Nascar 350 dx build 8,000+ rpm

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2021, 08:50 AM

Nascar 350 dx build 8,000+ rpm

Replacement for displacement? RPM? Well I have the nascar 350DX block that was sale here last week. And will be selling the Batten AL heads and intake to go along with it in the few days. Not a racer, This is not an all out build and will take 6 month to a year before its in my car. Block, main caps. Are headed out to a top Oldsmobile engine builder. He will be machining and install a lite yet strong rotating assembly, 4.150 piston, 3.850 stroke x 2.5 mains lightweight Bryant crankshaft with spacers. 417 cubes should get me over 600HP+ easy.

I will finish the engine, Port the new BBO heads from Edelbrock,.T&D shaft mount rocker, .941 BAM mech roller lifters, Manton pushrods, custom cam. It needs to fit under existing hood. No Victor or Battens. I will cut up the intake and weld back together, to get what I need.

This is my engine, I know mostly what I want. No chinese parts with as much USA parts as possible. Oll system will be "Out of the Box'' 8qt+ system of my own design. Want a high revving engine for fun with my Lighting Rods shifter.

Moving to Port Isabel, Texas. after the new year. With pull existing engine out, redo the wiring in the engine bay. Hide as much as possible in felders etc. For all my electric add ons. which are many! Work on existing rear end to live.

"Out of the Box'' frame stiffening of my own design, On top of what is already done. More venting for engine bay to get the heat out. On top of what is already done.

Have a set of beautiful custom gauges. Will be replacing the plastic wood trim with heavy Birdseye Maple wood and veneer. Fire extinguisher system.

All that and keep up with all the fire sprinkler design work coming my way. I got to pay for all this. Was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth.

I want to thank Rick! Who sold me this rare block. Great guy!!! Fun to talk to and very honest.

This picture alone sold me, on this block

Old December 1st, 2021, 08:56 AM

Sounds like a killer project! I can't wait to see the results.

Someday I want to build a street legal drag car with an engine like this, but possibly with a belt driven supercharger, multiport EFI with a blow-through throttle body. I just need to win the lottery first.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
Old December 1st, 2021, 09:09 AM

That sounds like fun, congrats!
Old December 1st, 2021, 09:32 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Sounds great, you should be able to beat the hell out of it.
Old December 1st, 2021, 09:35 AM
Banned

Sounds like a great build. Sad to see that all get broken up. That's history.
Old December 1st, 2021, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
That what the seller want to do. Heads are overkill for me. And I like my hood profile. Not looking to add a 4'' or 6'' cowl. Some racer will be very happily with them.
Old December 1st, 2021, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
Sounds great, you should be able to beat the hell out of it.
I think after 6500 rpm or so, it bye, bye
Old December 1st, 2021, 01:35 PM

What's the goal for the car? Chasing an ET? Or just a fun tire fryer?
-peter
Old December 1st, 2021, 02:10 PM

So many Mustangs, So little time! Joking. Owned new 84 Hurst/ Olds, Just love, last 34 years using Lighting Rods shifter. Love the rush! Wished I could go over the 6,000- 6500 rpm.

Thinking maybe going down the track. A few times. Have good reflexes and intuition.

Been in a few small rally
courses in car shows in south Texas. I like that better. My suspension is really hooked up. Huge brakes. 90 degree turn at 60 mph. Car stays flat .Came in third, hard too beat the little rice burners.
Old December 1st, 2021, 05:05 PM

I don’t like being the barer of bad news but without a Victor type intake, you won’t make 600+ and you won’t be spinning it to 8k.
Actually if you’re worried about hood clearance then you won’t be able to raise the port entry much if at all. If you can’t do that then the flow potential if the head will be limited, sorry.
I did a 434 SBO Stroker over the summer, Victor, 830 QF, decent Edelbrocks and a 240@.050 Hyd roller with .585 lift. It peaked at 5700, well below your desired goal of still making power at 8k.
The intake and head limitations will hold your rpm and hp ceiling down significantly. Just don’t want you to get too excited, then be disappointed. Again sorry.
Old December 1st, 2021, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
I don’t like being the barer of bad news but without a Victor type intake, you won’t make 600+ and you won’t be spinning it to 8k.
Actually if you’re worried about hood clearance then you won’t be able to raise the port entry much if at all. If you can’t do that then the flow potential if the head will be limited, sorry.
I did a 434 SBO Stroker over the summer, Victor, 830 QF, decent Edelbrocks and a 240@.050 Hyd roller with .585 lift. It peaked at 5700, well below your desired goal of still making power at 8k.
The intake and head limitations will hold your rpm and hp ceiling down significantly. Just don’t want you to get too excited, then be disappointed. Again sorry.
Not going to get into a pissing match. But there is more than one way to skin a cat!
Old December 1st, 2021, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by HighwayStar 442
Not going to get into a pissing match. But there is more than one way to skin a cat!
Then my guess would be a power adder of some sort. You didn't mention that.

