roller tip rockers install trouble

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2015, 01:36 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

If it bends its only 15 bucks. I'm one cheap s.o.b but on a Friday night I will spend more than that at the local pub between dinner and beer. A 15 dollar mistake means I will have to drink at home and work on something lol.
Old February 1st, 2015, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
To bleed the lifters it take some time in my experience. Btw I thought you had a shorter pushrod . I looked through the thread and saw you mentioned 8.28 ? double check make sure because although im using a tape measure to measure the pushrods im at a 1/16th over a 1/4 in. 1/16 is only .062 . Shipping should be cheap if you wanna try these out but i wanna make sure im giving you something thats longer than what you already have lol

We got about 8 inches of snow. Did my driveway, back patio , front porch and did the whole sidewalk along rt 31 on our block . Had a redbull and taking a break before house chores lol. Gotta clean the basement/workshop.
No, my first measurement was pure slop. I tried again and came up with 8.1875 which I rounded to the stock size of 8.234 (given that I was using a tape measure). Yours are definitely longer.
Old February 1st, 2015, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Beob
Hey man, I ain't tellin you what to do, was just sayin. Good luck!
Lol, just funnin' ya. I checked and the one I ordered was the "Hi Tech".
Old February 1st, 2015, 02:11 PM

Almost Superbowl time. I'll watch but my Cowboys were still robbed

Last edited by Macadoo; February 1st, 2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old February 1st, 2015, 02:14 PM

If it bends its only 15 bucks. I'm one cheap s.o.b but on a Friday night I will spend more than that at the local pub between dinner and beer. A 15 dollar mistake means I will have to drink at home and work on something lol.
Roger that. I don't mind being the test dummy for that kind of coin. Heck, a movie with the family with popcorn is over $50!

I won't hurt anything but the measuring rod....right? It's not going to send shrapnel down the pushrod hole is it?
Old February 1st, 2015, 02:28 PM

Idk about shrapnel . Mine just bent at the threads . I will try to get those pushrods out Monday for ya. I'm gonna ship them in a priority envelope so shouldn't be more than a few bucks. Don't worry about the shipping mac. I'm super happy with the laptop you sent me . A few bucks to help a fellow olds buddy ain't a big thing.
Old February 1st, 2015, 04:30 PM

Idk about shrapnel . Mine just bent at the threads . I will try to get those pushrods out Monday for ya. I'm gonna ship them in a priority envelope so shouldn't be more than a few bucks. Don't worry about the shipping mac. I'm super happy with the laptop you sent me . A few bucks to help a fellow olds buddy ain't a big thing.
Thank you my friend, I'll pay it forward. Glad the lappy is working for you. Like I said, it's a tight little machine.
Old February 1st, 2015, 06:04 PM

Anyone ever use lash caps to true up geometry? Looks like .040" is the thinnest available but up to .100 if needed. Just curious.
Old February 1st, 2015, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Macadoo
I was told by a couple of folks here on CO that my original/stock pushrods would be okay so that's what I'm using. They look nice and pristine; no galling or other wear.
Something those folks neglected to tell you is that when you are using guide plates with roller rockers you need hardened push rods, which the factory ones are not.
Old February 1st, 2015, 09:01 PM

The comp cams roller tip rocker kit comes with high energy pushrods which are like factory replacement style pushrods. I know this because I'm running the same pushrods on my set up right now and have for many many years with no issues. This is not a full roller and the pushrods comp reccomends are not hardened. I'm running a lot more valve spring pressure and cam lift than mac. I'm on the ragged edge of the limit of the roller tip rockers as far as spring pressures go.

Last edited by coppercutlass; February 1st, 2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 04:00 AM

What heads are you working with?

Are you SURE your checker p-rod isn't hitting the pushrod hole in the head and bending? I've seen this happen with too long of rods.

You SHOULD use a checker spring(much lower pressure) to use the length checker, as high pressure springs WILL bend even the best checkers.

Also a tape measure is too inaccurate to get a good reading, need large calipers or a large mic.

