Inspection findings on my 66' Toronado - could use some advice

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2023, 05:15 AM

Inspection findings on my 66' Toronado - could use some advice

Good day all,

As a huge newbie to all this, I could certainly use some advice. In my Province in Canada, I have to get an inspection done to get my antique plates. For the past year, I have been fixing everything I could find that was broken or worn out on my car when I got it and I thought it was somewhat ready for the inspection. I took it down yesterday, knowing they would probably find a few things that needed fixing......which was fine as I really enjoy doing the repairs.

Anyway, they wrote up quite a few items and a couple were pretty disappointing. First, they wrote up all 4 wheel bearings. I don't mind the rear ones too much as they shouldn't be too difficult but those two in the front? I dunno, I'd be surprised if they are actually bad. I didn't hear a thing when I drove it. In any case, those big ol' front wheel bearings seem to be available on Rockauto, surprisingly. The PN stamped on the side of the RA bearing matches what I found as the right one, 907770. Anyone used these? Are they decent? They wrote up the LH lower ball joint so maybe it would be a good time to also do that bearing? Is this a massive job? I do have some excellent tools for this stuff (Astro hub remover and wheel bearing removal kit) so hopefully I can use that here.

The next thing I have to look into is the idler arm. They're right, it's worn out and needs to be replaced. Joe P. provided me with some excellent info on this on another site but we're still not sure if a 67' idler arm will directly slot in on a 66'. Every picture I have found of the 66' idler arm looks identical to the 67' but we simply cannot be positive if it is acceptable. Anyone ever had to replace theirs on a 66'? What did you use? It's not on Rockauto. It is on O'Rielly's site but not in stock.

They wrote up the sway bar link bushings, which shouldn't be a problem and also a RH CV boot.....also, I can deal with that.

The last, and most infuriating finding, was that they wrote up the rear left quarter panel for having a rust hole in the bottom of it. It's like, yeah......it's a damn 50+ year old car, there's going to be the odd rust hole. I don't see what that little hole has anything to do with the road-worthiness of the car. Anyway, that's an issue for another time.

So yeah, looking for advice on that idler arm and the front wheel bearings. Thanks again guys!
Old June 2nd, 2023, 05:34 AM

That's a bummer that they wrote up so many items on your Oldsmobile. I suggest you check out Kanter for hard to find replacement parts.

https://www.kanter.com/

Since they indicated your front wheel bearings are bad, do you have to replace them, or can you disassemble, clean & repack them since they're still good?

To fix the rust I suggest cutting a piece of metal slightly larger than the rust hole. After grinding back the rust weld the metal to the backside of the fender. Then fill the fender with fiber fill.

I'm glad they don't do inspections in OK... yet. Can you register your Toronado normally without an inspection?

Old June 3rd, 2023, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
That's a bummer that they wrote up so many items on your Oldsmobile. I suggest you check out Kanter for hard to find replacement parts.

https://www.kanter.com/

Since they indicated your front wheel bearings are bad, do you have to replace them, or can you disassemble, clean & repack them since they're still good?

To fix the rust I suggest cutting a piece of metal slightly larger than the rust hole. After grinding back the rust weld the metal to the backside of the fender. Then fill the fender with fiber fill.

I'm glad they don't do inspections in OK... yet. Can you register your Toronado normally without an inspection?
No the front wheel bearings are sealed units and are massive. Severely overbuilt for the application but that's all good. They're quite expensive from some retailers, such as Fusick, who want well over $200 each. Everyone loves to mention that they're the same style ones they used in the GMC Motorhome so yeah, they're pretty beefy. They're not the type of bearing you can re-pack and be on your way, unfortunately.
Old June 3rd, 2023, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by ourkid2000
No the front wheel bearings are sealed units and are massive. Severely overbuilt for the application but that's all good. They're quite expensive from some retailers, such as Fusick, who want well over $200 each. Everyone loves to mention that they're the same style ones they used in the GMC Motorhome so yeah, they're pretty beefy. They're not the type of bearing you can re-pack and be on your way, unfortunately.
I think I got a pair from Kanter, several years ago.
Old June 4th, 2023, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
I think I got a pair from Kanter, several years ago.
So how did the job go? Was it a pain?

