Replacing Head Gaskets On My 330 (lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2015, 07:46 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

But it was guaranteed to be a complete disaster if you didn't rebuild it to new spec.
Did you put some snake oil in it?, fairy dust in the gas tank?, don't keep us in suspense, everybody knows new gaskets alone weren't the answer.....

Nice job!.

Roger.
Old June 15th, 2015, 12:48 PM

For $150.00 bucks Not all that bad of a job. I will say if you are happy i can eat crow. If anyone can post a picture of a guy eating crow that would be me.LOL I am glad it lives. What i really like is what that engine is in.Looking forward to seeing progress on it. Congrats have a good one.

Last edited by wr1970; June 19th, 2015 at 04:31 AM.
Old June 15th, 2015, 09:52 PM

Fixed the leak! Just had to pull the plug out, wrap the threads with teflon tape, and re-install. Took a few minutes to adjust the headlights so the little trips around the block are not so dark. Figured out that the light switch is not the correct one. The front parking lights don't work when the headlights are on. Simple fix, gonna have to visit RockAuto next payday.

IMG_20150615_190420268_HDR_zpsddnf9ey8.jpg

Not sure how accurate these gauges are, but they are stable. I'll get a new thermostat in that RockAuto order.

IMG_20150615_190743786_HDR_zpsfkldkrzc.jpg

Hoist.gifHoist.gifHoist.gif
Attached Images
File Type: gif
Hoist.gif (36.9 KB, 0 views)
Old June 16th, 2015, 06:18 AM
Administrator

With a 195 deg thermostat that temp is correct. Is that your oil pressure when the engine is completely warmed at idle? If it is then you'll get many more miles out of it.
Old June 16th, 2015, 06:22 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Sweet. I love to see this sort of thing.

- Eric
Old June 16th, 2015, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
With a 195 deg thermostat that temp is correct. Is that your oil pressure when the engine is completely warmed at idle? If it is then you'll get many more miles out of it.
I don't know what the temp is on the old thermostat and a new one is cheap insurance against overheating. The oil pressure is at a very high idle. Maybe 1500 RPM. At a normal idle the gauge reads about 28~30. With a decent carb I should be able to correct the idle and get some realistic readings. Next up mechanically is the trans. I have a TH2004r already, just need to get the parts to rebuild it. Nothing exciting, just a little stronger than stock.
Attached Images
Old June 16th, 2015, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Sweet. I love to see this sort of thing.

- Eric
Thanks Dood! I love driving these old cars. This is my second one. I had a '67 CS vert about 20 years ago and really enjoyed it. This one is slightly worse for wear, but not much.

Attached Images
Old June 16th, 2015, 09:05 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

It may be the front marker lights were supposed to go out when the headlights came on. I think it was a throwback to the dynamo generator days.

Roger.
Old June 16th, 2015, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by rustyroger
It may be the front marker lights were supposed to go out when the headlights came on.
Roger.
correct
Old June 16th, 2015, 07:53 PM

It may be the front marker lights were supposed to go out when the headlights came on.
Roger.
Originally Posted by Octania
correct
You guys are right. I mis-remembered after reading this thread about the differences in light switches between '67 and prior, and '68 and later. Muh Bad! But since I like having front parking lights on all the time, anybody know if there would be a problem with connecting them to the same circuit as the tail lights?
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...sue-67-cs.html
Old June 17th, 2015, 08:04 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

That is extremely good oil pressure, shows it was worth your time to reseal it.
Old June 17th, 2015, 08:44 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by cjsdad
... anybody know if there would be a problem with connecting them to the same circuit as the tail lights?
Nope. Just connect the two circuits.

- Eric
Old June 18th, 2015, 12:09 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Might be a good idea to upgrade to an alternator if you have a dynamo right now.

Roger.
Old June 18th, 2015, 06:13 AM

Might be a good idea to upgrade to an alternator if you have a dynamo right now.

Roger.
Are you referring to an externally-regulated alternator as a dynamo? I do have plans to update the entire charging system so I can add a stereo and other such luxury conveniences. But it is working fine for now. Once I get more things working right I can consider changing things around. BTW, I once owned a 1960 Plymouth Valiant which was the first American-made automobile to have a factory installed alternator instead of a generator! THAT was a fun car!
Old June 19th, 2015, 02:27 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

No. I meant the old fashioned dc generator. Old cars turned off the front marker light when the headlights were on because the generator struggled to cope.
The size of a cars charging system (Amps output) is determined by the demands of the electrical services. A monster stereo and amplifier might draw 20 amps on full blast.

