Back In The Olds Game!

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2020, 06:26 AM

Back In The Olds Game!

Hello Everyone,

I have had many Oldsmobiles over the years, but it has been 10 years since my last one.

As a transporter of Classics, Exotics & Hot Rods, once in a while something unforeseen happens & I lose a transport. After delivering to Northern Cal from Indy, reloading there & delivering to Elko, Nv I found myself without something coming back to Ohio. Since this only happens a couple of times a year, I normally just go home empty & get ready for the next transport. In this case I had been surfing the Facebook Marketplace & this 1967 Toronado caught my eye, so I kept the info with me & since it was only 200 miles north of where I was at, I called the gentleman. He sent more pictures & I was shocked at just how clean this car was. The High Desert cars (Southern Idaho in this case) are amazingly clean. The floor, frame & body are 95% rust free! I took it for a ride, runs & drives good.

Anxious to get started on it but have several others in the process of being built. Since it is mostly original paint & straight as an arrow, I might get it apart, strip it & paint it ahead of one or two of the others, then let it sit while I finish the others. I have looked at a couple of pictures of finished cars in Bimini Blue & can't decide if I want to keep it all blue or put a white vinyl top on it. Both look great!

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...closed.614419/

Last edited by Bill's Auto Works; October 31st, 2020 at 06:28 AM.
Old October 31st, 2020, 07:43 AM
72 Olds CS

Car looks good and mostly complete bill, hows the interior?

nice score.
Old October 31st, 2020, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
Car looks good and mostly complete bill, hows the interior?

nice score.
Thank you!.

The interior is rough! It will need carpet, seats redone & a headliner. I also noticed one of the door panel trip pieces is missing. I will take some more pictures in a day or two. It is still inside the enclosed trailer, I have been lazy for the last two days since I have been back. It is very complete & seems to run & drive very well!

God Bless
Bill

Old October 31st, 2020, 09:00 AM
Oldsdruid

1st gen Toronado were never meant to have a vinyl roof but GM caved to market pressure and offered it starting 1967. The 67 design and mouldings always made the car look like the VT was an afterthought.

If you put a VT on this one, get mouldings from a 69. They have a more "finished" look than 67 and will be easier than the 68 and 70 "halo" mouldings.

But the best thing is just to leave it off!🙂
Old October 31st, 2020, 01:02 PM

Thank you for the info on the top & moldings. I do get it, the top cuts up the flow of the lines of the car. I googled "images of 67 Toro" & copied 1 with & 1 without so I can ponder it.

God Bless
Bill
Old November 2nd, 2020, 06:25 AM

Nice patina....oil her up!
Old November 2nd, 2020, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by 1970W34
Nice patina....oil her up!

Sorry Not Me!

As someone who does restorations & custom paint, even my winter beater has nice paint! When I see a car for sale that says "Nice Patina" I read that as Needs Paint! LOL I have already removed the lower chrome & will be pulling the bumpers, grill, emblems, etc later today before it gets a major pressure wash & engine degrease tomorrow or Wednesday. Then stripped to bare metal!!!!

Too each his own though!

God Bless
Bill
Old November 3rd, 2020, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bill's Auto Works
Sorry Not Me!

As someone who does restorations & custom paint, even my winter beater has nice paint! When I see a car for sale that says "Nice Patina" I read that as Needs Paint! LOL I have already removed the lower chrome & will be pulling the bumpers, grill, emblems, etc later today before it gets a major pressure wash & engine degrease tomorrow or Wednesday. Then stripped to bare metal!!!!

Too each his own though!

God Bless
Bill
Ahh I understand, have had both sorts of rides......but that first big scratch on the shiny paint just breaks my heart EVERY TIME!
Old November 10th, 2020, 02:11 PM

The weather has been great here in Northern Ohio this week & I am grateful to be home. I wasn't going to start on this one right away, but changed my mind. Here are a few pictures of my progress. De-greased the engine compartment, de-chromed the body & stripped the paint + one of the underside, it is really clean!

God Bless
Bill

Old November 11th, 2020, 04:15 AM

Nice find!! Love the old Toros! That's a clean car!!!
Old December 9th, 2020, 03:35 PM

I figured I would update my progress on the 67 Toro I picked up out of Idaho @ the end of October. It is gutted of interior, glass & obviously all chrome. I shot it 2 days ago with 3 coats of high build epoxy, so now it will sit for a while as I want to get some work done on a couple of others, as well as some updates to the building.