I fail to see how the plug being in the head would increase the force on the checker pushrod(ok maybe SLIGHTLY from trying to open the valves under compression), but I've always done it with the all the plugs out anyway, makes turning it over much easier.

Greg
Old February 2nd, 2015, 05:06 AM

The O.P. hasn't bent anything , and although the tape mesure is inaccurate it can get you in the ball park. Never said it was accurate. Edit: to better explain how I can say we are in a good ball park area is this. I used to work in a machine shop we set out machines in degrees and minutes measured in thousanths. .030 is a noticeable diffrence to the naked eye . Measuring the pushrod with a tape measure won't get you within a thousanth but it will get you very close . I mentioned earlier when I checked my pattern I didn't see any significant changes in pattern @ .050 incriments on the pushrod checker. Higher than that closer to .100 it was noticeable significantly . Not trying to be condesending but that's my experience.

Last edited by coppercutlass; February 2nd, 2015 at 12:24 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 03:23 PM

Yeah greg, nothing bent. New cam has smaller base circle so I'm not getting enough preload. Of course using the measuring rod and light springs would be the way to go but sometimes we just have to wing it with what we have on hand. We're having some unexpected costs here at the Mac Dome and I promised the wife I wouldn't make any major purchases. Copper was kind enough to swap a set of adjustable roller tips for a laptop. If I couldn't play with the Olds I'd fall into a very deep depression
Old February 2nd, 2015, 03:27 PM

The comp cams roller tip rocker kit comes with high energy pushrods which are like factory replacement style pushrods. I know this because I'm running the same pushrods on my set up right now and have for many many years with no issues. This is not a full roller and the pushrods comp reccomends are not hardened. I'm running a lot more valve spring pressure and cam lift than mac. I'm on the ragged edge of the limit of the roller tip rockers as far as spring pressures go.
Are you running the PRWs or do you have another set of the Comps?
Old February 6th, 2015, 03:15 PM

I just spent 20 minutes writing an update to this thread, hit the submit button and the web page wouldn't load. Lost it. So here's the short version.

1. Copper was generous and sent me some pushrods, 8.3" verified. Using a machinist's square, a straight edge, and the measuring rod I verified that my stock rods are 8.234".
2. Copper's work but put the pattern a little too low...
[IMG][/IMG]

3. Used the length checker from Comp (it didn't bend, woot!) to move the pattern closer to center but at 8.25" the rocker started to bind on the stud again. It still rocked but I had to gently pry it off to remove it.
4. So that seems too short even though the pattern still isn't quite centered.
5. Could the studs be too long? They're the same studs that come in the 1441-kit from Comp.
6. So with 8.25" being too short and 8.3" being too long I may just split the difference and get some 8.280 chromolly pushrods from Summit.

Sound like a plan?

Last edited by Macadoo; February 6th, 2015 at 03:20 PM.
Old February 6th, 2015, 03:22 PM

Note: the pattern looks a little funky. Maybe because I forgot the clean the assembly lube off the roller tip before checking.
Old February 6th, 2015, 03:25 PM

Might these fit the bill?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-7131-8/overview/

Are tapered pushrods okay for my 350?
Old February 6th, 2015, 03:47 PM

mac the only way to get it perfect is to mill the pads so that the stud drops down lower . You kind of have to live with what you got or make it 100 precent right. Hate to say that but im in the same boat as you due to the machine shop who did the heads. Now my question for you is did you lash it out when you split the diffrence and rotated the engine with the pushrod tool ?

Last edited by coppercutlass; February 6th, 2015 at 03:59 PM.
Old February 6th, 2015, 04:06 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

That looks "very good enough" to me, Mac, especially for your non-rebuilt street motor.

I'd be happy that the free pushrods got you that close, make sure that the engine actually runs, and leave it at that.

Perfect is the enemy of good.

- Eric
Old February 6th, 2015, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
That looks "very good enough" to me, Mac, especially for your non-rebuilt street motor.

I'd be happy that the free pushrods got you that close, make sure that the engine actually runs, and leave it at that.

Perfect is the enemy of good.

