1966 oldsmobile cutlass kickdown wiring

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2024, 09:11 AM

1966 oldsmobile cutlass kickdown wiring

Hello i am sander
i am in need for some help with my olds transmission. My kickdown does not work. I was looking online and found out that my kickdown switch was not connected. I can't figure out how it works with the wiring. I found a plug on the drivers side of the transmission. (see foto). Does it need to be connected there?
car is a cutlass supreme build in 1966 in antwerp for the European market.
330 cu.
I am not sure what transmission is in it but i made a picture of the id plate on the trans.

If anyone can help me that would be mutch appreciated. ( sorry if my english is a bit bad i am dutch, english is not my native language)

Kickdown electrical switch on throttle linkage

Plug on driver side transmission

Turbo hydramatic?

Build plate car

Old March 19th, 2024, 11:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

Your transmission is a 1980s vintage 200-4R, which is why the kickdown isn't connected - there isn't one. The 200-4R uses a throttle valve cable that needs to be connected to the throttle linkage to operate. That electrical connector on the trans is for the torque converter lockup, which normally is controlled by the computer in the original application. If the TV cable is not connected you should not really drive the car, as this will eventually damage the transmission. Whoever did this trans swap either didn't know what they were doing or knowingly dumped the car without finishing the swap. By the way, that KC F code on the yellow tag shows that this trans came late 80's Cadillac Fleetwood with an Olds 307. The original trans in your car would have been the Jetaway two speed automatic with switch pitch torque converter. That round switch on the accelerator linkage doesn't have any function with this trans swap.
Old March 20th, 2024, 02:06 AM

Thanks for the info
I was looking at the throttle/carb setup and i did notich de cable u where talking about. The car shifts perfectly. The only thing it does not do is shift down when i punch the throttle to the floor. (WOT)
i have been driving the car for about 2 years like this and have done about 16000km like this (10000miles) so i dont think it was installeren badly. Is there some adjustment to be made to fix the kickdown ? Due i need to adjusted the tv cable?

The tv cable
Old March 20th, 2024, 02:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

That cable also controls the kickdown in addition to controlling line pressure in the trans as a function of throttle position. Getting this geometry correct is the most difficult part of installing a 200-4R.

https://static.summitracing.com/glob...sum-700700.pdf
Old April 17th, 2024, 12:34 AM

Can anyone geven me some advice? Car still does not downshift at WOT. TV cable is set up correctly i think. Car shifts at about 3000rpm if u go slow or if i go WOT. Car drives just fine for cruising around. Goes in to all 4 the gears without a problem. Just no downkick/downshift.