Performance 455 Rebuild Suggestions:

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2014, 06:08 AM

cutlassefi my dyno sheet is attached in regards to BSFC#HP-Hr, I have a 870 Holley Street Avenger for carb. I am no engine guru by far but trust my engine builder in regards to the info and results.

Scooter with the engine in the car I run about 40psi at idle and between 50-60 while driving and hard acceleration. Overall I'm happy for a street vehicle with A/C and power brakes, 2004R is next
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SDC11076.jpg (71.6 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg
SDC11081.jpg (85.7 KB, 122 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
488ci Olds BB Dyno Results.pdf (48.3 KB, 101 views)
Old August 7th, 2014, 07:08 AM

Doesn't matter what the dyno sheet says, you don't have a bsfc of .275 period. If you did your engine builder would be showing the way in F1.
His flow meter is wrong.
Old August 7th, 2014, 09:35 AM

cutlassefi, you are correct in your statement, i thought I had the most effecient big block ever built
Old August 7th, 2014, 09:36 AM
Engine Builder

I have to agree. More like .4-.5 on a carbed V8. An honest .275 would be earth shattering. The ooil companies would be lining up at His door to buy him out and stop him from ever building another engine.
Old August 12th, 2014, 06:41 AM

cutlassefi what custom cam grind or shelf cam would you recommend that would have maintained my torque over a broader powerband 5500rpm but kept peeks around 600ft/lb @ 3700 which I was at?
Old August 13th, 2014, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Dool Cat
Great build! I went with Eagle kit 488 with thumpr hyd roller cam and made peaks of 586 tq @ 3600rpm and 487 hp @ 5000rpm.
I would attribute the duration and lift of your cam giving you higher peaks along with running it at cooler temps in which we ran mine at 181.
My avg oil pressure from 3k-5k rpm was 38.4 and my avg BSFC#/HP-Hr avg .275.

So was it 600@3700 or as stated above?
Was the Thumpr cam installed on the 102 ICL as recommended?
Even with no dyno sheet to see where the rest of the curve is, I'll take a stab at it anyway. I most likely would have done something on a 110 with less exhaust duration than you have.
Thumpr's are mostly to make noise, they're not necessarily the best at making power.

Last edited by cutlassefi; August 13th, 2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old August 13th, 2014, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
So was it 600@3700 or as stated above?
Was the Thumpr cam installed on the 102 ICL as recommended?
Even with no dyno sheet to see where the rest of the curve is, I'll take a stab at it anyway. I most likely would have done something on a 110 with less exhaust duration than you have.
Thumpr's are mostly to make noise, they're not necessarily the best at making power.
Cutlassefi it is what was stated above 585ft/lb @3700. If you go to my post prior to this you will see the attached dyno sheet for your reference and assitance. It was installed on 102 ICL
Old August 13th, 2014, 07:02 PM

Sorry overlooked that.
You left hp on the table with your oil temp only being 90*, if that's correct.
Your build peaks way too early, even for a 488. Going on corrected hp it's a bit low overall.
Did you mill the center divider on the intake?
Your cam is wrong for this build. A cam like the one I used for "70cutty" would have been better, especially done on a 112 for a stroker build like yours.

Jmo.
Old August 14th, 2014, 05:49 AM

Sorry overlooked that.
Your build peaks way too early, even for a 488. Going on corrected hp it's a bit low overall.
Your cam is wrong for this build. A cam like the one I used for "70cutty" would have been better, especially done on a 112 for a stroker build like yours.

Jmo.
Cutlassefi if the oil temp on the dyno is correct whats your guestimate of peak HP/TQ if it would have been ran at 190* or so? I will question my engine builder on the accuracy of that reading.
I don't believe he milled the center divider on the intake of the RPM Air Gap intake, just port matched to heads.

Thanks for the info.
Old August 14th, 2014, 06:07 AM

Sorry overlooked that.

Jmo.
Cutlassefi "70cutty" corrected dyno sheets don't compare to mine in regards to torque or hp and the curve is very similar(where peaks aree)? Are you stating that this cam would perform better with my combination because the thumpr out performed that custom grind just looking at the dyno sheets.
Old August 14th, 2014, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Dool Cat
Cutlassefi "70cutty" corrected dyno sheets don't compare to mine in regards to torque or hp and the curve is very similar(where peaks aree)? Are you stating that this cam would perform better with my combination because the thumpr out performed that custom grind just looking at the dyno sheets.
Uhh I think you're comparing the wrong sheets. CHP to CHP (corrected, not measured) hp and torque are pretty similar, and he did it with 35 less cubic inches. Not sure what you're asking.
Bottom line is the cam you have probably sounds great. But it's wrong for your combination imo.