- Eric
X2 - that pattern looks fine.
Old February 6th, 2015, 04:50 PM

Well he only got 12 lol. Had some issues with my box so I sent them in a padded envelope and I didn't count them I think I left 4 in the box which is in my car I will look. Mac the pushrods are appx 8.310 . When I measure with a tape measure I was at 1\16 past a 1\4 in pretty much on the mark. Rounding down I get 8.310. I wil try to find the other 4 pushrods I know for a fact I boxed 16 but probably didn't shake the packagaing material enough. That's what I get for wrapping them in news paper and boxing them in a box I can't ship lol. Sorry bud. I also agree your pattern is not bad. I wouldn't worry.
Old February 6th, 2015, 04:57 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Well he only got 12...
So, he's got a V-6 now. Very efficient.

- Eric
Old February 6th, 2015, 05:30 PM

Well if you guys are happy, I'm happy.

So, he's got a V-6 now. Very efficient.

- Eric
Trying to think of a clever comeback...but I got nothin'. Lol.
How's the weather up there, Eric?
Old February 6th, 2015, 05:32 PM

mac the only way to get it perfect is to mill the pads so that the stud drops down lower . You kind of have to live with what you got or make it 100 precent right. Hate to say that but im in the same boat as you due to the machine shop who did the heads. Now my question for you is did you lash it out when you split the diffrence and rotated the engine with the pushrod tool ?
Yup, tightened until I felt resistance at the pushrod and went half a turn further. Both with yours and the checker. THe resistance was harder to tell with the checker due to the threads but I think I did okay.
Old February 6th, 2015, 05:42 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

How's the weather up there, Eric?
Below zero too much. And it seems to be snowing. ALL THE TIME.

Looks like I may have to do the annual maintenance on my snowblower twice this year.

I feel like I moved to Buffalo.

- Eric
Old February 6th, 2015, 06:12 PM

Yeah, second year for sub-zero temps here as well. Is that uncommon for your area? I was in Portland many years ago, checking out the art school, but it was summer. Beautiful up there.
Old February 6th, 2015, 06:18 PM

I have owner my toro snow blower 3 years. It came with my house lol. I have not done crap to it lol. It loves 110 sunoco premixes 50 to 1 lol.
Old February 6th, 2015, 06:27 PM
Justin

Eric , you can send some of your snow to Utah it's been like spring most of our winter! It's been nice but I really need some wrecked cars that need the engines pulled for frame rail repair.

Hey Mac post some pics of the rockers what's the part number in them?

Last edited by oldstata; February 6th, 2015 at 06:29 PM.
Old February 6th, 2015, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by oldstata
Eric , you can send some of your snow to Utah it's been like spring most of our winter! It's been nice but I really need some wrecked cars that need the engines pulled for frame rail repair.

Hey Mac post some pics of the rockers what's the part number in them?
It's this kit from Comp Cams.

http://www.compperformancegroupstore...ode=OldsRocker

I traded Copper a laptop for them. It was a nice, clean unit and I did a fresh install but still, I think I got the better deal.
Old February 6th, 2015, 06:57 PM
Justin

It's this kit from Comp Cams.

http://www.compperformancegroupstore...ode=OldsRocker

I traded Copper a laptop for them. It was a nice, clean unit and I did a fresh install but still, I think I got the better deal.
Win win as long as both of you are happy. Thanks for the link
Old February 6th, 2015, 06:58 PM

Mac we both got something we needed and we didn't exchange money. The only thing of value I spent money on where the studs they where new . The rockers where "community rockers" and there was no value to those freebies given as freebies same goes for the guide plates.
Old February 6th, 2015, 07:10 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Yeah, second year for sub-zero temps here as well. Is that uncommon for your area?
A few days below zero every year is normal here on the coast, but we've had two weeks of frequent dips below zero and lots of single digits, which is colder than usual.
Also a lot of snow. It's getting to where the snow on either side of the sidewalks in some areas is over your head, and that only normally happens well inland.

Beautiful up there.
Yeah, in the summer.

