70 olds 350 burning oil

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2008, 06:33 PM

70 olds 350 burning oil

The other day I noticed the oil pressure in my 70 olds cutlass was lower than normal. I checked the oil level and it was a whole two quarts low, which was quite surprising. I added oil and the oil pressure ran in the normal range once again. Coming home on the highway today I happened to look back to see plumes of blue smoke coming from my driver's side exhaust pipe. Since adding the oil I had driven 100 miles on the highway in 25 mile intervals. When I got home I checked the oil level and once again the oil was two quarts low. I haven't had a problem losing oil in the past. I have also noticed the car is running around 20 degrees hotter than normal. I checked my coolant and changed the old radiator cap but the engine is still running 20 degrees hot. I only see the plumes of blue smoke on the highway when I release the gas completely, it is not a constant cloud. I checked all the spark plugs and the tips look normal. I am sure the car was running perfectly a week ago with no burning oil and no oil loss. I have no idea what happened between then and now. Any ideas? What should I do about this problem? Thanks
Old July 15th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Senior Moment Member

Did you check for leaks? If the motor has a lot of mileage on it it could be the rings and perhaps bearings.$$ Good Luck!
Old July 15th, 2008, 07:18 PM

It leaks but only a little. Theres no way it leaked 2 quarts on the ground in three days..... Anyone know, if it puffs smog only when I am not touching the gas while I am on the highway, does that mean a valve is leaking? The motor has 120k miles. Thanks I appreciate it
Old July 15th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Oldsdruid

Valve seals or guides come to mind, but before you tear into those, pull the valve covers and rod out the drainback holes. If oil can't drain back to the pan and is getting trapped at top of the engine, if seals/guides are marginal the high vacuum under deceleration will suck it into the chamber thru them, and burn off out the tailpipes. Oil consumption will increase.

High running temp will thin out oil and also increase consumption. You might want to check thermostat and cooling system including the fan clutch if car has it.

Then pull the plugs on that cylinder bank to see which one is oil fouled. That will be your problem cylinder.
Old July 15th, 2008, 08:30 PM

thanks! I'll get a new thermostat and check out the water pump, also I'll check out those drainback holes...one on each end of the head right? The fan is a flex fan...anything ever go wrong with those? I have a four core radiator in the car but ill check it for leaks...I'll also do a compression test... I checked the plugs and they all look good but I'm bet they won't look good for long judging from the amount of oil loss...thanks for the help!
Old July 16th, 2008, 05:01 AM
Past Administrator

Don't care for the flex type fans. You could search that subject as there are quite a few posts and opinions concerning it. Some agree with me, others may not. I prefer the clutch type fan with a good shroud.
Old July 16th, 2008, 06:06 AM

Two quarts in 100 miles? Did I read that right?
That is way excessive, even if the engine is just running 20* hot.
I am guessing this has just started? Scary... How many miles?

My '72's 350 was running hot (225* or more) on my trip from Georgia to Texas (1700 miles) and she burned 2 quarts on that trip. I did not even know about her running hot until I installed my Rally Pac and confirmed it with an IR thermometer. (She had a 2 core radiator and a bad fan clutch...)

Does the 70 have a PCV system? Even if so and it was clogged, that would not explain smoke blowing out just one tailpipe though...

Anyway, I might guess the rubber valve guide seals have hardened and fallen apart on that side from years of oil and heat. This is not as costly unless the guides are worn, too.

Stuck piston rings and clogged returns (as mentioned) are possibilities also, hopefully the latter as it is the easiest to fix!

Long ago I have heard that an engine burning oil would run hotter due to lower octain of the oil... Any truth to this? I thought this was one of the reasons for not using too much oil in 2-stroke motors (aside from obvious smoking and plug fouling) and the need for high octain gas.

Would a blown head gasket do this? I cannot recall where the oil passages are... (Never even saw an Olds head gasket yet!) (I do not want to see MINE either...)

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; July 16th, 2008 at 06:13 AM.
Old July 16th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Old(s) Fart

I've had problems with blocked drainback holes causing oil consumption also, but given how quickly this has happened, I'd perform a leakdown test to see if there's a more serious problem.
Old July 17th, 2008, 06:43 PM

compression test revealed 225psi on 7 cylinders, 25 psi on back driver side cylinder........ I squirted oil in the 25 psi cylinder and it didnt up the compression at all so i assume the valve is all messed up.....guess I'm getting my heads rebuilt.................. Thanks for all the help though
Old July 18th, 2008, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by smcurro
compression test revealed 225psi on 7 cylinders ........
Typo?

If not, you have another problem.

Norm
Old July 18th, 2008, 06:58 AM

smcurro,

Please let us know what you find out about that one cylinder - I actually lost some sleep thinking about what could have caused that...

I have plans for taking long trips in my 72 and that would be the (almost) worst that could happen. A starter or alternator or fuel pump I can understand and replace out of prevention (or replace myself on the road if needed). But internal engine mechanicals??
I guess that could happen on any car I suppose...

