Header bolts

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2008, 02:16 AM

Header bolts

Can anyone tell me how to remove 39 year old bolts? I have had new headers sitting in the box for over 5 months and my wife isn't going to let me order new parts until I put the headers on.
Old April 13th, 2008, 06:29 AM

You might try running the engine until hot then use a 6 point socket or wrench & just try to loosen them. I have also used MAPP gas much hotter than propane & cheap good luck ps you might want to locate a right angle drill just in case
Old April 13th, 2008, 07:19 AM

I suggest shooting PB Blaster on them abbout twice a day for a week. You might also want to hit the heads of the bolt with a hammer a couple of times before you shoot them with PB Blaster. Doing this through out a week should hopefully loosen the rust and grit enough that you can back them out with a 6 point socket. If you start to back them out and they don't break loose don't strong arm them to the point of breaking off the bolt. Use a torch and heat them up. You can also melt some candle wax on them when hot. It is supposed to run down the bolt and into the threads (don't know if this actually works). Good luck!
Old April 13th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

The wax trick is one of my trademarks lol. Everyone looks at me like an idiot, until the bolt starts moving.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...855&filter=wax
Old April 13th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Registered

Hide the headers, kill time looking at parts catalogs, tell your wife you put them on, order parts. If that suggestion doesn't fly the heat and PB blaster ideas sound good, the engine should be warm at the least. I have heard of the wax technique, have to try it sometime. I was taught that tightening a bolt or nut will sometimes help it break loose, and a big breaker bar.

Allan
Old April 14th, 2008, 05:38 AM

Thanks for all the good info. I’m going to try the wax while I hide the headers. When the car returns from the interior shop I will put the wax on the bolts and then post the out come.
Old April 24th, 2008, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
The wax trick is one of my trademarks lol. Everyone looks at me like an idiot, until the bolt starts moving.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...855&filter=wax
That stuff is expensive!! Is there a cheaper route that will do the same thing? Plus I might be tempted to eat it.
Old April 24th, 2008, 11:41 PM

I received it and I didn't think it was going to be as big as it was. It comes in a nice size brick. It might be a little cheaper for you if you are in the states.

<http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10855>
In Stock In Stock $20.99 $20.99

Merchandise Total: $20.99
Shipping and Handling: $8.25
Subtotal: $29.24
Sales Tax:
$0.00
Shipping Upgrade - USPS Priority Mail: $4.60
Total: $33.84
Old April 25th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Past Administrator

Why not go on over to the local hobby supply store, get cheap candle wax. Beeswax it more expensive.
Old April 25th, 2008, 05:04 AM

Can't you just use candle wax? I thought it was just bee's wax with fragrances in it. Who cares if you get perfume all over the headers and heads, you will have to clean in anyways...
Old April 25th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Well after all that, I hope it works for you. Get that bolt nice and hot, but doesn't have to be glowing like the sun. Oh and don't leave it in a tool box on the hood of your car outside. I almost had a box of wrenches glued together when I got back from lunch lol. Luckily it was still marshmallow consistency and I saved the day.