Wise Performance

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2013, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
Remember, 2 of the last three EMC Street winners were EFI'd and controlled by an Accel DFI. Let me know if I can help!
the last three?

there was no street division in 2010

in 2011 it wasnt an accel that won, it was a holley throttle body and controller...there were no entries in either division this year that used an accel system.

in 2012 an accel entry did win in street.
Old September 27th, 2013, 09:22 PM
car guy

Love the placement of the Z casting on the heads
Old September 28th, 2013, 07:21 AM

Accel won twice in three contests. I know you were there for a few dale but check it out.
Bischkoff won with a 417 mopar hemi that made 700hp peak Hp, plus he got best overall Hp/tq. Then 2 contests later they won again, under a different name. Both winners were managed by a Gen 7.
Old September 28th, 2013, 08:44 AM

ya, it wasnt street. thats all im saying. the rules in some of those years heavily favored efi and it still wasnt a runaway for efi. the carb entries were required to run a dual plane for what reason? that same team came in second with a carb entry on a dual plane...very close in points.

the facts are that the carbed dual plane had problems during the final competition and was down 50 points from where it placed to qualify.

you would think a third gen efi'd hemi with a 1 foot tall single plane would smoke an antique small block chev with a dual plane&carb...it didnt happen. BES returned to a carb the following two years in extreme street...why?

mark mckeown has been very successful in the EMC competition and he tested extensively with both carb and efi on a single plane manifold...this engine was designed from the factory for efi..he found absolutely no difference in average power numbers, and ran a carb that year.
Old September 28th, 2013, 12:23 PM

Mark, tell me why efi hasnt just come in to the EMC, since they were allowed too, and obliterated the carbs off the face of the earth?

even if the cost of a complete ready to bolt on efi system was the same cost as a basic $400 or $500 carb, i dont see the gains??

i wouldnt mind a simple efi set up for my dyno so i can just bolt the engine on and let the efi do its things...is there something that can self set up/correct from 300 to 1000+ hp that i dont need to be an IT expert to figure out?
Old September 28th, 2013, 06:10 PM

Dale you're right, EFI will typically make less peak power. However the trip up to that point will normally have a fatter curve.

I'm not sure why more guys don't do it. All I can say is I run into a lot of "tuners" that don't have a clue. They are one dimensional, only tuning a simple fuel curve and don't play with injector and ignition timing throughout. Injector placement is just as critical as well.

About 6-8 months ago RET did an excellent article on EFI in Nascar. Nascar wasn't too keen on the idea in the first place. But they document the power gains achieved after testing. They started with a 4 hole throttle body with approx. 1 9/16 bores. They're now below 1 7/16 and making more power on less fuel than ever before. Check it out, great read.

There are a few systems that will fit your needs. Accel, AEM, Motec, and a few others. FAST is junk when it comes to injector variations and transient fueling. But they have all the bells and whistles and a great advertising budget.

Thanks.
Old April 17th, 2015, 11:46 AM
Registered car nut

Old thread but curious what's the latest on these heads?
(not looking for any drama-truly curious!)