Best of luck!!
Old December 1st, 2021, 07:52 PM

Your goals are realistic. at 1.44 hp per cube thats doable on pump gas and you wont have to turn it 8k to make that power.

what are you thinking about doing for an intake design?
Old December 1st, 2021, 09:21 PM

Not set in stone yet. Talking in a week or two with Wilson Manifold for something custom. To fit my existing hood to the max. See what they tell me.

They know better than me. That is months away. Who know what Mark R. or some other guy. May come out with something.

1000 cfm holley. 1.44 hp per, yes, hope it more.like 1.5+.. Peak power will be at a lower rpm. Going to 8,000. just keep pulling the car at that peak power. With the right custom cam. That the goal anyway.

1st gear. Gas petal the floor, never let up. Even at shifting. Up to whatever rpm she will go. Push the Lighting Rod an 1/2'' up. Transmission instantly shifts into 2nd. Better them I could do with an 4 speed with clutch.

Do the same for 3rd. What a rush!!!.

Last edited by HighwayStar 442; December 1st, 2021 at 09:26 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2021, 05:13 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

It will be really fun, that's what counts. Don't get stuck on numbers and I get what you mean by the rpm potential. I can probably spin my 358 to 7500 rpm but it will be done by 5500 rpm or probably sooner. Not that brave and won't have your 4 bolt bottom end. How much room do you have compared to the stock, flat G body hood? I don't miss dealing with that, very tight even with a RPM. My 70, I can run a RPM with stock air cleaner and probably a 1" spacer will fit under the S hood. Of course, I could remove the G body steel hood by myself. Two of us struggled with the big S hood, it weighs twice as much easily.

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; December 2nd, 2021 at 05:16 AM.
Old December 2nd, 2021, 09:06 AM

It will be really fun, that's what counts. Don't get stuck on numbers and I get what you mean by the rpm potential. I can probably spin my 358 to 7500 rpm but it will be done by 5500 rpm or probably sooner. Not that brave and won't have your 4 bolt bottom end. How much room do you have compared to the stock, flat G body hood? I don't miss dealing with that, very tight even with a RPM. My 70, I can run a RPM with stock air cleaner and probably a 1" spacer will fit under the S hood. Of course, I could remove the G body steel hood by myself. Two of us struggled with the big S hood, it weighs twice as much easily.
Its a little over 2'' cowl. I love the look! You are right, its all about what I like and want. I am no stranger to that! I do have DIY air induction setup and getting the Carb insulated from the heat of the engine and bay. Even the pan is insulated from the engine heat. And up to the cowl to bring in outside air only. So there is some room. Air filter bottom is at the top of the carb not recessed. You can just make out the air housing below the carb.

I just put the Batten heads for sale. If they don't sell. I will put them into my G body with an 6'' cowl. Would need to double check that fit.

Old December 2nd, 2021, 10:27 AM

So do you think you’re going to have hood clearance issues are you going to use a cowl of some sort?
Old December 2nd, 2021, 10:31 AM

This is a 2'' cowl. on now.

Old December 2nd, 2021, 10:59 AM

cutlassefi You know the carb heights difference between of performer 7111 and Victor?

There is 2+ inches. If I modify the pan on the carb. And the 4 gaskets and heat shield under the carb. But I think I need more room for victor.

Just looked at the Edelbrock 7111 center height is 5.3'' back is 5.8 front 4.8.... Victor 7.0 ''. back is 7.0 front 7.0

Maybe I can get to fit under existing hood. That would be better!