This is the first time I heard of such a sudden major failure on an Olds engine unrelated to poor maintanence, incorrect buildups, wrongdoings by mechanics, or driving them too hard.
I heard many people (including those in the Cadillac forums) saying the stock Olds engines were built like brick outhouses and would last hundreds of thousands of miles before major mechanical work was needed.

I just hope this was a rare case...
Anyone else heard of sudden major Olds engine failures in proper stock setups when driven 'normally'?
Old July 18th, 2008, 08:46 PM

Last edited by smcurro; November 29th, 2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old July 19th, 2008, 06:19 AM

Did your mechanic give a cause of the burnt exhaust valves? Lack of lubrication? Same valve each time?
I am questioning if this is something preventive measures could prevent...

Since you are pulling the motor, lots of "might as wells" will come up!
Resealing, painting, lots of internal parts, etc......... Lots of $$ for sure.
The previous owner of my 72 had the same thing done, but he did not have it painted. Now I get to try it with paintbrushes next year...

This would be a good time to replace the tranny front seal, too if needed.
When mine was all reassembled, the shop doing it messed up my front seal so she has a small drip now. Oh well; a drip pan works fine for now.

Keep us posted!
Old July 19th, 2008, 07:27 AM

yes...215-225 psi in 7 of the cylinders..and something more like 40 psi in the messed up cylinder ........
That is the kind of compression that breaks pistons, rings, heads, and ....

........ he told me he had changed the head gaskets...don't know why ........
.... head gaskets.

........ he's changed a few burnt Oldsmobile exhaust valves that have caused the same problem ........
That a faulty valve would cause low compression in any Olds (or any brand X) engine, is a no brainer. Ask him, how a "burnt" exhaust valve could cause your "overnight" increase in oil consumption.

........ to the shop to have the heads removed rebuilt and reinstalled ........
Have them CC the heads and work out the compression ratio as soon as the heads are off.

And plan on replacing your #2 piston and rings, if not the whole set.

Norm
Old July 19th, 2008, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
........ I am questioning if this is something preventive measures could prevent ........
There is nothing he could have done, it happened before he got the car.

Norm
Old July 20th, 2008, 07:32 PM

what would ever cause it to have too much compression?? I know the previous owner put in some sort of big cam...could that be it? I don't know what kind of cam it is, he said he didn't even remember. Extra thin head gaskets? or could the heads been shaved an extreme amount? The car ran fine for the last three years with no internal problems until now. What are the compression numbers supposed to be around, Norm? The previous owner said he changed the head gaskets because the engine was overheating but it didn't help his overheating problem...which makes no sense...but he said he wasn't having any other problems with the head gaskets. He put a four core radiator in the car and apparently that fixed his problem because it has never overheated for me until now, even on the hottest days. The guy doesn't seem to know much about cars...only enough to be dangerous. I'm surprised he didn't mess anything else up...
Old July 20th, 2008, 07:48 PM

Last edited by smcurro; November 29th, 2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old July 21st, 2008, 03:43 AM

what would ever cause it to have too much compression? ........
No way to know until a competent machinist checks it out.

........ I know the previous owner put in some sort of big cam...could that be it? ........
Anything I could say would be pure speculation. I prefer to deal in facts.

........ he said he didn't even remember ........
Another way of saying, he has not a clue? Either way, it does not change the fact that the engine is broken.

The car ran fine for the last three years with no internal problems until now ........
Did you expect it to run forever?

........ What are the compression numbers supposed to be around ........
I would expect a high compression 350 to have been 180# (or so) when the car was new, and gas was 102+ octane. With todays fuel, 150# (or so) with a fresh rebuild.

........ previous owner said he changed the head gaskets because the engine was overheating but it didn't help his overheating problem ........
More evidence showing he has not a clue?

........ He put a four core radiator in the car and apparently that fixed his problem ........
How many miles between his "band aid" and your purchase?

What differences are/were there between the PO and your "driving habits?

........ because it has never overheated for me until now ........
It never overheated until it overheated, it never used oil until it used oil, and it never lost compression, in the #2 cylinder, until it lost pressure in the #2 cylinder.

You want answers? Make sure a competent machinist does the teardown.

Norm
Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:29 PM

Last edited by smcurro; November 29th, 2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old July 26th, 2008, 05:51 PM

........ back driver's side cylinder is #7, not #2 ........
No doubt.

If I changed it to read #12, would would it make any difference?

........ If you prefer to deal in facts, please do so.
Here it is, again. This time, in its original context:

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
what would ever cause it to have too much compression?? I know the previous owner put in some sort of big cam...could that be it? ........
Anything I could say would be pure speculation. I prefer to deal in facts ........
What is your point?

Norm
Old July 26th, 2008, 07:26 PM

Last edited by smcurro; November 29th, 2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old February 1st, 2009, 09:34 PM

Last edited by smcurro; November 29th, 2013 at 06:49 AM.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 07:52 AM

Happy everything worked out for you. good luck on the 350 build
Old February 2nd, 2009, 11:27 AM
Past Administrator

good news on the update and having an extra engine around is always good.