cruise control and heat/AC system vacuum sources

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2018, 03:38 PM

Thanks for the info. I don't know when I'll get around to dealing with the A/C in my car.

Don't worry about hijacking the thread. My original questions in starting it have all been dealt with. If it takes a new direction, great.
Old July 3rd, 2023, 05:16 AM

I was just reading your post while looking online to find out what size vacuum hoses I needed and it gave me a headache just thinking about doing what you had to do, fortunately I don't need to do that but I do need to replace my antenna and just a glance at it that is a pita. Getting ready to work on the a/c.
Old July 3rd, 2023, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by dennisspeaks
I do need to replace my antenna and just a glance at it that is a pita.
Getting at the antenna (in the fender) is no picnic at all. Jack up the right front. Remove the wheel. Then cut a three-sided opening in the top of the inner fender and fold it back to reveal a world of wonders. OK, not that, but you now have access to the antenna and the A/C blower motor. If there is any question about the condition of the blower motor, you might replace that as well while you have the fender opened so you have to do this job only once. At least check it and make sure it isn't clogged with leaves and/or mouse debris as mine was on my '78.

The procedure for getting at the antenna is described on page 1B-98 of the 1977 Olds Chassis Service Manual. It's in the heating/cooling section where getting at the blower motor is described. There are actually raised, embossed line in the fender showing where to cut. The manual also describes patching the cut-out back together.
Old July 3rd, 2023, 11:10 AM

Thanks Jaunty75, GM couldn't have made this more of a pain than they did, what were they thinking... well obviously they were not. My fan works good but as you said it's a good idea to check it out while in there, I'm all about doing things one time. I do have both service manuals but probably won't get to it till all the other cars are done. These cars are quite fun to drive, I am going to paint mine over the winter, it's one of my keepers and when I want to drive something different and unique it will be it.

Thanks for the info.