- Eric
Old February 6th, 2015, 07:48 PM

Mac we both got something we needed and we didn't exchange money. The only thing of value I spent money on where the studs they where new . The rockers where "community rockers" and there was no value to those freebies given as freebies same goes for the guide plates.
Like Justin said, it was a win-win

A few days below zero every year is normal here on the coast, but we've had two weeks of frequent dips below zero and lots of single digits, which is colder than usual.
Also a lot of snow. It's getting to where the snow on either side of the sidewalks in some areas is over your head, and that only normally happens well inland.

- Eric
I remember pumping gas back in the early 80's, my first job, many night of 40 below wind chills. But that was 30-some years ago. Now we're getting it again, last year and this year. It's hell on the heating bill.

Last edited by Macadoo; February 17th, 2015 at 03:09 PM.
Old February 12th, 2015, 04:13 PM

Bone-headed move

Alright folks, I got my new pushrods today and for some reason I ordered 3/8" rods. I must have been trippin' that day, not really sure. So I can either return them and get 5/16" rods or buy new guideplates (faster but more money). I gotta' say, these 3/8" pushrods look pretty beefy.
I found these on Summit and would like some backup that I'm not making another bone-headed move:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ed...ake/oldsmobile
Or should I exchange them for the 5/16" rods? Thoughts?
Old February 12th, 2015, 04:14 PM

Ugh, yeah, I see it. For Edelbrock heads. The search continues.
Old February 17th, 2015, 01:57 PM

Another update

I ended up ordering a set of Trick Flow one-piece pushrods; 5/16 x 8.3. I went to install them and adjust the preload this afternoon but the rockers were still binding. I pulled everything, including the studs, and discovered the studs had been gouged pretty good, I'm assuming from the first install with the too-short pushrods. And not just material removed, but bunched up into ridges that protrude maybe 1/32 inch (maybe less), down close to the jam-nut.
I'm hoping this is the NEW reason for the rockers binding. I bought a new set of studs from Summit so I guess I'll find out. I inspected the rockers and they appear to be fine.
Summit ship-times are pretty good for me, should just be a couple of days. I'll update this weekend.
Old February 17th, 2015, 03:07 PM

The machine shop that did my head work installed new exhaust valves. I just discovered that those stems are shorter than the intakes by about .010. Hopefully the adjustable rockers will compensate for this. I should have caught this stuff when I was building the engine.
Old February 17th, 2015, 03:35 PM

Mac. I though you checked preload with the pushrod length checker 1/2 turn on the rocker nut when you checked for length . Something does not add up. Did you not spin the engine over ? The adjustable rockers eliminate the valves neededing to be dead nuts on height. With non adjustable they need to be right on. I may add when I checked for the length of the pushrod I needed I installed the checked and treated it as a normal pushrod gave it the half turn for lash etc etc and turned the engine over to check for anything that was wrong. I used the checking springs though which made it easy. When you use the checker with your regualr springs when you give ithalf a turn one of 3 things will happen you will compress the lifter which is not very likely or you will start to compress the valve open , or you will bend the pushrod when lashing out with the pushrod length checker. I bent a pushrod length checker not using the light springs although you mentioned yours did not bend ?

Last edited by coppercutlass; February 17th, 2015 at 03:43 PM.
Old February 17th, 2015, 04:34 PM

Yeah Copper, I followed the proper procedure with the checker. I tightened to zero lash (pushrod had just a bit of friction), turned a half turn more, and manually turned the engine over. Although instead of going all the way around several times, I cranked the engine back and forth, cranked it forward, valve open then closed, then backward, open and closed, then forward again, opened and then closed. The length I came up with was between 8.25 and 8.28 which the shorter exhaust valve would now account for the difference (and the checker is .050 per turn so it's hard to be exact).
I think my lifters have bled down which is why I'm not bending the checker rod.
The studs are very gouged so I'm hoping that accounts for the new binding problem.
The instructions for the roller tips say to install all the rockers and leave them loose. I'm tempted to just install one cylinder at a time and adjust before installing the next set.
Old February 17th, 2015, 04:49 PM

Leave them loose ? what do you mean install one at a time just to check for binding one at a time ?

Quick Reply: roller tip rockers install trouble