high volume oil pump

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2007, 01:33 PM

high volume oil pump

I can't seem to find a company that makes a high volume oil pump. all kind of chevy pumps, and there even cheap. like $50 for a good moroso pump. but it looks like no one makes one for the olds market. its a 350 rocket out of a 74 cutlass.
Old January 9th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

What are your plans for the car? Straight drag racing above 7000 rpm? Ch#vy needs high volume oil pumps for the same reason they need 4 bolt mains. They are...nope...not gonna go there. Let's just say that (IMHO) Olds are a much better engineered engine.

Honestly, I don't know of anybody that makes a high volume oil pump for an SBO, or why you would need one (which is probably why they don't make them).

JMHO.

C.J.
Old January 9th, 2007, 05:39 PM

Also, you need to be cautious with that. I know a guy who put one on his boat with a 455, it sucked the oil pan dry and he lost his crank. Even with restrictors and a huge 12 quart pan.
Old January 9th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Melling makes them and I have one that I am not going to use. The screen bolts on the pump which is different than a regular pump. I have rebuilt a good many SBC's in my life but never a small block Olds. I started doing research (got me to this website) about the Olds engine. One of the stories I got from somebody I trust is to not use the high volume pump in an Olds. It was the same story about sucking the pan dry. I have read that in one other place also. So now I have a new regular pump for my 350. I will have to get a Toronado pickup since I am going to use a Toronado oil pan. The small block Olds is different and one of the best things you can do is to listen to people that have built them. Of course you may get a few differing opinions.

My engine will be for street use only and it might have never mattered but I am glad I found it out.

Glenn Hargrove
aka redoldsman
Old January 12th, 2007, 02:53 PM

i was told that olds motors have low oil presure. that was the reason i wanted to get a high valume pump. But by the way you guys are talking it might not need one. When i drive the car i open it up, a lot. its my weekend toy. it looks like a delta but its got some real grunt for a 4000LD car. lol. anyway, i am putting in a new cam (big one), aluminum intake, and a new carb. and i wanted a little safty from the oil pump. just to keep me from killing the motor.
Old January 12th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

The biggest problem with Oldsmobile engines as far as oiling goes is delayed drainback. There is a mod that "real" Olds engine builders perform to open up the drainvbacks and allow it to get back down to the crank where it belongs.

The problem with Ch#vy and F*rd engine builders is they see the bearing clearances and "tighten them up" (BAD news!) and throw on a high volume oil pump which sends the oil topside at a greater rate but, without adequate drainback, actually causes the bearings to run dryer for lack of oil in the pan!

I don't know where you are at (Folks, PLEASE put your location in your profile...nobody is going to stalk you!) but I have a lot of connections and could perhaps put you in touch with someone in your area.

C.J.