Bogs Out

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2006, 02:48 PM
2Blue 55

Thumbs down Bogs Out

Hello, i have a 1955 oldsmobile, it starts great, but has to warm up for a good hour, and even then you have to be super careful not to accelorate too fast or the engine bogs to a stop, i have tried adjusting the carb, but i am newaround this stuff, can anyone point me in the right direction??

Thanks, Rob
Old December 16th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Timing? Vacuum advance can good? Was the car sitting a long time? Your carb may need a good rebuild.

The first car I can remember my family owning was a 55 Holiday 88 4dr.

C.J.
Old December 16th, 2006, 03:36 PM
2Blue 55

Thanks for your reply, yes my car was sitting for about a year in a field, where the person i bought it from got it, i thought it maybe the carb, but i am going to check out the vac advance, thanks for your input,

rob
Old December 26th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

One of the things I would look at is the fuel tank and the fuel line from the tank all the way to the carb. My friend has a 54 that I am the caretaker of. It has never sat in a field. We had the top half of the engine rebuilt including the carb. It sat in the paint and body shop for about a year and a half. The tank had been flushed and sealed. It finally got to the point it would not even start. It turned out to be the fuel line was rusted on the inside. Replaced the fuel line all the way from tank to carb and it cranks right up.

Good Luck
Old December 27th, 2006, 09:50 AM
2Blue 55

Hi,
thanks for the input, everything helps, there is lots of things for me to check on, I started a rebuild on my carb, the lines looked soso, and i now think i should at least clean my gas tank, thanks again,
robert
Old December 27th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I would definitely do the tank. We did the tank on the 54 and added an electric fuel pump near the tank. It ran okay for a while and then quite running. That is when we replace the fuel line. Use an inline fuel filter. I used one of the cheap clear plastic ones and could actually see the crud from the fuel line accumulating in it. If you still have the old vacuum fuel pump, that could be the problem. It is old and could have a pin hole in it. If the carb has one of those filters behind the inlet, I would eliminate it.

These old cars are fun but can be frustrating at times. Good luck and let us know what works.
Old December 28th, 2006, 08:50 AM
2Blue 55

Hi,
thanks for the reply...your imput helps alot. i guess this will be my next big step. i am rebuilding my carb now, and i found that the float sank, so i bought a parts carb on ebay for 9.99 with the new float in it, i am going to buy some fuel line and replace that withen the next year bfore i put it on the road, thanks again,
robert howie