Last edited by HighwayStar 442; December 2nd, 2021 at 11:25 AM.
Old December 2nd, 2021, 11:44 AM

Ok. I thought I saw originally that you were going to have clearance issues. That’s why I said what I said initially.
Now that’s obviously changed. You should be able to get a Victor on there then. You’ll need that to make your desired number. Best of luck in your build.
Old December 2nd, 2021, 01:57 PM

Thanks Mark! It's going to be tight.
Old December 2nd, 2021, 02:35 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

It's a gorgeous car. What is your current motor at for power?
Old December 2nd, 2021, 03:43 PM

Thank you. Its a real head turner. no matter where I go. Sometime peoples heads turn so fast as I fly by. Surprised they do not get whiplash.

.In her now. 1972 SBO 40 over. N crank.. Pro Comp from Bernard Mondello 68 cc. Wanted 65cc. Did not want, at that time to do it.. Maybe 340 HP. Did not have time to work the heads. Machine shop in Charlotte, NC sucked. Had to disassemble check and fix what was wrong.

The one before 1970 60 over high compression. same N crank. 7a with BBO valves. Max ported head and intake by me. Wild cam. around 430hp Ran to 6,500 even to 6,800. Broke AlL roller rocker. I guess on the down stoke. valve hit the seat hard and crack the head. Water went into the hot cylinder and bow part of it out.
Old December 2nd, 2021, 06:36 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Nice, so a good gain. Hopefully machine shops down there aren't as backed up as they were a year ago. I waited 11 months for mine. Calling tomorrow to see if they honed the Molnar rods for the Mahle floating pins. Then just file fit rings, clean and assembly along with cam degreeing. If I went iron, I would be around the 340 hp range on my 358, screw it going with the small chamber Edelbrock heads, hopefully they are available before Summer. Cool if you can squeeze the Victor under that hood. Hopefully your trans and rear are up to the task.
Old December 2nd, 2021, 07:48 PM

Yea, the weakest link. Need to call Lonnie at Extreme Transmission. Besure it will hold together. Was for 700 HP, 200R4.

Owner before me rebuilt the GM 8.5 rear end back in 2004. Will need to change out the inturnals. heavy duty axles ,hi perf rated gear sets, forged steel pinion yokes. Fully weld the tube to the pumpkin.

Car came to me painted. Frame rails were never boxed. Collage static and strengths of material class. Good teacher. Was a very interesting and informative. Tension, compression, twist of steel. Lifetime of working in construction.

My 1984 Ford 350 dually from Canada. Ford built a very heavy duty frame for it. By adding steel to existing frame. Going in that direction with steel frame stiffeners.

New home moving to. Has an extra large space in the garage. Room for all my tools. Bench and engine stand.

Old December 2nd, 2021, 08:41 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Sounds like you are well set up for all that power. Just wait till you move all your tools in. You will say, where did all my space go?😉
Old December 2nd, 2021, 09:03 PM

Work in a an old small garage That I could not get the car into. New home space is wider.

Old December 3rd, 2021, 04:32 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I hear you my car just barely fits as well with all my crap in my 14x24 Garage. The best investment in a small garage is a quiet air compressor. My Hulk compressor puts out good numbers and is only 40 DB. Bernard told me the same thing about the Procomp heads, he would not mill them that far. I messaged Mark about the rest of my parts, I am getting springs and pushrods for the iron heads, just in case. He has been very tight lipped about the Edelbrock SBO heads, hopefully he ships my parts and makes a new thread about the new heads. He had multiple builds going last response I got from him, I know he is pretty busy. That is a nice looking motor by the way. I assume Benard did his basic work to the heads in the port opening, you may have more power than you think. What cam is in your current motor?
Old December 3rd, 2021, 12:50 PM

The camshaft below is an 'on the shelf' cam
Advertised intake duration: 284

· Advertised exhaust duration: 290

· .050 intake duration: 229

· .050 exhaust duration: 236

· intake lift: .520

· exhaust lift: .528

· lobe separation: 112
In existing engine, not impressed. Maybe because of compression and little porting.

Old engine I would need to find the card. Over 3,000 rpm or so. Car would jump up and tear ***. Lopy, rough idle. sounded like 4 Harley Davidson going down the road. It was fast.

