200r4 another question!

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2013, 08:52 AM

200r4 another question!

Gents, I am getting down to the nitty gritty of finishing the transmission installation... I have a couple of questions for those that have been there and done that. (72 cutlass convertible with 350 (bored and stroked) and convert from th350 to 200r4)

The mechanical stuff is complete, just need to get the wiring done....

What do you do with the kickdown switch connector that was used on the TH350?

Where did you pull off the 12v power on yours for the lock up?

I figured if I put this under electrical, most of the guys that have actually done this would not see it.... yeah I skip over most of the electrical questions too!

Thanks!
Dave

Last edited by kitfoxdave; September 1st, 2013 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Oops forgot car info...
Old September 1st, 2013, 09:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by kitfoxdave
What do you do with the kickdown switch connector that was used on the TH350?
Uh...

The TH350 uses a cable kickdown. There is no switch for kickdown. There IS, however, a connector for the third gear pressure switch that was part of the Transmission Controlled Spark system on early 1970s cars. Your 200-4R does not have the appropriate pressure switch for this, and frankly, I doubt you want to use it. If it's still connected on your engine, I suggest you bypass it and retune your distributor to run straight manifold vacuum.
Old September 1st, 2013, 09:57 AM

Sorry Joe, I meant to say downshift switch (from the wiring diagram in the chassis service manual) The new distributor will be set up for manifold vacuum only.

I already got rid of the kickdown cable.

I'll just bundle up that end of the harness with the connector intact, just in case I ever need to switch back to the TH350...

Thanks!
Old September 1st, 2013, 10:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by kitfoxdave
Sorry Joe, I meant to say downshift switch (from the wiring diagram in the chassis service manual) The new distributor will be set up for manifold vacuum only.
Dave,

Just so we're completely clear, the TH350 does not use an electric downshift/kickdown. The wire you are talking about was for the TCS sensor only. Olds used the same harness for TH400 and TH350 cars, so the second wire for the TH400 electric kickdown is also in that harness, but it was not connected to anything in the TH350 application.

In any case, those wires are no longer connected to anything anyway, so as you have planned, simply strap them someplace out of the way.