307/350 swap, vacuum nightmare!! (77' rocket)

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2009, 04:18 PM
ROCKETeer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rRCwCkR9gw
Old April 21st, 2009, 08:34 PM
ROCKETeer

does any one here own an olds 350 motor and have a serpentine belt system? i snapped my power steering belt today, which as we all know powers not only the power steering, but the alternator and the water pump, my p/s pump is really retarded and i cant figure out how to fix it being off line... i was thinking of just getting a serpentine system... any advice?
Old April 22nd, 2009, 07:26 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by HARDLUCK88
does any one here own an olds 350 motor and have a serpentine belt system? i snapped my power steering belt today, which as we all know powers not only the power steering, but the alternator and the water pump, my p/s pump is really retarded and i cant figure out how to fix it being off line... i was thinking of just getting a serpentine system... any advice?
The only true serpentine systems for an Olds V8 are the ones sold for the GMC motorhomes. These use the reverse rotation water pump from the V6 diesel and custom brackets. The brackets are designed to mount the accessories low and wide. The system costs several thousand dollars.

March sells a "serpentine" system that uses a bazillion idler pulleys and the normal rotation water pump. Not an improvement in my opinion. Oh, it also costs a couple of grand.

Why don't you just fix the pump alignment. I've got $10 that says you've left off at least one of the two spacers between the PS pump bracket and the block, most likely the one that goes on the side of the block behind the pump. The other one goes over the stud on the bottom of the front cover. Keep in mind that the pulleys aligned before and the 307 and 350 are externally identical, so unless you severely bent the bracket, you've forgotten the spacer.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 08:38 AM
Banned

im planning the same thing for 85 delta 88.

i dont think im going to have the same problems,because they dont test for emissions here,and i dont plan on sticking a shifter in the floor.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 10:39 PM
ROCKETeer

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The only true serpentine systems for an Olds V8 are the ones sold for the GMC motorhomes. These use the reverse rotation water pump from the V6 diesel and custom brackets. The brackets are designed to mount the accessories low and wide. The system costs several thousand dollars.

March sells a "serpentine" system that uses a bazillion idler pulleys and the normal rotation water pump. Not an improvement in my opinion. Oh, it also costs a couple of grand.

Why don't you just fix the pump alignment. I've got $10 that says you've left off at least one of the two spacers between the PS pump bracket and the block, most likely the one that goes on the side of the block behind the pump. The other one goes over the stud on the bottom of the front cover. Keep in mind that the pulleys aligned before and the 307 and 350 are externally identical, so unless you severely bent the bracket, you've forgotten the spacer.

wow. its a shame they dont have more of a demand for that sort of thing, i am going to have a look see about all of this tomorrow before i have to go to school. at least everything is easily accessible