Going to have BTR do the whole engine now. Four large jobs showed up in my Email today. And told a lot more work coming. Bill will charge me up the ***. But will get a great engine from him.

Wanted to say I did this and that on the engine. But I need to let it go.

Bill wanted to put the Batten heads on. But I am sure I would be leaving broken pieces of drive train on the road. Anything over 700 hp, can bite you in the ***.

Last edited by HighwayStar 442; December 3rd, 2021 at 04:12 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2021, 02:38 PM

Just curious, what’s your target date for completion?
Old December 3rd, 2021, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
Just curious, what’s your target date for completion?
Question for a question? When are the New BBO heads, and Victor JR. really be available? You can PM me also Mark. I have no problem with you. And have defended you here a few times.
Old December 3rd, 2021, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by HighwayStar 442
Question for a question? When are the New BBO heads, and Victor JR. really be available? You can PM me also Mark. I have no problem with you. And have defended you here a few times.
Oh I know, and I really appreciate that. Thank you very much.
Early next year for the heads. And I believe they’re shipping Victors now. I got one about 6 weeks ago.

Last edited by cutlassefi; December 4th, 2021 at 06:01 AM.
Old December 3rd, 2021, 07:30 PM

What do you mean by "out of the box" and "my design" when referring to your oil system and frame stiffening? Out of the box, as in store bought? Or thinking/design out of the box?
Old December 3rd, 2021, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Nick
What do you mean by "out of the box" and "my design" when referring to your oil system and frame stiffening? Out of the box, as in store bought? Or thinking/design out of the box?
Unconventionally (that me!). Outside of the box would be a better way of saying it. Thinking/design Outside of the box. I did say "of my own design"
Old December 3rd, 2021, 09:31 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Good call on a proven Olds builder for this bad boy. Can hardly wait to see this progress!

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; December 4th, 2021 at 05:55 AM.
Old February 25th, 2022, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Not broken up anymore. And so it begins! Bryant SBO crank on order. 52.3 lbs. How much less then the SBO N crank?. Ordered specially made .937 lifters for Old's Batten AL Stage 2 heads being machining.

Bill trueing everything up before the real work is performed. 2.250 intake valves?

Old May 12th, 2022, 09:19 AM

Hope this works. Slow detail walk around the block

Old July 16th, 2022, 08:12 AM

A. J. Foyt

Batten heads are back from being worked on by Marty Zimmerman. Most just cleaning up the ports. Being a street car. He did not move thing around to put bigger valves. Hope to post pictures next week.

I have the Dyno sheets from A J.Foyt nascar days for HP blocks. They look like a copy of a copy of a copy. Hard to see. My scanner is down. But will get up and running. See if a can clear them up to post. There are about 7 different combinations.

Found some used Kooks custom headers, 2'' tube. Made for G body olds. Less than half the price of ARH which were only 1 7/8'' . Need a little work. #2 tube was change to get around motor plate. Mini starter and remote oil filter a must. Olds drag racer friend on Facebook is sending picture and notes to install on my car. .

I am the first engine Bill will get to, after he is done with all the racers engine. Wished I told him I was a racer But It is, what it is.

Last edited by HighwayStar 442; July 16th, 2022 at 08:23 AM.
Old July 16th, 2022, 08:55 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Nice looking headers, hopefully they fit as they should.
Old July 16th, 2022, 09:20 AM

Nice looking headers, hopefully they fit as they should.
Kooks, had the guy bring his G body Olds to them in NC to fit. Bill T. knows the guy. He lives near Bill. Will deliver on monday. Maybe 10 to 20 extra HP I hope. By going 2'' and not 17/8'' And they are Stainless steel.

Just saw "Engine Masters" larger tube grain 20 HP. On the same engine 440 dodge that was making like 540 HP. They give it a shot of NOS. It shot almost straight up on the dyno to 700+ . I can see doing 150 shot to 650 HP and leaving all kinds of drive train parts on the road. And twist the G body like a pretzel

Bill has me on a short rope. I want bigger cam, higher compression etc. . . He asks me if I want to drive it on the street? Brings me back to earth.

Quick Reply: Nascar 350 dx build 8,000+ rpm