Hurst Shifter Rods

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2023, 07:23 PM

Hurst Shifter Rods

I installed a refurbished hurst super comp shifter on my Muncie trans. As I adjust the rods they seem too short, the middle rod only has a couple of threads engaged at the shifter body. I put the plastic piece through the 3 levers in the main body and made sure the trans was in neutral and adjusted the rods to center in the hole. I looked for longer rods and have not found measurements, just part numbers. Does anyone know the correct part number shifter rods?

Old May 31st, 2023, 09:16 PM

Are you sure the shifter mounting plate is in the correct location?
Old June 1st, 2023, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by oldsmoboogie
Does anyone know the correct part number shifter rods?
What is the application ? I have an old Hurst catalog that should have the part numbers.

The catalog only shows one kit for most Oldsmobiles with a Muncie. Here are the part numbers:

Mounting plate 195 7773
Trans arm 1 & 2 105 2440
Arm 3 & 4 105 2441
Arm reverse 105 2442
Rod 1 & 2 213 2438
Rod 3 & 4 213 2139
Rod reverse 213 3404

The shifter part number is 391 7308 not sure if this will be stamped in the shifter body somewhere or not.

Hope this helps,

Last edited by BillK; June 1st, 2023 at 04:09 AM.
Old June 2nd, 2023, 06:22 AM

OMB,
Did this help any ? I can see the one number on the rod in your picture and it appears to be the correct 2139. Also I was looking at the first picture again and it looks like the two levers on the left are at an angle to the one on the right ? They should all three hang down in the same plane. Also, what "plastic" piece are you using for alignment ? Every Hurst shifter I have seen used a 1/4" steel pin to go through the holes in the levers and the body ? We always used a drill bit.
Old June 2nd, 2023, 08:03 AM

Had this problem, the levers that attach to the trans need to be properly oriented as per the shop manual. The slots are canted/angled a bit and if not properly attached the shift rods will be too short.
Old June 2nd, 2023, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by BillK
OMB,
Did this help any ? I can see the one number on the rod in your picture and it appears to be the correct 2139. Also I was looking at the first picture again and it looks like the two levers on the left are at an angle to the one on the right ? They should all three hang down in the same plane. Also, what "plastic" piece are you using for alignment ? Every Hurst shifter I have seen used a 1/4" steel pin to go through the holes in the levers and the body ? We always used a drill bit.
I have not had a chance to look at it yet. The application is 1964 442, the refurbed shifter replaced the same that was on the trans when I got the car. I will pull the shifter off this weekend and see what the number on the mount is. I appreciate all the info.
Old June 5th, 2023, 05:09 PM

So I took the shifter off and the mounting plate is aluminum with the number 9785269 on it. The top bolt hole is slotted for adjustment. I adjusted it to put the holes for the rods as far forward as possible. The issue is the first bend on the reverse rod is hitting the trans mount so all I have is reverse.
Old June 5th, 2023, 05:18 PM

So I took the shifter off and the mounting plate is aluminum with the number 9785269 on it.
So a quick google search shows that number being a GM mounting plate for 66-69 GTO and Tempest ? Probably would fit Olds also. Do you think the shifter is a GM original part ?

Maybe Joe will chime in. If I have time I will look through what parts books I have and see what I can find. I dont know if the GM factory shifters would have had Hurst part numbers on the rods.

Was this shifter on the car and working before ? If not I am thinking it is not correct.

Last edited by BillK; June 5th, 2023 at 05:20 PM.
Old June 5th, 2023, 06:30 PM

i bought the shifter off someone from this site. I compared it to the shifter that came with the car and it was the same. I checked the numbers on the rods and arms and they match to the numbers you provided. I do not know if the shifter that came with the car was original or not.
Old June 5th, 2023, 06:43 PM

I compared it to the shifter that came with the car and it was the same..
Did the shifter that came on the car work correctly ? Do you still have it ? If so put both of them side by side and see if you can tell the difference.