Power steering pump bracket bolts

Search this Thread

Old September 18th, 2023, 08:12 AM

Power steering pump bracket bolts

Good morning,

I'm new to the site and could really use some help. I have an old Cadillac with the Oldsmobile 307 powerplant in it, and I'm trying to restore it. The car is a 1988 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance. The original bolt is apparently an odd size, because a 1/2" wrench wouldn't fit and the 9/16" was very loose and rounded the bolt head. I could grind it down a little to make it fit 1/2", but I really don't want to do that and I'm trying to avoid going to the junkyard. Oldsparts has a kit that might work, but they are currently out of stock. Does anyone know what the part number, thread size, and wrench size of this bolt is?

Thanks,
Olds307Guy
Old September 18th, 2023, 09:18 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

More than likely Metric. Which power steering bolt are you talking about?
Old September 18th, 2023, 09:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
More than likely Metric. Which power steering bolt are you talking about?
Yeah, it would help to know WHICH bolt...

Old September 18th, 2023, 02:37 PM

Olds 307 power steering bolt

It is actually listed under the engine in the assembly manual and it is GM part number 00404352 I can’t get much more information than that except the thread size and length of each end. The problem is the part has been discontinued and I’m trying to find a replacement for the one I rounded over. I also need to know the exact wrench size for this bolt. It supports the front of the power steering support bracket.

I am considering my options as far as getting one of these. I’d love to get a new one, and there is a place that has a kit with all the bolts and spacers, but the kid is on back order and has been for 45 days so I don’t really want to wait another month and a half to get them. I’m gonna order them, but put them in later. My first thought is to go to a junkyard and take one off an old engine. The Oldsmobile 307 was used in lots of different cars so I should have an easy time finding one if I can find something that all in the junkyard
Old September 18th, 2023, 02:59 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds307Guy
It supports the front of the power steering support bracket.
This doesn't really help. There are multiple fasteners that "support the front of the power steering support bracket".

1. There are two studs on the engine front cover that the bracket fits over. Nuts hold it on. These are SAE thread because they are heritage from model year 1968.
2. There are two bolts under the pump pulley that hold the pump to the front bracket. These may be metric with the 1980s metric PS pumps, but I suspect they are still SAE.
3. There is one self-tapping bolt that holds the lower bracket to the front bracket. This may be metric by the 1980s.
4. There is a nut and bolt that holds the front bracket to the lower alternator bracket. This is metric.
5. There is a bolt that holds the lower bracket to the side of the block. This is SAE and also heritage from the 1964 model year.
6. There is a stud in the rear of the pump that is held to the lower bracket with a nut. I'm pretty sure this was still SAE in the 1980s.

A photo of the specific bolt you are talking about would help you get a useful answer.

Old September 18th, 2023, 04:49 PM
Roy Ale

On my 1982 Oldsmobile with a 307 engine the 3 adjustment bolts are 15 mm. One adjustment bolt thru a hole in belt pulley , and two that have to be adjusted from under the car . I have not tried to remove the bracket from the engine so do not know what those bolts are .
link is a you tube video about the adjustment bolts
Old September 18th, 2023, 04:55 PM

All of the bracket bolts on the 307 in my Wifes 84 Riviera are metric. The only ones that are SAE are the ones that actually thread into the engine block. I replaced the water pump a few months ago and I swear I had half of my tool box out because all of the different size bolts.

You can tell the metric ones because they will have a strength rating like 8.8 or 10.0 etc on the head.
Old September 24th, 2023, 03:15 PM

Power steering pump bolts - update

Hi Guys,

sorry for the ambiguity regarding the bolts. I ordered a set of replacement bolts and spacers from oldsparts.com. They are heavily backordered, so I don’t know how long it will take to get them and a friend of mine showed me how to get the old bolt back in without damaging anything. It was easier than I thought. Now I have another problem. It concerns the bolt for the power steering support that goes to the side of the block. When I try to re-insert it, it won’t thread in. I also need to know if that spacer is necessary for a 1988 Cadillac brougham. It looks like it is. I have the spacer, so that’s not a problem. I can’t seem to find the big lock washer, but I can always get another one of those. The problem I have is the bolt doesn’t seem to wanna thread into that hole. I can’t understand what’s wrong because I stuck a fiber optic camera in the hole and it’s clean and the bolt is clean so it should go right in. It doesn’t seem that there’s anything in the way.

I also discovered something odd about the nuts and bolts in this car. It would appear that some of the bolts have SAE threads, but a metric sized head. Some of the nuts are the same way. It’s a little bit strange and I’m not sure why they do that.

I should probably go to the beginners form and introduce myself, but I will do it here. My name is Mike and I live in upstate NY. I have a 1988 Cadillac Brougham D’Elegance that I am trying to restore. And I had to remove the power steering pump and its brackets. One of the bolts got rounded over. I didn’t know about this peculiar situation where you can have metric size bolt heads, but SAE threads on the bolt. Although I am mechanically inclined, I’m kind of new to this, so I could use some help getting everything back together. I’ve got the spacer and what I believe to be the correct bolt for this, as I tried to keep everything in a compartment box, but for some reason the bolt isn’t threading in. I’m going to try again in a few minutes. I stuck a fiber optic camera in the hole to make sure the threads were not damaged and they appear to be perfect so I’m not sure what’s going on. I will keep you posted.

thanks,

Olds307Guy
Old September 24th, 2023, 03:17 PM

Bolts for power steering

Guys,

in reply, to the other person who posted, the bolt, I am referring to at this time is number five in the assembly diagram that they included.
Old September 24th, 2023, 04:50 PM

That bolt can be a pain. If you had the spacer originally then you need to keep it in there. I found the best way to get that bolt in was with all of the other bolts loose so the bracket could move some.