I have been spending like a drunken sailor for parts lately! I have new windshield, carpet, headliner, all new rubbers, emblems. The paint & clear also arrived yesterday. Scored a tilt/tele column, a perfect pair of tail light lenses & an NOS set of center caps for the wheels ( those I just won last night) All on Ebay

Here are a few more pictures. The last one is what I bought during my paint companies once a year 30% off sale to restock & try some new stuff. Anyone dissatisfied with the big companies, I can highly recommend Tamco Paints out of Virginia. A family run company since the 70's with amazing customer service, higher quality paints than the big companies & lower prices. They have candies, pearls, flakes as well as restoration & production colors. They also cater to the high end air brush artists & us custom painters.

Some may notice, there are some body parts getting primered that are not from the Toro as I have 3 in progress at the moment.

God Bless
Bill

Last edited by Bill's Auto Works; December 9th, 2020 at 03:55 PM.
Old December 9th, 2020, 03:58 PM

You are a BUSY Man!! Awesome!
Old December 9th, 2020, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by BackInTheGame
You are a BUSY Man!! Awesome!

Thank you Sir,

I am heavily addicted to the hobby By the way....I hope I don't have to pay you royalties for unintentionally infringing on your name for my thread title!!

God bless
Bill
Old January 2nd, 2021, 09:09 AM

My progress on the Toro had slowed for a while as I was updating my clean air intake to the paint room as well as some other updates to the building, not to mention Christmas parties & family stuff. I am now doing a whole bunch of block sanding so that it will be laser straight, these are the days I wish my choices in cars were a bit on the smaller side! LOL

I did shoot the wheels & the underside of the deck lid. The picture does not do the color (Bimini Blue from Tamco) justice. It really "pops" outside.

Getting a bit concerned as I won a set of NOS center caps on Ebay a while back & because of the ineptness of the USPS, I have not had an update since Dec 14th!

God bless & Happy New Year Everyone
Bill
Old January 2nd, 2021, 09:31 AM

That color looks awesome!!! My '68 442 is code K ocean turquoise (aqua-marine in '67)& I love it but I never realized how much brighter the code F bimini-blue is. Beautiful! Can't wait to see the whole car painted!!
Old January 2nd, 2021, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by rob1960
That color looks awesome!!! My '68 442 is code K ocean turquoise (aqua-marine in '67)& I love it but I never realized how much brighter the code F bimini-blue is. Beautiful! Can't wait to see the whole car painted!!

Thank you Rob,

I looked at your album & your color is perfect with the 442 black stripe! It is funny how they switch around the names of colors haphazardly! Here is a picture of my 64 GP that I shot last year. The color is called "Aquamarine Poly" ....Quite a bit different than the 1967 Aquamarine!

God Bless
Bill

Last edited by Bill's Auto Works; January 2nd, 2021 at 12:36 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2021, 09:47 AM

A couple things ----
I envy you for your shop as well as your apparent skills.
I love the color - absolutely gorgeous.
I'm guessing you chose to paint wheels body color instead of original "Argent Silver" - that's okay, a matter of personal preference
I noticed earlier photo with unrestored brake drums - please use correct "Cast Iron Grey" paint, and not black or silver.
USPS has definitely been slow lately - I recently had a parcel sit in a Harrisburg facility for almost 2 weeks on it way from TN to Philadelphia

Love all the updates on your Toro - keep up the good work, and Happy 2021 ----
Old January 4th, 2021, 09:31 AM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by Bill's Auto Works

I think I'm in love 😍

I like GP's and Wildcats as well as Starfires and always thought 64 was about good as they got. Everything just worked! Turquoise is also one of my favorite colors.
Old January 5th, 2021, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by torotoyguy
A couple things ----
I envy you for your shop as well as your apparent skills.
I love the color - absolutely gorgeous.
I'm guessing you chose to paint wheels body color instead of original "Argent Silver" - that's okay, a matter of personal preference
I noticed earlier photo with unrestored brake drums - please use correct "Cast Iron Grey" paint, and not black or silver.
USPS has definitely been slow lately - I recently had a parcel sit in a Harrisburg facility for almost 2 weeks on it way from TN to Philadelphia

Love all the updates on your Toro - keep up the good work, and Happy 2021 ----
Originally Posted by rocketraider
I think I'm in love 😍

I like GP's and Wildcats as well as Starfires and always thought 64 was about good as they got. Everything just worked! Turquoise is also one of my favorite colors.

Thanks Guys,

Torotoyguy, I loved the way you prefaced you disdain for me painting the wheels with compliments! LOL I guess since I may be a bit older,(58) I have never understood the mentality of one man telling another man how to build his own car,(the brake drum comment) but no worries! I am the kind of person that cannot be offended by anything & everyone is welcome to post their opinions. The factory "cast iron grey" would probably look good behind the color keyed wheels. I probably would have just shot them black when I did the underside of the car so they didn't show. To me the factory wheels are "Butt Ugly" in Argent with the big center caps that still haven't arrived! What ever I choose to do to this car, I am not a zealot for one particular car or brand & even when this car is done it will only be worth 18-20K at best. so I am not worrying about a 100% nut & bolt resto. I have 12 cars at the moment, two of which are very low production cars (67 Marlin, 07 XLR-V) The Marlin will get an exact nut & bolt resto & anything I do to the XLR-V will be easily reversible.

