issues with the pan.
Old December 27th, 2023, 01:34 PM

GM is having the same issues with part suppliers putting out bad quality. Hence why all the engine failures on the new Chevy trucks. Post COVID marketplace has been abysmal with quality control and high prices on supplies.

Even with house builds. I was paying $150 a yard for concrete back in 2019 and now it's $210 a yard (a 40% increase). Labor rates for construction workers have doubled and sometimes even tripled. Tradesmen are scarce and getting scarcer. It's going to get ugly out there with construction in the foreseeable future.
Old January 6th, 2024, 04:33 PM
Gearhead

Does anyone know the valve spring specs on these heads as from Edelbrock? Installed height? Seat pressure? Open pressure? Spring rate? Coil bind. Planning on checking some of mine but can't find anything published on them.
Old January 8th, 2024, 02:16 PM

Does anyone know the valve spring specs on these heads as from Edelbrock? Installed height? Seat pressure? Open pressure? Spring rate? Coil bind. Planning on checking some of mine but can't find anything published on them.
flats are 1.8” installed @128 lbs
Old January 8th, 2024, 04:45 PM

Rollers are 140@1.770. Open has been 390-400 at .580-.600 lift. Bind is .080-.100 from that.
Old January 8th, 2024, 05:43 PM
Gearhead

Rollers are 140@1.770. Open has been 390-400 at .580-.600 lift. Bind is .080-.100 from that.
Did some measuring today. Checked 2 valves on each head, installed height was 1.800" +- .002". Seat press @ the 1.800" was 135lbs. +- 5lbs. The tester I used has not been calibrated in many years but I think it is fairly accurate. At 565 lift got 415lbs +- 10lbs. The sheet with heads states 150lb seat press and installed height of 1.800", but no spring rate. Based on some of their other springs I'm guessing the spring rate is 465lbs/inch. By feel guide clearance seems to be good and seals looked to be good quality. So far I'm pleased with the heads and see no deburring needed. I will post some pics tomorrow.
Old January 9th, 2024, 11:56 AM
Gearhead

Finally got to talk with someone at Edelbrock. I think they use a variety of manufactures for valve springs so facts may or may not be correct. Said my heads have part #5767 springs, 150# on the seat @1.800", @600 lift 420lbs. but could not tell me spring rate. Said they are 1.460" dia but I only measure 1.430". They are a dual spring with a dampener.

Old January 10th, 2024, 12:49 AM

Your springs should be recommended by your cam manufacturer. Edelbrock shouldn't even try to provide springs.
Old January 10th, 2024, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by fleming442
Your springs should be recommended by your cam manufacturer. Edelbrock shouldn't even try to provide springs.
Actually those numbers are pretty good for most rollers.
And just an fyi for all, the lifter being used also determines the pressures needed. Some lifters will take more or less pressures.
Old January 10th, 2024, 06:00 AM

As long as the spring pressures are good then it's fine. Note that I had problems getting consistent spring pressures from brand new sets from Comp: +20% variance in one set! And I bet 0.030" difference in measuring spring OD is just measurement difference or manufacturing tolerance. I doubt a spring manufacturer would attempt to make a 1.46" and a 1.43" spring.
Old January 10th, 2024, 01:13 PM
1972 Cutlass Town Sedan

Funny your ripping on the heads thinking there china made, my speedmasters looked way better out of the box. those pics you posted I would be afarid to run those and have that junk into the engine.
Old January 10th, 2024, 03:39 PM

Did some measuring today. Checked 2 valves on each head, installed height was 1.800" +- .002". Seat press @ the 1.800" was 135lbs. +- 5lbs. The tester I used has not been calibrated in many years but I think it is fairly accurate. At 565 lift got 415lbs +- 10lbs. The sheet with heads states 150lb seat press and installed height of 1.800", but no spring rate. Based on some of their other springs I'm guessing the spring rate is 465lbs/inch. By feel guide clearance seems to be good and seals looked to be good quality. So far I'm pleased with the heads and see no deburring needed. I will post some pics tomorrow.
using your numbers your spring rate is all over the place..from a low of 469 to a high of 522

a 10lbs variance at installed height and 20lbs at lift tells me your spring checker is out of whack.

you don’t “feel” valve guide clearance or eyeball valve seals to determine quality. If you still think those heads don’t need to be disassembled, de burred and washed, you need glasses. We can all see the torn/ripped aluminum at the edges of the machined surfaces. There is also some blacking which tells me they were cut with a lack of coolant or none at all..or dull tooling.

I’m not picking on you..this is about the heads. Edelbrock should also be ashamed of themselves for calling their spring seat locators, a spring seat locator…they aren’t locators, they are only protecting the head from being eaten up by the spring. It’s a cheap stamped piece of sheet metal with a big radius O.D. that does nothing to prevent the spring from bouncing all over the place. It’s just a shim.

a proper spring seat locator is meant to be a snug fit so the spring isn’t walking all over the place.

Last edited by CANADIANOLDS; January 10th, 2024 at 03:44 PM.
Old January 10th, 2024, 03:42 PM

Ten minutes with this simple tool is all that’s needed

Old January 10th, 2024, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by skyhigh
Funny your ripping on the heads thinking there china made, my speedmasters looked way better out of the box. those pics you posted I would be afarid to run those and have that junk into the engine.
nailed it
Old January 10th, 2024, 05:45 PM
Gearhead

When you see it.....

Product Line:
Edelbrock Sure Seat Valve Springs
Summit Racing Part Number:
EDL-5767
UPC:
Valve Spring Style:
Standard
Number of Springs Per Valve: