1955 olds hydromatic question

Search this Thread

Old April 24th, 2024, 05:02 PM

1955 olds hydromatic question

Hey guys I’m new to Oldsmobiles, with this being my first one. It’s a 1955 olds 98. I just picked it up, but it’s leaking a lot of trans fluid. I just pulled the hydromatic trans out to reseal it, it’s leaking from the front main seal, and also the rear tail shaft seal.

I got a few questions regarding. I did buy a manual for the 55 but I know there’s a wealth of knowledge here and was hoping for some help.

first off when I got the trans out the rear of the torus cover seems to be really loose inside the bell housing, the retainer nut is there and tight as should be but the cover just kinda floats around is that normal?

second is I know the rear seal goes in from the inside of the tail shaft from the reach I’ve done, once I pull the six hex bolts out holding on the tail shaft, is the anti have to worry about inside the tail shaft, springs or detents or anything. Or is it just pull the tail shaft and throw a seal at it?

im pretty mechanical and good with a wrench, just new to these cars. I’m gonna try and post a video of the torus cover hopefully it works.

thanks I’m advanced to any and all help!

Last edited by ICKsteve; April 25th, 2024 at 01:43 PM.
Old April 28th, 2024, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by ICKsteve
Hey guys I’m new to Oldsmobiles, with this being my first one. It’s a 1955 olds 98. I just picked it up, but it’s leaking a lot of trans fluid. I just pulled the hydromatic trans out to reseal it, it’s leaking from the front main seal, and also the rear tail shaft seal.

I got a few questions regarding. I did buy a manual for the 55 but I know there’s a wealth of knowledge here and was hoping for some help.

first off when I got the trans out the rear of the torus cover seems to be really loose inside the bell housing, the retainer nut is there and tight as should be but the cover just kinda floats around is that normal?

second is I know the rear seal goes in from the inside of the tail shaft from the reach I’ve done, once I pull the six hex bolts out holding on the tail shaft, is the anti have to worry about inside the tail shaft, springs or detents or anything. Or is it just pull the tail shaft and throw a seal at it?

im pretty mechanical and good with a wrench, just new to these cars. I’m gonna try and post a video of the torus cover hopefully it works.

thanks I’m advanced to any and all help!
The torus cover is loose like that on all 40-56 single coupling hydramatics. The rear driveshaft seal is installed with the rear shaft in place. Use a pipe nipple that is long enough and has a diameter that is same as the seal's outside diameter.
Old April 29th, 2024, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by d2_willys
The torus cover is loose like that on all 40-56 single coupling hydramatics. The rear driveshaft seal is installed with the rear shaft in place. Use a pipe nipple that is long enough and has a diameter that is same as the seal's outside diameter.

thank you!