Rocketraider, I see we are on several other forums together. Those big GM's of the early-mid 60's are definitely awesome & even though I love all the new & custom colors available, those colors back then are great. I am also doing a 66 Catalina Conv that is Candlelight Cream, but prefer the 64 body style more . I took your comments into consideration & since I spent about 4 solid hours of blocking the "C" pillars after skim coating them to make them perfect.....It will Not get a vinyl top! If you have seen the 67 Toro for sale for quite a while on Ebay in Bimini Blue with the white vinyl top, I really do like the looks of it though. He will NEVER get his reserve ($29,995) as far as I am concerned that is $8-10K more than the car is worth. but there is a butt for ever seat I guess!

Back to Block sanding!!!!

God Bless
Bill

Last edited by Bill's Auto Works; January 5th, 2021 at 05:42 AM.
Old January 5th, 2021, 01:36 PM

Looking good, Bill! Dang you're making some fast progress. Just joined over on this site myself now that my Delta 88 is coming back to me and nice to see another familiar face here from the V8buick world

Lucas
Old January 5th, 2021, 02:00 PM

Hey Lucas,

Thank you, having a great time being home for a needed, extended vacation & yes getting some stuff done.

Great to be on another forum together! Being that our Cadillacs' are from different worlds, I am not sure we will ever end up on one of those together. LOL

God Bless
Bill
Old January 5th, 2021, 02:14 PM

Hahahahaha.....no doubt on that. I joined a couple Caddy forums, haven't been on them a whole lot as they don't really seem to like my cars too much ....and here I thought the Buick guys were old
Old January 5th, 2021, 02:21 PM

I feel your pain Lucas.........

Cadillac guys don't like mine because it is built on a Corvette chassis & the Corvette guys don't like me because it is almost as fast as their Vettes, but rides better & I can push a button & have my roof disappear into the trunk! LMAO!!!!
Old February 3rd, 2021, 06:20 AM

Things have come to a screeching halt on my Toro as I had to get back on the road to take care of my customers, but hopefully in a week or two it will be in color & clear. Here are a few pics of just before & just after the final hand blocking, it should be laser straight by now! When I get back in town, I will give it a couple of coats of sealer to lock it down & then shoot it

The seats & door panels are at the interior guys place & the bumpers are at Tri-City Plating in Elizabethton, Tn who I highly recommend for rechroming!

God Bless
Bill

Old February 3rd, 2021, 07:25 AM

Looking good, Bill! I did buy an air cleaner off of your measurements you got for me, so just wanted to thank you again. Safe travels, post some pics if you're hauling anything cool.
Old February 3rd, 2021, 09:04 AM

Hi Bill,

Awesome work.
What do you use to strip the paint?

Thanks

Tim
Old February 3rd, 2021, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by 1972Mach1
Looking good, Bill! I did buy an air cleaner off of your measurements you got for me, so just wanted to thank you again. Safe travels, post some pics if you're hauling anything cool.
Originally Posted by tkcutlass
Hi Bill,

Awesome work.
What do you use to strip the paint?

Thanks

Tim

Thanks you Lucas & Tim!

Glad that air cleaner worked out for your car Lucas! Nothing super cool on this trip as I am using the open trailer this week. 74 Eldo conv on it right now from Colorado going to Maryland in a couple days. I took a serious sleeper out to Colorado...A Mazda Miata with a 550hp LS2 Chevy in it. You could not tell at all. 11.2 in the quarter & it holds a track record at Watkins Glen road course. The windows were tinted just enough to not see the cage!

Tim, I almost always strip cars to bare metal with my 6 inch DA sander with 80 grit discs. It takes a while, but I actually enjoy when I get to do it outside on a warm sunny day. You have to wear sunglasses though, as the reflection off the bare metal is a killer. If it is not warm outside, I have one dedicated room in the shop for the dust generating work. I probably had 18 hours in stripping this one completely.

God Bless
Bill
Old February 4th, 2021, 04:20 AM

Thanks for the update!!!
Old February 16th, 2021, 08:48 AM

Hey Bill,

What did you use over the bare metal, DTM?