I was wondering how the bearing tends to come out when you pull the hub? Does it tend to leave the inner race on the hub or does the whole thing come out together?
Old June 4th, 2023, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by ourkid2000
So how did the job go? Was it a pain?

I was wondering how the bearing tends to come out when you pull the hub? Does it tend to leave the inner race on the hub or does the whole thing come out together?
I don't remember if they got used. I realized I had a bigger problem with the transmission leaking and that took priority.
PM a member "Jaunty" and he could help you on this a lot better than I can.
Old June 6th, 2023, 01:42 PM

The whole bearing comes out with the hub, using a slide-hammer to "convince" it to come out. Then you would have the problematic bearing pressed off the hub, and the new one pressed on. Hopefully the bearing isn't rusted/frozen in place in the knuckle - use lots of penetrating oil.
Old June 6th, 2023, 02:02 PM

First I'd suggest doing some diagnostics to see if there's indications that the bearings are bad. A lack of noise while driving isn't really an indicator that they're good.

Is the inspection facility a government run entity or do you use a local mechanic/shop certified to perform the inspection? If the latter, check with the classic car crowd in your area for 'friendly" inspection facilities. Often shops that aren't familiar with the older cars write things up as issues when there isn't really a need. No certified shop will give you a free pass, but the knowledgeable ones usually won't cause unnecessary grief.

A friend had his 1965 VW Bug inspected at a local national chain's shop a few years ago (in BC), and one of the items it failed one was a lack of VIN plate. That vintage didn't have the dashboard VIN tag like many other cars, but the factory installed tag is under the hood behind the spare tire, and this car's was right where it belonged. The right inspector can make all the difference in the world.

Good luck with yours!
Old June 10th, 2023, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by VI Cutty
First I'd suggest doing some diagnostics to see if there's indications that the bearings are bad. A lack of noise while driving isn't really an indicator that they're good.

Is the inspection facility a government run entity or do you use a local mechanic/shop certified to perform the inspection? If the latter, check with the classic car crowd in your area for 'friendly" inspection facilities. Often shops that aren't familiar with the older cars write things up as issues when there isn't really a need. No certified shop will give you a free pass, but the knowledgeable ones usually won't cause unnecessary grief.

A friend had his 1965 VW Bug inspected at a local national chain's shop a few years ago (in BC), and one of the items it failed one was a lack of VIN plate. That vintage didn't have the dashboard VIN tag like many other cars, but the factory installed tag is under the hood behind the spare tire, and this car's was right where it belonged. The right inspector can make all the difference in the world.

Good luck with yours!
Hi, yeah it was my local service shop that did the inspection. I could tell that things weren't going to go well when they just looked at the car as if it was any other car when I arrived. No one there, even the older fellas, were even slightly interested in an original 66' Toronado. Couldn't care less.

I've learned my lesson. I'm currently repairing all their findings (minus the rust hole) and will talk with the local antique clubs about inspections. Thanks everyone!
Old June 10th, 2023, 10:37 PM

Sorry to hear you got dinged on the inspection, but one thing to smile about is that if you solve the things they pointed out, the car will be safer, more reliable & road-ready. That’s probably where you want it anyway.

As much of a pain as it is, you & your passengers will wind up better off.

Generally not a fan of bureaucracy, but there are sometimes some upsides.

Chris
Old June 11th, 2023, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by cfair
Sorry to hear you got dinged on the inspection, but one thing to smile about is that if you solve the things they pointed out, the car will be safer, more reliable & road-ready. That’s probably where you want it anyway.

As much of a pain as it is, you & your passengers will wind up better off.

Generally not a fan of bureaucracy, but there are sometimes some upsides.

Chris
Yeah for sure. I knew full well they would find some issues and that was part of the reason I wanted them to look at it. There's only so much stuff I could find myself working off my garage floor and not being a professional. All the mechanical findings is fine by me, and easy enough to rectify. I really enjoy doing the work and learning a bunch of stuff along the way.

The bodywork stuff, however......really not my specialty and I wouldn't dare tackle it myself. It really annoyed me because the amount of F150's going around here with rusty ol' boxes (pretty much all of them) are getting inspections completed no problem and they fail my classic 57 year old car for a little hole in the bottom of the quarter panel.