Starting issue

Search this Thread

Old February 10th, 2008, 04:26 PM

Starting issue

OK today I fixed a bent fuel elbow, put in a shinny new vacuum advance, and changed the oil.

I put in the fuel elbow on vacuum can before I even started the car. Car started up fine.

Took it for a drive to see if the advance is working or if the timing is off, seems to be a little bit better, but I think the timing is up too high.

Pulled up in front of my house, doubleparked, pulled the wifes car out of the way and parked my car there and got it up on the stands. Changed the oil (I used all 10w-30 conventional, 3 quarts of Shell, and 2 quarts of Quaker State) and after I was done I started the car and the crank was weak, very weak like it wasn't going to start. It did start though. The water temp was at 170* or so

I just took it out for a spin. The engine had very little warmth on the manifold, and the water temp gauge was resting on the bottom peg. It did give that "crank-nothing-crank-nothing-crank-start" but it started up. I put it sideways a bit pulling out of my delevopment and it moved when floored.

Drove around for a few mintues, got home and the temp was at 180*. waited a mintue with the motor off, but the key on and the electric fan kicked on (195* on) the car did start, but it was like "errr--------------------errr-----------------errr---------start *weak like less than 500 rpms and then ran fine. Turned it off and tried again and it cranked weakly, but WOULD not turn over.

After reading many posts on here, I'm pretty sure it's the timing. Am I right? hopefully I am, because if I am, the advance is working and retiming it is no problem

The timing was set to 34* total, but if the advance wasn't working then, that means it was at 34* instead of 20* The only thing is that I wasn't getting any pinging and the car ran great
Old February 10th, 2008, 06:05 PM

Yep, sounds like you initial timing is off, too advanced I believe,

Don
Old February 10th, 2008, 06:16 PM

Whoo hoo, the advance works
Old February 11th, 2008, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by Redog
........ After reading many posts on here, I'm pretty sure it's the timing .........
I'm pretty its not the timing. I'm also sure you have been reading the wrong posts.

From: https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...html#post15640

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
........ It's primary purpose is to help increase fuel economy and it's secondary is to enhance "off idle" throttle response. At anything above idle, it only works under high vacuum (cruise) conditions ........
That "shinny new vacuum advance" is not your problem.

........ The timing was set to 34* total, but if the advance wasn't working ........
If the automatic (centrifugal) and vacuum advancers were not working, your initial and total would be the same 34°

........ I wasn't getting any pinging and the car ran great
Check your starter/battery/charging system.

Norm

Last edited by 88 coupe; February 11th, 2008 at 01:56 AM.
Old February 11th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Past Administrator

"Check your starter/battery/charging system."

I second that.
Old February 11th, 2008, 12:15 PM

When you changed the vacuum advance you altered the initial timing. Set the timing with a timing light & the vacuum advance disconnected.

If your "Hot Start" problem persist you would then need to "Check your starter/battery/charging system."

Don
Old February 11th, 2008, 05:27 PM

Started fine before I put the advance in
Old February 11th, 2008, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dapapadon
When you changed the vacuum advance you altered the initial timing ........
Not possible. The only way the initial setting can be changed, is by rotating the distributor.

Read post #4 again.

........ Set the timing with a timing light & the vacuum advance disconnected ........
From post #1:

........ The timing was set to 34* total, but if the advance wasn't working then, that means it was at 34* ........
If the advance wasn't working, it was set at 34°.

"Not working" is the same as, disconnected.

........ The only thing is that I wasn't getting any pinging and the car ran great
Good indication, that the advance is where it should be.

........ If your "Hot Start" problem persist ........
There is no evidence that points to a "hot start" problem, whatever that might be.

Norm
Old February 11th, 2008, 07:28 PM

Started fine before I put the advance in
Did you forget to tighten your distributor after you set the advance? If so, you could have moved it during the R & R. But:

........ The only thing is that I wasn't getting any pinging and the car ran great
From post #4:

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
........ Check your starter/battery/charging system.
Norm
Old February 11th, 2008, 08:27 PM

Not possible. The only way the initial setting can be changed, is by rotating the distributor.

Read post #4 again.
The position of the points (or pickup - HEI) determines the initial timing. Rotating the distributor is one way the change this. The points are mounted to a movable plate. And the vacuum advance connects to this plate. So unless the old and new vacuum advance units are identical the initial timing changed when the vacuum advance unit was changed.

Yep, sounds like you initial timing is off, too advanced I believe,
I haven't dealt with initial timing problems lately. One symptom engine spins over but doesn't want to fire/start. Holding the throttle down about 1/4 of the way will usually get it to start. The other symptom is as Redog described, slow cranking, like the starter is dragging or the battery is low. Both these symptom occur when the engine is warmed up. Hence the term "Hot start" problem, warm might be a better term. "Cold start" problems are different, but Redog doesn't mention those symptoms.

Can't remember if Redog's problem is too advanced or too retarded. But if the initial timing is retarded it would explain the lack of "pinging".

Redog, set your timing, charge your battery and see if the problem is still there. (When the engine warms up)

Don
Old February 11th, 2008, 10:24 PM

........ So unless the old and new vacuum advance units are identical the initial timing changed when the vacuum advance unit was changed ........
You are correct.

........ engine spins over but doesn't want to fire/start. Holding the throttle down about 1/4 of the way will usually get it to start ........
Flooding/over rich mixture, not advanced or retarded. Late fire will cause an easy start, and a lack of power.

........ slow cranking, like the starter is dragging or the battery is low ........
Nothing to do with timing. When the fire occurs early, the starter cranks normally (not slow or dragging) until the engine stops abruptly.

........ Both these symptom occur when the engine is warmed up ........
From post #1

........ got it up on the stands. Changed the oil (I used all 10w-30 conventional, 3 quarts of Shell, and 2 quarts of Quaker State) and after I was done I started the car and the crank was weak, very weak like it wasn't going to start. It did start though. The water temp was at 170* or so ........
Unless he accomplished his oil change in 2 or three minutes, it doesn't fit your diagnosis.

........ Can't remember if Redog's problem is too advanced or too retarded ........

Norm
      Old February 12th, 2008, 07:14 PM

The car had a weak crank, but I remembered while talking to my buddy about it, I left the door open a crack during the oil change. That was Sunday, I started it last night when I came home from work (12:30 Tuesday) good crank and fired right up, but I turned it off because I wasn't go to try anything at that time.

Got an inch of snow today and freezing rain now, going to rain all day tomorrow, so I'll play right the timing later