Gutting 307 emission control vacuum lines

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2019, 10:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Jason RR
Hi guys has any one attempted putting a EFI on and replaced the whole carburetor, I live in a small town where No One has knowledge of carburetors
Because EFI is SOOO much less complex than a carb...

The least expensive option is to actually read the Chassis Service Manual and learn about the carb.
Old December 22nd, 2019, 12:09 PM

Rochester q jet electric throttle running rich vac lines out of wack

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Because EFI is SOOO much less complex than a carb...

The least expensive option is to actually read the Chassis Service Manual and learn about the carb.
Old August 25th, 2020, 03:38 AM

Need help

Originally Posted by kuseetha
Finally got the nuts made to plug the air injection hose connections at the exhaust manifold. Couldn't wait to fix them so did in the night itself
What did you use to take that metal pipe setup from the exhaust manifold? Also where did you get the bolts to cap it off?
Old August 25th, 2020, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bo$$Man
What did you use to take that metal pipe setup from the exhaust manifold? Also where did you get the bolts to cap it off?
Bossman, if you're gutting the smog and emissions equipment on your CCC Oldsmobile I suggest you remove the EGR manifold/pipe and take it to the hardware store. You should be able to find brass plugs that will fit those threads. Of course, you MAW remove the heads and replace them with older non-smog heads while you're at it.
Old August 25th, 2020, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Bossman, if you're gutting the smog and emissions equipment on your CCC Oldsmobile I suggest you remove the EGR manifold/pipe and take it to the hardware store. You should be able to find brass plugs that will fit those threads. Of course, you MAW remove the heads and replace them with older non-smog heads while you're at it.
This is mine. I don't want the current exhaust manifold lines to break off before I can completely take them off, what tool should I use

is it possible to get you my contact information so I can direct contact just trying to get a clearer vision of what I'm trying to do. This is what mines look like.
Old August 25th, 2020, 09:26 AM

Bossman, I fixed your triple post. You already installed an aftermarket carburetor, but did you replace the distributor in your Olds? You can remove the EGR valve and get a block off plate for it. Plus, you need to find out where those large vacuum lines go. If one is attached to the back of your intake manifold it should go to your brake vacuum booster. The other one probably goes to your smog pump.

You can send me a PM by left clicking on my username but any questions you have are probably best posted publicly in case I don't have the answer for you.

BTW, use a brake line wrench to remove the air injection lines from the heads. Spray the fittings with plenty of PB Blaster/WD 40 before attempting to remove them. They will be seized and rusty.
Old August 26th, 2020, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Bo$$Man
Took the air injection pipe to the lathe shop. He measured the thread and taper of the injection pipe fitting thread and made 8 nuts from metal.
Old August 26th, 2020, 05:16 AM

Took the air injection pipe to the lathe shop. He measured the thread and taper of the injection pipe fitting thread and made 8 nuts from metal.
Hmm. If you don't care how it looks, I think it would be cheapest to clip the tubes about an inch or so sticking up, pinch the ends closed with vise grips and roll the end over like a toothpaste tube. I personally think that looks like crap and can be a bit dangerous monkeying around the area to change plugs, etc. But it does work.

If you want it to look neater, and for some small money, you can clip one of the tube ends with the nut right off, then put the nut in a baggie, and take it with you to home depot or similar, pick through their brass pipe plug assortment until you find the exact size you need. Pennies on the dollar instead of having them being custom made. Unless you were getting them done for less than 15 bucks or so. I've also seen people who cut the tubes off flush with the nut then weld up the tube/nut to seal it off , then grind it flush and paint them the color of the engine. Lotta ways to skin this cat.
Old August 26th, 2020, 05:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

The A.I.R. fittings are inverted flare, just like brake lines. You can buy correct steel inverted flare plugs for about $2-$3 apiece.

Old September 3rd, 2020, 12:19 AM

Where?