I'm confused by your comparison. One more time, IMO you have the wrong cam in your motor for POWER, not noise.

Thanks.

Last edited by cutlassefi; August 14th, 2014 at 07:06 AM.
Old August 14th, 2014, 08:13 AM

Uhh I think you're comparing the wrong sheets. CHP to CHP (corrected, not measured) hp and torque are pretty similar, and he did it with 35 less cubic inches. Not sure what you're asking.
Bottom line is the cam you have probably sounds great. But it's wrong for your combination imo.

I'm confused by your comparison. One more time, IMO you have the wrong cam in your motor for POWER, not noise.

Thanks.
cutlassefi I was comparing the corrected sheet with correct water temps and not 133*(apples to apples) sheet you are referencing. I have no alliance to the Thumpr cam that's just what my builder put in. I have no real technical expertice when it comes to engines as this was my first major build. I'm just trying to learn as I go along and gain as much knowledge as I can so next time a can do it better. Alot of guys on here entrust you in their cam selection and I respect that, that's why I was asking for your recommendation I'm already convinced that builder could have picked a cam that could have maximized my power output.

Thanks man
Old August 14th, 2014, 09:55 AM

No problem, just didn't understand exactly where you were coming from or headed.
Yes your builder picked the wrong cam. That's common though, they read too many magazines. Comp Cams has a lot of people brainwashed.
Old August 25th, 2014, 10:45 PM

455 Build Update

Hi all,

Just a quick update on my 455 stroker build.

I had some good runs at the track this last weekend and best so far is 11.54 @ 117 mph with a DA of 2000 ft and a car that weighs 3850 with me in it.
The calculator says the mill is putting out 579 HP.

FYI: I am running 35 deg of total timing and run 91 octane gas with a 15-20% splash of C12 race fule for a total octane of ~ 95.

All the specs are at the top of the thread. Only changes are I am running a TCS 4000 stall converter (was supposed to be 2800-3400 stall but the Olds torque monster is a little overpowering). It is a race grade converter with anti balloon plate etc.

FYI: I noticed perplexing issue with oil pressure a while back where oil pressure would drop from 55 to 40 psi on hard acceleration and then pop back up when I let off the throttle. I tried draining ~ 3/4 qt and the problem went away. I have a Moroso 7 qt pan with a WIX 1 qt filter so volume isn't an issue. I have also since switched from 5W-40 synthetic to AmsOil Race Dominator 15w-50 and now have about 5-7 more PSI across the board. Pressure holds steady at 58 -60 psi down the track. Cold idle is 63-68 psi and 35-40 psi hot @ 180-200 deg water temp.

Question: what sort of performance gain could I expect by switching from the current Edelbrock performer intake to the RPM Air Gap or better yet the Victor?

I also think that my Holley HP 950 might be a little small. Would I benefit from going to a 950 or 1050 QF?

The engine seems to be running well and strong, I am happy so far.

Cheers,

Last edited by scootergeo; August 25th, 2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old August 26th, 2014, 09:15 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Who is your builder up there? Only slightly up from me, that is why I am asking. Nice numbers and build, there are some seriously fast Olds powered Oldsmobiles in this province.
Old August 26th, 2014, 10:11 AM

I had it built by K & S Machine in Kelowna (Keith Korchinski). Check out his 6's ProMod video. It was a PITA shipping the motor back and forth but he is a good builder with 30+ years experience, reasonably priced and also a very nice gentleman to talk/deal with. He just does what ever it needs and "makes it right". FYI: he scratch build the heads on his 2400 HP ProMod.

I bought all my performance parts from Ray at Hardcore Performance Specialties here in Saskatoon. Give him a call if you need anything.

What are you running and what is your HP?

I could probably eek a bit more out of it with proper carb tuning and a real intake like a victor. The car is a full street car.

You will have to get your car up to SIR.

Cheers,

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
Who is your builder up there? Only slightly up from me, that is why I am asking. Nice numbers and build, there are some seriously fast Olds powered Oldsmobiles in this province.
Old August 26th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I would love to get up there, maybe next year. Pretty sad any decent shops around here have huge wait times. There is another good shop in Alberta, OldsmobileDave deals with, has built 800+ hp Olds V8's. I may try a local to machine my 425, 403 based SBO stroker. My car is slow but adding a set of nicely ported and milled #6 heads on my 350 this week. Going to Yorkton on September 6 to run the 1/8 mile, hoping for high 8's.

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; August 26th, 2014 at 02:53 PM.