Rocker Arms

Search this Thread

Old July 20th, 2022, 10:26 AM
Gary

Rocker Arms

I am getting ready to buy rocker arms for my 455 build. The engine is a 70 455 with c heads with big valves. The cam in the engine is https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-cl42-229-4. Any recommendations on which rockers to purchase. I have been reading thru some of the threads here about the comp 1441 kit but I read a couple of post about the push rod length i some cases maybe a problem. The engine is pretty much stock and no milling on the heads. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Gary
Old July 20th, 2022, 10:46 AM

Harland Sharp roller rockers. 1.6 should work.

Last edited by wr1970; July 20th, 2022 at 11:30 AM.
Old July 20th, 2022, 10:53 AM
Duh

Once you get away from stock pushrods should always be checked. With that said new stock style will work with the correct pushrod.
Old July 20th, 2022, 10:55 AM
Stuck in the 80's

Originally Posted by Gary's 2 442-S
I am getting ready to buy rocker arms for my 455 build. The engine is a 70 455 with c heads with big valves. The cam in the engine is https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-cl42-229-4. Any recommendations on which rockers to purchase. I have been reading thru some of the threads here about the comp 1441 kit but I read a couple of post about the push rod length i some cases maybe a problem. The engine is pretty much stock and no milling on the heads. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Gary
I ran this kit when they first came out with a Lunati solid lifter camshaft around .550 lift and I did not have issues. That block was also stock deck height with C heads. In fact, I saved them for a future mild build if I need. At that time it was the most affordable way I could get adjustment on a budget. I have moved up to Harland Sharp on my recent build as I have a better budget now.

If you do end up rocker arms only and need pushrods, I can recommend Smith Bros. Pushrods in Redmond Oregon. My last two sets have been 24 hour turnaround and they are good folks, They will be happy to talk and answer questions. You can option tube thickness and oil restriction if you desire.
Cheers,
Old July 20th, 2022, 01:03 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by wr1970
Harland Sharp roller rockers. 1.6 should work.
Do you know if these rockers will clear the baffles in the stock valve covers. Also I called Summitt Racing today about a set of these rockers and they said they dont come in a kit especially the mounting studs do not come with it. Maybe I got the wrong sells rep on the line. They were trying to sell me the comp rollers which they said comes in a complete kit. They also want to sell me a push rod measuring tool which is a good idea in my opinion.

Last edited by Gary's 2 442-S; July 20th, 2022 at 01:54 PM.
Old July 20th, 2022, 01:09 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by SteveDB
I ran this kit when they first came out with a Lunati solid lifter camshaft around .550 lift and I did not have issues. That block was also stock deck height with C heads. In fact, I saved them for a future mild build if I need. At that time it was the most affordable way I could get adjustment on a budget. I have moved up to Harland Sharp on my recent build as I have a better budget now.

If you do end up rocker arms only and need pushrods, I can recommend Smith Bros. Pushrods in Redmond Oregon. My last two sets have been 24 hour turnaround and they are good folks, They will be happy to talk and answer questions. You can option tube thickness and oil restriction if you desire.
Cheers,
I will give them a call.
thanks
Old July 20th, 2022, 01:36 PM

stock rockers would also work for that camshaft.
Old July 20th, 2022, 01:55 PM
Stuck in the 80's

I should clarify, I bought my kit from Mondello around 87 or 88 I think, so it may have been a kit that Joe assembled in house. It came with reduced shank screw in studs, pushrod locators with plastic inserts, the rockers, nuts and oil restricted pushrods. The rockers were the comp cams roller tips, just like in the summit kit you referenced.
Old July 20th, 2022, 02:33 PM

Do you know if these rockers will clear the baffles in the stock valve covers. Also I called Summitt Racing today about a set of these rockers and they said they dont come in a kit especially the mounting studs do not come with it. Maybe I got the wrong sells rep on the line. They were trying to sell me the comp rollers which they said comes in a complete kit. They also want to sell me a push rod measuring tool which is a good idea in my opinion.
You get what you pay for. No the are not good under stock rocker covers! They are not a kit item. But they are quality parts. I used taller rocker covers. But you can use holly and M/T aluminum covers.

These are low style with no baffles.

Last edited by wr1970; July 20th, 2022 at 02:36 PM.
Old July 21st, 2022, 08:21 AM
Old(s)GuysRule

X2 what Joe said above; stock rockers will work fine with that camshaft. If you use Harland Sharp rockers, you will have to install 7/16" studs and guide plates (machine work required) for the pushrods of choice unless you use their pedestal style rockers. Most replacement rockers will clear the baffles inside stock valve covers but some poly locks will not clear; short ones are available but I don't have the info on those. If it were me, I would just use the stock rocker assembly; why throw money at something that's not needed!
Old July 25th, 2022, 11:15 AM

Gary
the 1442 kit is the correct one for the big block. The 1441 is for the small block and has shorter P rods

it’s a big improvement over the stock set up as its fully adjustable and can take up to 350lbs over the nose.

Last edited by CANADIANOLDS; July 25th, 2022 at 11:20 AM.
Old July 26th, 2022, 06:49 AM

How much do you want to spend?

The Comp roller tip rockers are perfectly fine and very cheap. The rockers are good, and they come with studs and guide plates. The pushrods are noodles (and probably not quite the right length) and the pinch nuts are a real PITA. So buy the kit, buy short 1" poly locks, do a test assembly to figure out your actual required pushrod length, and buy decent pushrods.

Full roller rockers are the next step up and they are very pretty. There's no real point to going that far for a street-ish build, but getting into high lift or aggressive ramps or really heavy springs will need better rockers than the comp roller tips. Harland Sharp has been a great supporter of the Olds customers for a long time, so it's nice to support them. They have a whole bunch of variants - you'd want to talk to HS directly to pick the right one for your setup. They are all extremely similar with very minor geometry changes for certain scenarios. But, when you buy them, you get a cardboard hanger with rockers and polylocks - that's it. So gotta source your own guideplates, studs and pushrods. They do fit under stock valve covers when using a 3/8" spacer that's available from folks like Rocket Racing and Ram Air Restorations. Silicone the spacer to the valve cover and poof! Now have a strong, flat valve cover surface. This setup fits under the stock A/C brackets just fine.
Old July 26th, 2022, 11:21 AM

The push rods in kit 1442 are perfectly fine and are way better than the factory ones …they are hardened for use with guide plates.

Old July 26th, 2022, 07:34 PM

Ford Motorsport pedestal mount (not the Crane ones) fit Oldsmobile engines and fit under factory valve covers. Quality stuff. Any brand of Ford small block windsor pedestal mount may be a little less expensive but has the same dimensions we need. Running the A351 part number Motorsport on a 307 and I think I have a Scorpions on my 403 but they have a Ford PN.
Old July 27th, 2022, 03:27 AM

A stock rocker arm and stock length replacement pushrods should work fine. The compcam kit is a good kit and fits under the stock valve cover. This kit will give you the adjustability needed for poor valve jobs where the valves are no longer the correct height. FYI roller rockers and the compcam kit makes a sewing machine noise.
Old July 27th, 2022, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by CANADIANOLDS
The push rods in kit 1442 are perfectly fine and are way better than the factory ones …they are hardened for use with guide plates.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In a mild 350 I pulled out .. I think it was 6 that got completely bowed.
Granted, the machine shop left the guides tight on those heads, but that was pretty crazy.