Quadrajet rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old October 7th, 2011, 06:36 PM

Quadrajet rebuild?

Ok…another long sad story coming!

I started putting this ’72 back in shape about 3 years ago and have been driving it once or more times a week in the summer ever since. Only carburetion type issue I had was that initially it would be hard to start after reaching temperature and being shut off for a while. In other words driving to the next town to buy something and when I’d come out of the store and try to start it I would crank and crank but it wouldn’t start. If I let it sit a while it would start up fine. Ran smooth and had good acceleration, otherwise. We have taken it on several day trips without any problems.

About 2 weeks ago we had a warm spell here and I wanted to drive it to work. About half way there it started sounding funny, gas peddle went mushy and it eventually died. Could not get it restarted for love nor money. I had it towed back home.

I started tinkering around with it in the garage. With the air cleaner off, I tried staring it. I let it crank a little and pumped the gas peddle a few times…..nothing happened. I worked the linkage manually but could not smell any gas. It was acting like it was not getting gas from the fuel pump. Fuel line, fuel pump, and filter were all new as of 3 years ago.

As I was leaning over the fender just looking and thinking, not touching or moving anything I heard a very slight “click” and sound of rushing liquid. I got back in and turned the key it fired up.

I pulled the filter but it wasn't dirty or clogged. I did worry that the gas tank may have crud in it that clogged the filter but that was not the case.

So I’m thinking that the float is sticking? Does that sound right? I put some STP in the gas and squirted some carburetor cleaner in and around the throat. I’ve been testing it every day since then and can’t get it to fail but I do not feel comfortable about driving it.

The carburetor has never had any work done on it. There is 115K actual miles on the car. Do you think I should have the carburetor rebuilt? Any recommendations on who might do that work?

Any and all advice appreciated!

Robert
Old October 7th, 2011, 07:05 PM

Hey,NO,expert here,but i think your guess is pretty close.Sounds like you had a stuck float.Qjets are great...or thier not? I've had both,no need to make an issuse about it,mess with it,tinker if you will.My method is to mark every change i make ,so i can always go back to Where i was!!!Beyond that Q-jets are relivety simple,the top comes off with out spilling fuel,if you see trash in the bowls ,clean them.Usally ,replace the accecarater pump,and float,put the top back on ,and test from there .SET the float right!!It comes with a measuring guide usally.Keeping it simple.Let us know ,good luck,later,BO
Old October 7th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

At 115,000 miles, the carb. should be rebuilt. I think that's in the manual.

If I were you, though, I would like to assure myself that a sticking float was in fact the problem.
While this problem was going on, did you check the spark? Was it bright blue?
Did you double check the dwell and timing? (Yes, I know it finally started)
Did you try to pour some gas in the carb. to be sure it was a no-fuel problem?
And the dumb question: Did it feel like it was running out of gas just before it quit?

That being said, it's easy as hell to rebuild a carb, or to replace a needle and seat, and cheap, too, so you might as well do it.

Keep a little can of gas or a can of starting ether in the car after you get it going again, though, so that if it does this again, you can juice it a bit and prove that this is a fuel problem.

- Eric
Old October 7th, 2011, 07:22 PM

Sorry,but after some thought ,it 's probably a "waterlogged" float.Which means its got a leak,it should be bouyant.You can also fix a sticking float on the road by putting a piece of wire in the vent tube of the carb.loosing the float ,alowing fuel in the bowl again.I'm tired,good luck with it.Later,BO
Old October 7th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

A waterlogged float would do it all the time.

His runs fine, then suddenly stops.

- Eric
Old October 7th, 2011, 08:03 PM

Is the fuel filter the type with a built in check valve? They can stick, if it is change it with a quality brand one even if it is clean. When working with the filter be patient and cautious not to damage threads on the fuel inlet nut that houses the filter, many Q-jets have been damaged changing filters. Try to determine if it is a fuel problem before pulling things apart.

An intermittent fuel pump is more likely than a sticking float in my opinion. If you can reproduce the problem try opening the fuel tank and listen for the fuel flowing sound, it may be an air lock situation related to a restricted vent. Can someone chime in here, does anyone know where the vents would be?

Also look for cracked fuel hoses on the suction side of the pump at the pump and at the tank. These will sometimes give a fuel odor but it will evaporate quickly and can be difficult to see.