Roger.
Old June 19th, 2015, 05:36 AM

No. I meant the old fashioned dc generator. Old cars turned off the front marker light when the headlights were on because the generator struggled to cope.
The size of a cars charging system (Amps output) is determined by the demands of the electrical services. A monster stereo and amplifier might draw 20 amps on full blast.

Roger.
Dood! You have no idea what kind of stereo I have in mind. I installed stereos for a living for 15 years. A stereo that only draws 20 amps is a clock radio to me. I'm talking about a stereo that will draw 120 amps at full voice. I have installed stereos in the past that needed extra batteries and extreme output alternators to compensate. I have built my fair share of street beaters, yeah, those annoying mini trucks that cruise the neighborhoods pissing off the neighbors! I also put $25 K worth of stereo equipment into a Porsche 930 Turbo once upon a time too. Trying to find places to put that much stereo in that little car was FUN!

Attached Images
Old June 19th, 2015, 07:17 AM

So eating Crow wasn't good enough for you huh. My feeble attempt at making peace with you.

Last edited by wr1970; June 19th, 2015 at 07:24 AM.
Old June 19th, 2015, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by wr1970
So eating Crow wasn't good enough for you huh. My feeble attempt at making peace with you.
I just think it is extremely funny that you got your panties in a wad over someone doing the same thing to you as you did to me. You have a lot of experience and therefore have a lot to offer in the area of vehicle maintenance and modification. I enjoyed your positive input and will always take honest advice as helpful but ya gotta temper it with understanding that this is the internet. If you want to be taken seriously, you have to give the advice constructively and you can't be too thin skinned with the replies.

Attached Images
Old June 19th, 2015, 07:57 AM

I just think it is extremely funny that you got your panties in a wad over someone doing the same thing to you as you did to me. You have a lot of experience and therefore have a lot to offer in the area of vehicle maintenance and modification. I enjoyed your positive input and will always take honest advice as helpful but ya gotta temper it with understanding that this is the internet. If you want to be taken seriously, you have to give the advice constructively and you can't be too thin skinned with the replies.

It wasn't that my panties got in a wad i was trying to point out what was wrong with the post.Sometimes humor is good and sometime when trying to make a point it becomes unwanted. Back to you and me crow insn't to bad just hard to talk with feathers. Oh i never said it wouldn't work the way you did it just not what i would do.Success was the end game and you achieved that.That was why give credit where do and i did that.
Old June 19th, 2015, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by wr1970
It wasn't that my panties got in a wad i was trying to point out what was wrong with the post.Sometimes humor is good and sometime when trying to make a point it becomes unwanted. Back to you and me crow insn't to bad just hard to talk with feathers. Oh i never said it wouldn't work the way you did it just not what i would do.Success was the end game and you achieved that.That was why give credit where do and i did that.
Thank you! I appreciate that. Like i said, you obviously have a lot of experience and I value that. I have worked as a fleet mechanic for a farming business before but that was a LOT of "get it running and keep it running". I like to think I can always learn more and better ways to do things so don't stop giving advice. But you can't take things too personal on the internet.
Old June 21st, 2015, 02:06 PM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Dood! You have no idea what kind of stereo I have in mind. I installed stereos for a living for 15 years. A stereo that only draws 20 amps is a clock radio to me. I'm talking about a stereo that will draw 120 amps at full voice. I have installed stereos in the past that needed extra batteries and extreme output alternators to compensate. I have built my fair share of street beaters, yeah, those annoying mini trucks that cruise the neighborhoods pissing off the neighbors! I also put $25 K worth of stereo equipment into a Porsche 930 Turbo once upon a time too. Trying to find places to put that much stereo in that little car was FUN!
Alright, I'm way out of touch with modern stereo systems. Probably because I don't care for concrete breaking sound levels or a trunk I can't use because it's full of speakers.
Good luck running one of those systems with the original alternator!.

Roger.
Old June 24th, 2015, 08:49 PM

So I found another carb that matches the one I have. Bought it for $9.50 on ebay. Took it apart and cleaned everything just like the last one, took the old one apart and took the new kit out of it, and put it in the new one. While taking the old carb apart, I found a couple cracks in it. One in the body, and one in the top cover. That probably explains why it wouldn't idle right.

New carb cleaned and installed! The Hooptie II runs great now!

IMG_20150624_192619994_HDR_zpspxsvnv0d.jpg

So far, no leaks.

