Power steering brackets 70 350

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2017, 12:23 PM

Power steering brackets 70 350

So I have looked and searched but cannot find... I am putting my non-AC 350 back together. The alternator was on the driver’s side, it had triple pulleys, and the PO had “adjusted” the steering pump brackets to fit by drilling out mounting holes, etc., which placed it too close to the block. I got the correct pulleys, moved the alternator over, and all fits perfectly. I got a new set of steering pump brackets, all the correct spacers, installed them (correctly?) and it’s crooked. The brackets are also VERY tight from front to back. It was difficult to line up the bolt holes, but they went on with no modifications. It seems the front part of the bracket that attaches to the studs is off kilter - like if the studs weren’t there, it would fit. Or if the spacer wasn’t there, that kind of thing. It seems that the bracket that extends to the exhaust manifold is too short. The bracket face is not even, so the pump isn’t even. I am open to any suggestions as to what I may have missed or what adjustments can be made. The spacer on the bottom looks like it’s a good 1/8”+ too long. Here is a pic:

Old November 26th, 2017, 02:52 PM

OK - I'm Bob, and I'm an idiot (HI, Bob). So it seems that when I was threading the bolt into the block, the larger spacer fell out and I'm sure that's the misalignment we see here. Good reference pic. The problem that I have now is that the lower bracket piece in no way will fit onto the threaded bolt (with the small spacer) and leave enough room to install the large bolt (and large spacer) into the threaded hole in the block. The only way I can see this happening is to enlarge the hole in the bracket or shave the smaller spacer. The alignment misses by about 1/8" and there is no way I can push or bend this thick bracket to force the issue. Anyone else have this problem? Is there any other way to make this fit?

Last edited by BSiegPaint; November 26th, 2017 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Add pic
Old November 26th, 2017, 03:13 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by BSiegPaint
Is there any other way to make this fit?
The PS pump bracket is three parts. Loosen all the fasteners, get ALL the bolts started, THEN tighten the fasteners. Why are you using three groove pulleys on a non-A/C car?
Old November 26th, 2017, 03:18 PM

Joe - I'm probably being too wordy in my descriptions. I removed the triple pulleys for the correct doubles. They and the alternator line up perfectly. I have the power steering brackets apart, and the problem is that the bottom piece of the three brackets will not slip over the front threaded bolt and leave enough room to install the rear bolt into the block (the second pic).
Old November 26th, 2017, 03:24 PM
Old(s) Fart

Joe - I'm probably being too wordy in my descriptions. I removed the triple pulleys for the correct doubles. They and the alternator line up perfectly. I have the power steering brackets apart, and the problem is that the bottom piece of the three brackets will not slip over the front threaded bolt and leave enough room to install the rear bolt into the block (the second pic).
The spacer on the front cover stud looks a little long. Have you verified it is the correct 0.631" long?

Have you tried it with just the bottom bracket by itself? Are these the brackets that the PO "customized"? Any chance he deformed them at all?

Frankly, if the bottom bracket by itself won't line up and the spacer is correct, I'd hit it with a die grinder at this point, since you have the pulleys lined up correctly.
Old November 26th, 2017, 03:30 PM

I will measure that spacer - it looks long to me as well. It's a repro part from The Parts Place. And yes, the second pic was with just the bottom bracket by itself. The brackets are replacements for the ones that came on the car, not the original "adjusted" ones. These don't show any signs of being changed.
I'll check the spacer length first and grind second. Thank you!
Old November 26th, 2017, 05:30 PM

I will measure that spacer - it looks long to me as well. It's a repro part from The Parts Place. And yes, the second pic was with just the bottom bracket by itself. The brackets are replacements for the ones that came on the car, not the original "adjusted" ones. These don't show any signs of being changed.
I'll check the spacer length first and grind second. Thank you!
It was the top spacer. I had a different one I could use and once it slipped into place, so did everything else. And you are incredibly correct about leaving everything moderately loose until every single bolt or nut has been started. What a crazy mix of attaching points and fasteners.

Last question - if I didn’t tighten the bottom bolt that attaches the pump to the front bracket, would it leak like there’s no tomorrow?

Old November 26th, 2017, 05:41 PM
Old(s) Fart

Last question - if I didn’t tighten the bottom bolt that attaches the pump to the front bracket, would it leak like there’s no tomorrow?
It's a blind hole, so no problem.
Old November 26th, 2017, 05:46 PM

Then after all that work, I have a leak, and can't figure out where it's coming from. It looked like it was dripping from that very bottom attaching bolt, and I wondered if it would leak because I didn't tighten it fully. Oh well - I think I can do this installation in my sleep at this point. I appreciate all the help this evening
Old November 29th, 2017, 09:51 AM

Brake parts cleaner will wipe it away real quick..