I am looking at https://tamcopaint.com/collections/primers
I have a combination of bare-blasted metal and edp coated repair panels, as well as areas that need bodywork, looks like the DTA should be a good choice.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Tim
Old February 16th, 2021, 09:42 AM

Hi Tim,

Tamco is the best! I have used Dupont/Axalta & Ditzler/PPG in all their different forms since the mid 80's & they can't hold a candle to Tamco...Not to mention a way more reasonable price!

Even though I used the 771 High Build Epoxy on this one, I would recommend using the 661 Epoxy which is not high build & then using what ever color of th e5300 series high build primer, it block sands like butter. Do any bodywork on top of the epoxy before the 5300. Great thing about the 5300 is the fact that it is a TRUE DTM/DTA so if you break through to bare metal during the bodywork/blocking process, you don't have to re-Epoxy

In case anyone is wondering why I didn't recommend the 771 Epoxy I used.... it is actually overkill. It is industrial rated for underwater work & I will be using 661 in the future. In Fact Tammy has removed it from the automotive side of Tamco because it just takes too long to cure. 2 Weeks after I used it, I was still plugging 180 when I was blocking it. SO again use th e661 Epoxy with the 5300 series as your build & you can start blocking within a few hours if you chose & NO shrinking like other high build primer.

I know I sound like I work for them, but it is just because the products are just that good, I am in love with the high solids 2104 clear & their customer service is 2nd to none. When the owner gives out her own number for you to text anytime for help, you know their customers are important! If you are on FB join the Tamco 411 group.

God bless
Bill

Last edited by Bill's Auto Works; February 16th, 2021 at 09:46 AM.
Old March 19th, 2021, 10:22 AM

Finally in color & clear!

9 hours between the booth & the mixing room yesterday. This was my first complete with my new gun (Devilbiss Tekna Copper) Much better quality gun. Definitely different than the Devilbiss FinishLine gun I have shot dozens of cars with. It will take some getting used to ...Hence the little bit of "Orange Peel". Fortunately that is an easy fix, with 3 coats of high solids Tamco clear it will wet sand & buff to look like a mirror. Probably won't get much more done to it for a while. I will spend any time I have off the road finishing the engine compartment on the 64 GP. That is all that needs done to debut it at a show I like in early June.

God Bless
Bill

Old March 19th, 2021, 10:42 AM

I love a nice Toronado and love shiny paint. Looks killer.
Old March 20th, 2021, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by MichiDan
I love a nice Toronado and love shiny paint. Looks killer.

Thank You!
Old March 21st, 2021, 03:34 AM

Very nice Bill!!!!!
Old March 21st, 2021, 07:15 AM

Very nice Bill!!!!!
Thank you Rob!

Maybe sometime in the future we can park our "Blues" next to each other at a cruise or show!
Old March 21st, 2021, 09:19 AM

Bill, Do you go the all Olds show in Alliance(now moved to Youngstown)??? I missed the last couple of years & I really want to go this year. Maybe I'll take a ride your way when the weather gets nicer, you're only about 40 miles from me. I'd love to see both the Toro & your '64 GP!! I am looking for someone to paint my 442 after I retire next year & you sure do nice work!!
Old March 21st, 2021, 09:35 AM

Bill, Do you go the all Olds show in Alliance(now moved to Youngstown)??? I missed the last couple of years & I really want to go this year. Maybe I'll take a ride your way when the weather gets nicer, you're only about 40 miles from me. I'd love to see both the Toro & your '64 GP!! I am looking for someone to paint my 442 after I retire next year & you sure do nice work!!

Rob
No I have not been to the Olds Shows. Even though I have owned lots & lots of them, the Toro is the 1st one I have had in probably 10 years. Would love to have you come out, but I honestly don't have time to do customers cars anymore. The last resto I did for a customer went way over time deadline, because of my transport business keeping me on the road all the time & I just don't like to be on the road worrying about a customers car in the shop. Starting mid week I have 2 round trips out the the West Coast & back to the East Coast, so work on ANY of them won't happen for a while

Most of the shows & cruises I go to are western & southern suburbs of Cleveland & some out this way, but I like to go to any I can if I am in town!
Old April 11th, 2021, 10:36 AM

Shiny pieces supplied by Tri-City Plating in Elizabethton, Tn! I highly recommend them for your bumper re-chroming, they also have about 5 acres of bumper cores if yours is too far gone! These are probably #s 7 & 8 they have done for me. Ask for Chip, tell him Bill from Bill's Auto Works sent you!

I am finished with wet sanding & buffing all the parts shot off the car, but I knew this color would not "Picture Well" in the sun. Next is remove the exhaust, scrub & pressure wash the underside, then shoot it chassis black before I wet sand & buff the shell itself.

God bless
Bill

Last edited by Bill's Auto Works; April 11th, 2021 at 10:41 AM.
Old April 11th, 2021, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Awesome color, nice work!