IMG_20150624_192839569_HDR_zpseb7vklt1.jpg
Old June 24th, 2015, 09:06 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Great! That's the way to do it!

- Eric
Old June 24th, 2015, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Ahhhh memories of my childhood and on a budget. Very well done.
Old June 24th, 2015, 09:20 PM

Ahhhh memories of my childhood and on a budget. Very well done.
I am a tight fisted SOB, but no longer in my childhood. Or even in my youth. I'm 52 years old. Just don't see the reason to spend money that I don't need to.

Attached Images
Old June 24th, 2015, 09:39 PM
Administrator

I wasn't referring to your age, just the attitude. I too am a cheap SOB, my car was put together inexpensively with a lot of love. Most people don't understand that you can rebuild (I use this term loosely) an engine just by replacing the wear parts and wind up with a decent driver. Everyone feels that it has to go to a machine shop and all the internals need to be replaced with all new parts.
Old June 24th, 2015, 09:52 PM

I wasn't referring to your age, just the attitude. I too am a cheap SOB, my car was put together inexpensively with a lot of love. Most people don't understand that you can rebuild (I use this term loosely) an engine just by replacing the wear parts and wind up with a decent driver. Everyone feels that it has to go to a machine shop and all the internals need to be replaced with all new parts.
I use the term "rebuild" for the same thing. Re-ring, new crank, cam, and rod bearings, freshened heads=rebuilt. The high dollar builds where the crank gets ground, line hone the mains, bore the cylinders, new pistons, new valves and valve guides. That's a "re-manufactured" engine! Everything re-manufactured back to factory spec is really cool for a restoration but for a Hooptie, a rebuild is fine.

Attached Images
Old June 25th, 2015, 01:04 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

A "rebuild" can mean all things to all men.
From an oil change and a coat of paint to everything re-machined or replaced with new assembled to the exact original design, aka blueprinted.

52 years old?, still in the first flush of youth!.

Roger.
Old June 25th, 2015, 05:18 AM
Administrator

I'm 57 and I'm way past the first flush.
Old June 26th, 2015, 06:24 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

I'm 57 and I'm way past the first flush.
I must be nearly ready to be flushed away then.

Roger.
Old June 26th, 2015, 05:01 PM

I must be nearly ready to be flushed away then.

Roger.
36_15_271_zps52c3ab1c.gif Dood! If you're that old, you're the guy I want to hear tell stories! I used to love listening to my Grandfathers tell stories from "Back in the day!" My Grandfather on my Dad's side fought in WWI and the other was a real, honest-to-god cowboy. My Great-Grandfather on my Dad's side actually rode with Jesse James! Talk about some fun stories! You gotta spin some out for us!

Attached Images
Old June 26th, 2015, 08:31 PM

Been watching this thread from the start, along with the criticism of your methods.
What initially caught my attention is that your project is a 330, an engine for which I've had
great fondness since I've been old enough to drive.
(I just turned '66 and my first ride/hotrod was a '66 Cutlass Supreme
I inherited from my Dad who bought it new, high compression 330).
I've lost track of how many 330 cars I've had over the years. Currently have 3.
The 330 durability is amazing.
Although you didn't do a surgery-room repair/rebuild as many insisted you should,
you did an excellent economy repair as you made clear was your intent from the start, a temporary fix.
After seeing your methods, I was confident you'd be successful.
That oil pressure looks really good.
Just for curiosity, I'd be tempted to do a compression test
just to get a better idea of the general condition of this engine, but,
I guess you really don't care since you're just trying to get a riding season out of it
before getting into a serious rebuild.
Congrats on your success.
Old June 27th, 2015, 02:03 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Dood! If you're that old, you're the guy I want to hear tell stories! I used to love listening to my Grandfathers tell stories from "Back in the day!" My Grandfather on my Dad's side fought in WWI and the other was a real, honest-to-god cowboy. My Great-Grandfather on my Dad's side actually rode with Jesse James! Talk about some fun stories! You gotta spin some out for us!
I was fascinated by my grandfathers and their contemporaries tales of life in the trenches in WW!, not all mud, death, and trench foot apparently.

I first came to the USA to visit a guy who was married briefly to my parents neighbor, he enlisted in the US Army in 1937 and crossed over to the USAF some time later. I met up with several of his wartime buddies, I was enthralled to listen to some of their experiences, nothing I ever did compares to some of their adventures. The world is a lesser place for his passing some ten years ago.

Roger.