66 Toro radiator core support

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2006, 01:36 PM

66 Toro radiator core support

Hi there! Being new to this forum, let me introduce myself. My name is Mick, and I live in Amsterdam,the Netherlands. I just bought the car I've always wanted, a 1966 Toronado deluxe. It is in very good condition, but needs work to the area under the battery tray. I think what I'm looking at there is a point where the body mounts on the chassis (or crossmember/radiator core support?). It looks like a rubber donut with a big bolt through it. The area around it is in need of rust repairs, and I need some advise on how to proceed. Should I dismantle the complete frontsection/nose of the car to remove the brace for repairs? And I've been looking around, but can't find a radiator support kit (the bolts/rubber donuts etc.) for the 66 Toronado.
Any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks, Mick
Old December 2nd, 2006, 01:41 PM

Thanks! Great forum....
Anyway, does anyone know what happened to the site/club devoted to the Toronado? There used to be a site toronado.org but it seems to be dead. Also, is the Toronado chapter of the Oldsmobile club of America still active? Does anyone have a contact? Thanks, Mick
Old December 2nd, 2006, 06:54 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

www.toronado.org is up and working well. You can contact the Toronado Chapter President, Ralph Braun, at desb35@tctelco.net

Oldsmobile Club of America www.oldsclub.org

I know you said you are in the Netherlands, but maybe these guys can help you, too:
Oldsmobile Club of Sweden www.svenskaoldsmobileklubben.se
Oldsmobile Club of Finland www.oldsmobile.fi

Glad to have you here! My wife was quite taken with the classic styling of the 66 Toros at the OCA Nationals in Dallas, Texas this year. I think I may be able to talk her into one...after I finish my Cutlass!

C.J.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 03:29 AM

Hi C.J.!
Thanks for the kind reply. The toronado.org site still seems to be down, can't get it to open....
I have owned my 1966 Toronado now for about 4 months. I've been doing quite some work on it myself, one of the projects being the overhaul/rebuilding of the headlight vacuum actuators. RT Engineering sells a nice kit with new springs, SS pistonshaft and special springs to seat the rubber piston.
The radiator core support problem is being tackled by a shop that did the welding/repairs to the support. It involved dismantling the complete front of my car i.e. the bumper,grille,radiator,headlights, core support etc.
In the proces I fabricated a new splash apron that I will fit when it all goes back together.
The result should be nice!
Kind regards, Mick