Tech Editor's Desk Projects, papers, writings, thoughts, musings of our technical editor Joe Padavano. To begin with, he will be making threads and can approve posts to it if he wishes. This can be changed in the future if it does not work out well.

1961 Olds 98 Holiday 394

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2011, 10:22 AM

1961 Olds 98 Holiday 394

Hello everyone, my first post.
My father gave to me my grandmothers 1961 Olds 98 Holiday. 46000 original miles, interior is immaculate...no cracks, rips or tears anywhere. Everything on the body is still pretty much original...shocks, exhaust system, paint, spare, etc. BUT, my dad had a friend rebuild the engine because it had set so long and here is where the problem is. He threw away all the original hose clamps, the original fuel filter setup, painted the engine the wrong color - didn't take the fuel pump off to do it, so it is painted ford red also, painted the CARB!!! silver, put an electric choke on it, put red heater hoses on it, etc. I could go on but you get the picture. Would anyone have a picture of how this 394 Sky Rocket is supposed to look, especially the fuel filter setup and placement. Is this glass bowl fuel filter clamped to the oil filler tube or is it at the fuel pump. This 98 does have the deluxe heater, but it does not have AC.

thank you for any help you could give.
Old February 20th, 2011, 11:01 AM

Welcome
I have a 64 88 w/ 394. I am always looking for photos of my engine. Google "61-64 olds 98 for sale" or google "61-64 olds 394 photos" You will find a bunch of photos. My fuel filter bowl was attached to the fuel pump originally. I kept the bowl but moved the fuel filter up the line to just short of the carb. I did this to make it easier to change. I am replacing the fuel pump this spring due to it being a POS. I have an electric fuel pump also but added it to help with the bad fuel pump. I may or may not keep the electric pump. You can easily find correct engine color with a little research and help with this great group. I get all my engine paints from TCP Global.Com and AutoColor Library.com.
Both have great web pages for you to look at color samples.TCP also has rust prevent sprays,interior paint and trunk splatter paint. Check out "Dr. Decal.com" for engine compartment and trunk decals. They are well priced and quick on delivery
Send some photos and good luck.
Old February 20th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Oldsdruid

www.fusick.com for the hose clamps and reproduction radiator/heater hoses.

The Ford Red is close enough to high-compression Olds Red that most folks won't notice the difference once you get things cleaned up and detailed.

I'm thinking 61-62 high-compression 4-barrel engines (SkyRocket and Starfire) had the filter clamped to the filler tube. 63-64 moved to the fuel pump outlet.

Not taking away from here, but visit www.aaca.org forums. There are several 61-64 big car guys over there who can answer your questions. Go to the Olds Forums and look for starfireelvis, dlh61olds (who visits here sometimes) and Oldsfan. They know the 61-62 fullsize car inside out.

You already have your 1961 Olds Chassis Manual? if not, that should be your next priority.
Old February 20th, 2011, 11:53 AM

Thumbs up

WELCOME TO CO!!! Sounds like a VERY NEAT Family Inheritance! CONGRATS! UNDERSTAND you wanting to get the engine back to how it SHOULD look! Good luck w/ that -- I'm sure the folks here will get you on track; though I admire those Ninety-Eights of that era; unfortunately I don't know much about them.... Good luck as I said and HOPE you get many enjoyable miles and years out of it in the future!
Originally Posted by 1961Olds98Holiday
Hello everyone, my first post.
My father gave to me my grandmothers 1961 Olds 98 Holiday. 46000 original miles, interior is immaculate...no cracks, rips or tears anywhere. Everything on the body is still pretty much original...shocks, exhaust system, paint, spare, etc. BUT, my dad had a friend rebuild the engine because it had set so long and here is where the problem is. He threw away all the original hose clamps, the original fuel filter setup, painted the engine the wrong color - didn't take the fuel pump off to do it, so it is painted ford red also, painted the CARB!!! silver, put an electric choke on it, put red heater hoses on it, etc. I could go on but you get the picture. Would anyone have a picture of how this 394 Sky Rocket is supposed to look, especially the fuel filter setup and placement. Is this glass bowl fuel filter clamped to the oil filler tube or is it at the fuel pump. This 98 does have the deluxe heater, but it does not have AC.

thank you for any help you could give.
Old February 21st, 2011, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by navvet
Welcome
I have a 64 88 w/ 394. I am always looking for photos of my engine. Google "61-64 olds 98 for sale" or google "61-64 olds 394 photos" You will find a bunch of photos. My fuel filter bowl was attached to the fuel pump originally. I kept the bowl but moved the fuel filter up the line to just short of the carb. I did this to make it easier to change. I am replacing the fuel pump this spring due to it being a POS. I have an electric fuel pump also but added it to help with the bad fuel pump. I may or may not keep the electric pump. You can easily find correct engine color with a little research and help with this great group. I get all my engine paints from TCP Global.Com and AutoColor Library.com.
Both have great web pages for you to look at color samples.TCP also has rust prevent sprays,interior paint and trunk splatter paint. Check out "Dr. Decal.com" for engine compartment and trunk decals. They are well priced and quick on delivery
Send some photos and good luck.
Thanks Navvet! I appreciate your help. I will be posting pics this weekend.
Old February 21st, 2011, 04:29 PM

Thank you very much rocketraider, very good help. I have been in touch with Fusick for the clamps and the wheel cover clips. I know the Ford red is very close, but I hate the thought of having anything Ford on my vehicles. I'm pulling the engine in the next week or two to rectify that, it's got to be pulled anyway to clean and polish everything under the hood. I'm not restoring this car, I'm preserving it. I may change my mind about the paint, it's just irritating that my Sky Rocket is Ford red. Thanks also for the link to the other forum.
Old February 21st, 2011, 04:29 PM

Thanks Nortown, I will be posting some pics of this beauty!!
Old February 22nd, 2011, 09:57 AM

Welcome to CO! Can't help on your car, but excellent story!!!!! Good luck on your original Oldsmobile!