Site Help Ask your questions here about how to use the site.

search

Search this Thread

Old February 18th, 2024, 08:58 PM

search

What is the best way to search this site? I'm sure most questions have been asked and resolved. I still have a hard time locating the info I'm looking for. I've noticed a lot of the post are old, is there an easier way to get updated info?

Thanks Chasmo
Old February 18th, 2024, 09:29 PM

To the left of the Search Box is a drop down menu that defaults to "Threads". If you select Advanced, you can select which subforums, thread parts, date ranges, etc to search through. That avoids bringing up For Sale or Wanted posts when looking for information on a console, for example.

Selecting the best key words to search for is your challenge and can often help narrowing down the search. Beyond that it becomes a matter of looking through the resulting list and hope that when you find one asking your question that the resolution is also contained therein.
Old February 19th, 2024, 05:10 AM
Running On Empty

The best method to conduct a search (on this site or any internet site e.g. Google) is to conduct a search w/ Boolean (query/search) logic. This assists to narrow down search results. I'll provide one example. You can research additional Boolean internet searches on your own to learn more. It's quite simple if you understand three basic terms (OPERATORS): AND, OR and NOT. For this search, I'll show you a very basic search to gain specific results (using the operator AND, by default).

All data is contained in a DB (database). You want to search/query the data base for one select parameter/object (word) or two select parameters/objects (words). If I put two or more parameters/objects together, I form a STRING.

You search any database by selecting an object or objects e.g. motor, or engine, or mount, or wire, or color, etc. Each is an object. Performing a search for one object will most often yield an enormous number of results (depending on how unique the object).
Instead, what you're looking for is a 'motor mount' (without apostrophes). If you enter the term 'motor' (without apostrophes) and you enter the term 'mount' (without apostrophes) as the search criteria, the results will display all threads/posts which contain either the term 'motor' OR the term 'mount'. You've increased the search results; but, instead you want to narrow the search results to only 'motor mount' (without apostrophes).

By default, if you enclose the two terms/objects 'motor' (without apostrophes) AND 'mount' (without apostrophes) (example "motor mount") with quotes ("motor mount"), the search results yield only results with the OBJECT STRING motor mount. You have created a search (by default) using the OPERATOR, 'AND' (without apostrophes) - stating, show me results with the terms motor AND mount connected together e.g. motor mount as a STRING.

Old February 19th, 2024, 06:13 AM
Past Administrator

ah boolean algebra, haven't thought of that term in...40 years. Something you just use all the time withouth thinking about it.
Old February 19th, 2024, 07:52 AM

I find that if use google and type the search words and also classicoldsmobile.com (which refines the search results to this site) I get better results
Old February 19th, 2024, 02:46 PM

One thing some people may not know is that the dash sign (-) used in a search negates the word(s) after it

https://www.digitalthirdcoast.com/bl...ls-google-work

Search Character Function
* = Wild Card
– = Ignore Pages
filetype: = Search Specific File Types
~ = Similar Results
“” = Exact Match .. Range of Numbers
(cache = Last Cached Version of a Webpage
define: = Definitions
Old February 19th, 2024, 03:46 PM

You can also search using the site software and narrow it by user. I often use my own user name (Olds64) to find an old thread I remember posting. I also search for replies by other website regulars (jaunty75, Fun71, oldcutlass, joe_padavano...)

Hope this helps you find the info you need. 👍
Old February 19th, 2024, 08:45 PM

Very helpful. I appreciate everyone of you.

Chasmo

Old February 20th, 2024, 05:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

One of the things I've found over the years is that you'll often get better results by using Google to search this site. Start with "classicoldsmobile.com" (including the quotes) in the Google search box, followed by the search terms you are looking for.
Old February 20th, 2024, 05:34 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
One of the things I've found over the years is that you'll often get better results by using Google to search this site. Start with "classicoldsmobile.com" (including the quotes) in the Google search box, followed by the search terms you are looking for.
And, one of the primary reasons (if not the primary reason) is because Google is the only web crawler/bot (Web Spider) allowed to crawl this website. Employing (specifically) Google's key-word ranking index places www.classicoldmobile.com at the top of any other search engine on the planet. Google spider runs on CO every 5 minutes. Within seconds key-words located on CO are indexed in Google. This provides a superior benefit to both CO & Google. And, to be clear, the CO website administrators have blocked every web spider/bot from crawling the CO website except Google. Five minutes ago Google spider crawled this thread:

Old February 20th, 2024, 11:14 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

As mentioned try the "threads" search box first(red arrow). Only use a key word such as transmission or a persons avatar name such as chasmo.

Once that fails then go out to Google. Google search engine is 10X better then COs. 10 of 10 times it will bring you right back to the right spot in ClassicOldsmobile.

Old February 20th, 2024, 12:09 PM
Running On Empty

Look, let's face it. You have to use some ingenuity. The most meaningful result may be a search for tranny, or a search for trans, or a search for TH350, or a search for TH-350. If you're looking for a wiring diagram, a search for wiring will yield enormous numbers of results, as would a search for the term diagram. Instead, be as specific as you can and enclose the search STRING in quotation marks i.e. "wiring diagram". You want to narrow it down? Search for a "1969 wiring diagram" (in quotations), or a "1970 wiring diagram" (in quotations).