Wild Rides rear cross member

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2022, 04:05 PM

Wild Rides rear cross member

I bought this cross member a few months ago and am now getting it in the car. It's a fine piece and comes with chromoly upper bars. Everything went straight forward until the initial fit up, the frame rails are one inch wider than the cross member and I know my frame is in spec. No problem, I made a set of templates to box endplates on each side of the cross member. Time to get things cut and fit.

Old July 24th, 2022, 04:15 PM

Installing with the body on, too. Ballsy. I like it!
Old July 24th, 2022, 04:26 PM
Duh

Wild Rides make really nice stuff. My roll bar from them fit like a glove. If you have issues reach out to them, excellent customer service
Old July 24th, 2022, 09:49 PM

Nice.
That will stiffen up the back of the car nicely as well as give you infinite adjustment very cool piece.
Old July 25th, 2022, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by fleming442
Installing with the body on, too. Ballsy. I like it!
Lol, why make it easy, some of these welds will be interesting...I'll probably invent a few new cus words in the process.
Old July 25th, 2022, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Duh
Wild Rides make really nice stuff. My roll bar from them fit like a glove. If you have issues reach out to them, excellent customer service
No doubt about that, Gene has been great to work with in the past, I have the lower a box mounts already installed and their ARB as well. I am going to give him a call today to let him know what I have found on the fitment.
Old July 25th, 2022, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Bernhard
Nice.
That will stiffen up the back of the car nicely as well as give you infinite adjustment very cool piece.
For sure, between the adjustable lower and upper mounts, I shouldn't have much issue with putting IC where I need it.
Old August 7th, 2022, 04:19 PM

Just a small update on this.... I contacted Wild Rides about the frame width discrepancy and their solution was the same as what I came up with. They also said there have been a few people call in about this issue. At this time I have all the bits cut, fit and tacked. I also have the chassis centerline plotted and a couple square lines to make sure the new crossmember goes in square. Time to get her glued in.

Old August 9th, 2022, 09:15 AM

That's some serious work - love it!! Looks like some nice parts.
Old August 28th, 2022, 04:59 PM

I should put a period on this thread. The crossmember is fully welded in(welds look like ***, uphill with limited visibility has not been my strong point).

Here's my thoughts on this piece..
I don't think they make a good enough attempt to control distortion when they weld in the control arm brackets, mine was warped +/- 0.250". If I had welded it in using their instructions my pickup points would have been off from square about a 1/4". I squared the crossmember using the pickup points and was able to get them all within a 1/16". I have been in contact with wild rides and they are documenting end user experiences to better the product. All in all, I think it's a great product for the stock suspension guys, just pay attention when installing.