Finally got the nuts made to plug the air injection hose connections at the exhaust manifold. Couldn't wait to fix them so did in the night itself
Where did you get the nuts from???
Old September 3rd, 2020, 04:10 AM

Bossman, here's the link that Joe provided above for those plugs:

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...s?fr=part-type
Old September 7th, 2020, 11:12 AM

Wow, This thread is a wealth of information about these heavily emissioned 307s.
The only thing I didn't see an answer for was what vaccum does the rear choke need to see to operate correctly? I'm assuming it's switched or to a temp sensor of some sort.
Sorry if the answer is obvious.
Old September 7th, 2020, 12:01 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The A.I.R. fittings are inverted flare, just like brake lines. You can buy correct steel inverted flare plugs for about $2-$3 apiece.

My 81 Canadian Delta 88 that was non CCC had similar plugs from the factory.
Old September 8th, 2020, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
Wow, This thread is a wealth of information about these heavily emissioned 307s.
The only thing I didn't see an answer for was what vaccum does the rear choke need to see to operate correctly? I'm assuming it's switched or to a temp sensor of some sort.
Sorry if the answer is obvious.
El Duderino!

Here's is a good article on choke operation:

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/art...oke-adjustment

If your choke uses vacuum then there is a choke pull-off or vacuum break. This dashpot should use manifold vacuum.
Old September 8th, 2020, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by 69HO43
Hmm. If you don't care how it looks, I think it would be cheapest to clip the tubes about an inch or so sticking up, pinch the ends closed with vise grips and roll the end over like a toothpaste tube. I personally think that looks like crap and can be a bit dangerous monkeying around the area to change plugs, etc. But it does work.

If you want it to look neater, and for some small money, you can clip one of the tube ends with the nut right off, then put the nut in a baggie, and take it with you to home depot or similar, pick through their brass pipe plug assortment until you find the exact size you need. Pennies on the dollar instead of having them being custom made. Unless you were getting them done for less than 15 bucks or so. I've also seen people who cut the tubes off flush with the nut then weld up the tube/nut to seal it off , then grind it flush and paint them the color of the engine. Lotta ways to skin this cat.
The last set of 5A heads I did, I just tapped the AIR ports with a 1/4" pipe tap and ran a steel pipe plug down them..
Old October 13th, 2020, 07:19 PM

Not to hijack the thread but found this to be the most relevant to my query when searching the forums.

I recently purchased a 87 custom cruiser with vin Y 307 V8. It will be exempt from any form of emissions testing and therefore I plan to remove the smog pump, the AIR tubes to exhaust manifold and the cat.

Main reason of the removal is to clear up the engine bay. Getting rid of the catalytic converter to eliminate restrictions on exhaust and also avoiding a meltdown when air pump is removed.

I also plan to use dual exhausts (mainly for aesthetic reasons) and to retain the CCC Qjet setup. I read that CCC needs EGR. I am not looking for big power. Just need the reliability and fuel economy.

Here the temperature never gets colder than 15 degrees Celsius and averages around 32 degrees so according to this, I can eliminate the heat riser valve and RVB also without a problem.

However, I think I'd retain the anti-dieseling solenoid.

Would eliminating the cat can introduce backfires?
I would also like to see an image of such a cleared 307 engine bay.

Thank you

Hi im new to this group, happy to be here. Here's the engine bay of my 88 custom Cruiser 307, absolutely no smog or Electronics except on the distributor and alternator. Runs great, not pretty but it will be.
Old May 31st, 2021, 12:29 PM

Hi Tinker93,

That looks pretty neat, please share a pic when you have cleaned it as well.

How did you manage lockup of torque converter and idle up when AC is turned on?

Cheers!

Last edited by kuseetha; May 31st, 2021 at 12:45 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2023, 10:49 PM

New thread with pictures on minimal emissions hoses on 307

Guys,

I am starting a completely new (noob friendly) thread with loads of pictures on gutting the emission control lines, modifications to do and keep the minimal ones which need to operate the CCC system, I will post the link below.
NOOB's GUIDE to minimum vacuum lines for CCC system

It would also (hopefully) have all the information necessary to setup the CCC system correctly..
All are welcome to chime in your comments and suggestions, thank you

Last edited by kuseetha; June 24th, 2023 at 12:21 AM.