Vacuum hose replacement help?

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2010, 11:15 PM

Vacuum hose replacement help?

replacing vacuum hoses on 1983 oldsmobile delta 88 5.0 307 V8 if you know what sizes and how many feet of what size would be great thanks and have a great day o and if you got a diagram that would be great thank
Old December 1st, 2010, 11:41 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

The diagram is on the fan shroud sticker.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:50 AM
Oldsdruid

Miles and miles of it...

Best thing is to cut a short (1/2" or so) piece off each one and match it up at the parts store. That gives you enough slack to put them back on whatever they came off of until you can get the new tubes made up and installed.

I used to buy 50' rolls of the stuff, just to avoid the aggravation of having to go after it- because the parts store was usually out of the size I needed.

Keep in mind that GM often used oddball sizes on their vacuum tubing- sizes that no parts store in the universe normally stocks. Like those 9/32" hex head screws they like to use on dashboards...
Old December 2nd, 2010, 07:24 AM

The size you will use the most of is 5/32" vacuum hose. Possibly some 7/32" hose too. Get yourself 5 or 6 feet of the 5/32" hose. It is cheap. There will probably also be some 3/8" fuel evap hose, and possibly some 1/4" fuel evap hose. These will go from the engine to the fuel Evap cannister on the inner fender. If the hose is in between these sizes it is 5/16" fuel evap. The PCV hose is most likely 11/32" PCV hose. Most auto parts stores do not stock this hose. You can use 3/8" fuel evap hose but it is usually designed for fuel and water, not oil, so will break down more quickly. Remember, the hose is measured by the inside diameter of the hose. Also, when you go to remove the old hoses, do not try to pull them off. Most likely you will break off plastic hose nipples on expensive and hard to find ported vacuum switches, vacuum solenoids and the charcoal evap canister. Best way is to take a razor blade and gently slice the hose lengthwise where it goes over the nipple of the fitting. Do it in more than one place on the hose if needed. Then take a small flat blade screwdriver and PUSH the end of the hose off the nipple. Push it straight off not to the side, and not too much pressure. If it is stuck, cut more off with the razor blade first. Plastic hose connections on hot engines get very brittle as do old hoses. Don't be surprised if you break a thing or two. No matter how careful you are, sometimes this is unavoidable. If the under hood label is not there, & someone has previously messed with the hose routing, you will need the vacuum routing diagram for your car and specific engine. There are usually more than one combination for the same year and sometimes same engine ie Cal emissions or Federal.
Good luck and be patient change one hose at a time so you do not mix them up. It helps to have needle nose pliers handy to reconnect the hoses in tight spots. I also use wet silicone lube to make them slide on easily. 3M sells it the can has a red label.

Last edited by goodkarmech; December 2nd, 2010 at 07:30 AM.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:37 PM

I remember my Delta had 3 different sizes of vaccum hoses on it.

I would just do what Rockerradier said, if the sticker isn't on the fan shroud like Jay said