87 307 woes

Search this Thread

Old December 10th, 2006, 04:44 PM

87 307 woes

My latest purchase, 87 Cutlass, 307. Hot battery, tries to fire. Drained out as much of the old gas as I could and put in some high octane from the dirt car, with a tad of Lucas upper cylinder lubricant. Replaced all internals of dist from another running 307, no change. Pulled carb, checked for pump squirt and car started and ran for at least a second, first time it did that, and it did'nt even have a carb on it. Swapped carbs and car attempts to start if I hold the primary-choke open. Also moved the dist slightly, with no luck. Yet to replace plugs and wires, and trying to excaust all avenues before I perform an all out engine and tranny swap from the donar 87. My timing light ate it a while back. Also noticed during the carb swap the choke tube came loose and stuck with the old carb, would this keep it from starting. so?? Any help would be appreciated. Does this model have a computer? What and where fuses do I check? I want to keep the 307 stock, from my limited research this is the bomb for Gas Mileage and a V8 with a carb. 25 mpg in the Cruiser, should do that and more in the Cutlass.
Old December 11th, 2006, 05:54 AM
Past Administrator

Can't address all your questions but the choke tube goes to a hole in the manifold which goes to a plenum under the carb which is open to exhaust ports in the middle cylinders. If you have a different carb on there w/o choke tube I don't think it would make that much of an adverse effect as long as all the manifold vaccum openings are being used or else plugge up (and the choke is working some way or other ie, electric). I think you were asking if the opening for the choke tube goes to manifold vaccum, no it doesn't.
Old December 11th, 2006, 06:18 PM

Question CopperHead

Tried crossing terminals a and B, still no start. Vehicle is starting to seem like it's jump time to me. Do these motors have that awful plastic coated timing gears? I was hoping a 307 guru would have the answers. Looks like the engine swap is on the books, - backburner.