62 dynamic 88 hydramatic ?

Search this Thread

Old June 28th, 2011, 03:54 PM

62 dynamic 88 hydramatic ?

Ok its seems that there is alot of knowledgable people on here. I hope yall can help me more than the internet has. I have a 62 dynamic88 with a hydramatic tranny selector shows PRNDSL OR 21 cant rember but it is full of fluid and its not burnt the guy I got it from said the bands needed to be adjusted there are 2 bolts to adjust them question is what is the specs for doing so it will pull in D &R but it starts slipping any advice is greatly appriciated thanks Scott
Old June 28th, 2011, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by plummytruckin
Ok its seems that there is alot of knowledgable people on here. I hope yall can help me more than the internet has. I have a 62 dynamic88 with a hydramatic tranny selector shows PRNDSL OR 21 cant rember but it is full of fluid and its not burnt the guy I got it from said the bands needed to be adjusted there are 2 bolts to adjust them question is what is the specs for doing so it will pull in D &R but it starts slipping any advice is greatly appriciated thanks Scott
You don't have a 62,does this trans have 2 pans.62 don't have bands to adj.It sounds like you might have a pre 56 trans.Al
Old June 28th, 2011, 07:31 PM

It has 1 pan
Old June 28th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Oldsdruid

If it says PRNDSL and the shift sequence works correctly with that shift pattern, it is not a 1962 HydraMatic. Shift pattern on those was PNDSLR and is a Roto HydraMatic, otherwise known as Slim Jim.

Either way it does not have bands.
Old June 28th, 2011, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
If it says PRNDSL and the shift sequence works correctly with that shift pattern, it is not a 1962 HydraMatic. Shift pattern on those was PNDSLR and is a Roto HydraMatic, otherwise known as Slim Jim.

Either way it does not have bands.
Thanks so I guess ill need to swap it out with something different or have it rebuilt then I was hoping that when I get home I could adjust the bands and take it for a drive ill be home in about 3 weeks and I'll get under there and get info off the plate thanks again
Old June 29th, 2011, 05:22 AM

Since I couldnt remember the shift seq. I had my nephew go check it out and tell me. Its pndslr
Old June 29th, 2011, 07:43 AM

I got lucky and found a local tranny shop that still has an ol timer he said a rebuild could cost between 800 to 2000 dependin on the problem
Old June 29th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Oldsdruid

Sounds like you have the correct HydraMatic. Having someone who knows how to repair them is a big plus to owning one of these cars, because swapping to another transmission is complicated.

Just curious where you are. Your tranny man could make some money off Slim Jims if he wanted.
Old June 29th, 2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Sounds like you have the correct HydraMatic. Having someone who knows how to repair them is a big plus to owning one of these cars, because swapping to another transmission is complicated.hY

Just curious where you are. Your tranny man could make some money off Slim Jims if he wanted.
im in north east tennessee
Old June 30th, 2011, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Al Steinmetz
You don't have a 62,does this trans have 2 pans.62 don't have bands to adj.It sounds like you might have a pre 56 trans.Al
If this a slimgem with red fluid you are in luck.Your fluid-coupling is broken,it can be replaced with out a complete rebuild.Al
Old June 30th, 2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Al Steinmetz
If this a slimgem with red fluid you are in luck.Your fluid-coupling is broken,it can be replaced with out a complete rebuild.Al
Thanks for the info, but my luck its probably not that simple its something to hope for though
Old July 1st, 2011, 05:33 AM

I live in MN. I have a slim Jim. I could use a tranny filter. If your "old timer" mechanic
has the experiance he would be worth driving to. The slim jim is a very touchy and complicated tranny, even the smallest issue may make it run poorly. Don't be suprised if your mechanic finds a quick fix.
Good luck. Let us know how it goes
Old July 17th, 2011, 06:44 AM

I was at home this weekend and I was looking at the build sheet and on the window sticker it says it has a 4S hydramatic do yall know if it has external band ajustments or a tranny that it can be swapped with thanks again for all the info
Old July 20th, 2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by plummytruckin
I was at home this weekend and I was looking at the build sheet and on the window sticker it says it has a 4S hydramatic do yall know if it has external band ajustments or a tranny that it can be swapped with thanks again for all the info
You have a slim jim ROTO 10 which does not have band adjustments. The F85 slim jim ROTO 5 has a band adjustment, but the band is used only in L range.

This 4S might mean 4 speed, which is what GM called the Roto 10 in 62-64. The first gear is really 2nd but the accelerotor is multiplying torque, so GM thought of it as another speed.
Old July 20th, 2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by d2_willys
You have a slim jim ROTO 10 which does not have band adjustments. The F85 slim jim ROTO 5 has a band adjustment, but the band is used only in L range.

This 4S might mean 4 speed, which is what GM called the Roto 10 in 62-64. The first gear is really 2nd but the accelerotor is multiplying torque, so GM thought of it as another speed.
thanks I appriciate the info