M22 rebuilt and leaking in front

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2015, 12:23 PM

M22 rebuilt and leaking in front

I just had my 4 speed Muncie transmission rebuilt in my matching numbers 442. It is leaking in the front and the mechanic says that when they made these trannies they didn't have a gasket. It's literally metal against metal. Does anyone have a remedy for the leak?
Old June 3rd, 2015, 01:40 PM

I googled Muncie M22 exploded view.
Take a look at this exploded view of Muncie with accompanying parts list: http://myss396.com/ChevelleInfo/Tran..._Exploded.html
That sure looks like a gasket at the front but maybe a different model of Muncie?
Jerry
Old June 3rd, 2015, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Pokefase
I just had my 4 speed Muncie transmission rebuilt in my matching numbers 442. It is leaking in the front and the mechanic says that when they made these trannies they didn't have a gasket. It's literally metal against metal. Does anyone have a remedy for the leak?
Are you sure about where the leak is exactly?
I've had problems in the past with the hole in the front of the main case where the cluster gear shaft mounts.
Apparently the cluster gear shaft wears the hole over time causing it to leak.
The only fix is to replace the case.
Hopefully, this is not your problem, but, wouldn't hurt to give it a look.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 02:01 PM
Administrator

http://myss396.com/ChevelleInfo/Tran..._Exploded.html

Items #7 and 8 in the above exploded view keep the oil from coming out the front bearing retainer.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
http://myss396.com/ChevelleInfo/Tran..._Exploded.html

Items #7 and 8 in the above exploded view keep the oil from coming out the front bearing retainer.
Part #2 is the gasket between the bearing retainer and the case. That is where your leak is coming from. You need to get a new mechanic...........
Old June 3rd, 2015, 03:24 PM

If the cluster gear pin hole is worn and not a tight fit it will drip. You don't have to replace the case. They can bore the hole and press in a bushing to restore the original figment. Atleast manual transmission shops can do it. Not sure about a regular mechanic. It should not leak after being rebuilt
Old June 3rd, 2015, 03:38 PM

more info needed

Good luck with your leak. Since you state that this M-22 is original to your car you have now told us that you own a 1971 442 4 speed car (since the M-22 was only available in an Olds that year. How about telling us about you & your car?
Old June 3rd, 2015, 06:33 PM

Your right!

Originally Posted by RandyS
Part #2 is the gasket between the bearing retainer and the case. That is where your leak is coming from. You need to get a new mechanic...........

I made the mistake and took my 1967 convertible 442 to All Transmission World in Orlando, Florida and these guys are a bunch of muppets! Since it is still under warranty they will get it right! Thanks for all the posts! Very helpful. Looking for new mechanic as I type.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Good luck with your leak. Since you state that this M-22 is original to your car you have now told us that you own a 1971 442 4 speed car (since the M-22 was only available in an Olds that year. How about telling us about you & your car?
I have a 1967 Olds 442 4 speed with matching numbers. I took it to get the tranny rebuilt and the guy tells me I have a Muncie M21/M22. I'm thinking how can that be? It is either one or the other. I wasnt't able to go into bay to visually inspect case and numbers. So I am going by the mechanic from All Transmission World ( wearing the pop bottle glasses). So needless to say, I'm sure it's an M21. (I'm still learning). I'm going to take (recommend) to google the exploded view of the tranny to the Quasi professionals and maybe they can find a solution.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 06:47 PM

Thanks

Originally Posted by Magna86
If the cluster gear pin hole is worn and not a tight fit it will drip. You don't have to replace the case. They can bore the hole and press in a bushing to restore the original figment. Atleast manual transmission shops can do it. Not sure about a regular mechanic. It should not leak after being rebuilt
I will recommend that as well. I should have done my research before taking it to that shop!

Last edited by Pokefase; June 3rd, 2015 at 06:54 PM.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Magna86
After thinking about it, it was 1970 when I had this problem-45 years ago.
At that time the only remedy was a new case.
I guess I should've realized that a better alternative would have been developed by now.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 08:41 PM

more

I have a 1967 Olds 442 4 speed with matching numbers. I took it to get the tranny rebuilt and the guy tells me I have a Muncie M21/M22. I'm thinking how can that be? It is either one or the other. I wasnt't able to go into bay to visually inspect case and numbers. So I am going by the mechanic from All Transmission World ( wearing the pop bottle glasses). So needless to say, I'm sure it's an M21. (I'm still learning). I'm going to take (recommend) to google the exploded view of the tranny to the Quasi professionals and maybe they can find a solution.

Clearly not an M-22 or not original to your car. Again good luck fixing the leak. When you have time we would love to see pics of your 67 442.
Old June 4th, 2015, 05:08 AM

Sigh....having the same issue with my w30. The last attempt to fix made it leak worse.......

If anyone has any details about pressing in a "bushing" please add it here.

I'll definitely mention it to the guy. He's at least committed to fixing it.
Old June 4th, 2015, 05:25 AM

main case countershaft bushing- $329

http://www.riversidegear.com/muncie-...0-3925661.html

Last edited by allyolds68; June 4th, 2015 at 05:47 AM.
Old June 4th, 2015, 05:45 AM

Muncie has no seal on the input shaft/ That's how it's vented. The input shaft nut acts a slinger and oil drains back through the passageway in the bearing retainer.
Check to make sure there's a gasket on the bearing retainer and it's oriented correctly. Also that the nut is not on backwards.
Most likely, it's the 7/8" countershaft front case hole that's wallowed out. You'll need to ship the case to a shop familiar with that fix. I searched and found a few places that did it for about $75 years ago. If not numbers matching, you can get a "supercase" for a few hundred.
Old June 4th, 2015, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Clearly not an M-22 or not original to your car. Again good luck fixing the leak. When you have time we would love to see pics of your 67 442.

Last edited by Pokefase; June 4th, 2015 at 07:40 AM.
Old June 4th, 2015, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by 67442nut
Are you sure about where the leak is exactly?
I've had problems in the past with the hole in the front of the main case where the cluster gear shaft mounts.
Apparently the cluster gear shaft wears the hole over time causing it to leak.
The only fix is to replace the case.
Hopefully, this is not your problem, but, wouldn't hurt to give it a look.
Spoke to mechanic today, Apparently there wasnt a gasket for the M21 then in 1967. When he rebuilt it he negleted to find an updated gastet for the front. He has finally found a place in the Orlando area to fit a gasket on front casing. He states rear diff can somtimes pump out fluid if the mounts are loose
Old June 4th, 2015, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by joesw31
I would think that the mechanic installed the front bearing retainer gasket, however, he could have stripped the front bearing thread holes. Also, in 1967 they used different front bearing bolts, and if they changed the bearing retainer without changing the bolts, then, it will also leak. Find a different shop.
I'm def not going back there. Rebuilt the tranny but didn't place a gasket in front cuz they didn't make gasket for it then. He attempted to do OEM specs. Once he realized he screwed up when I brought it back, b/c it was still leaking he decided to do it right and order an after market gasket for it
Old June 4th, 2015, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by joesw31
I have a real nice counter case that I may sell. Let me know if there is any interest.
Much appreciated. But I think the solution is in hand. Will def keep you in mind. Thanks
Old June 4th, 2015, 04:50 PM

Spoke to mechanic today, Apparently there wasnt a gasket for the M21 then in 1967. When he rebuilt it he negleted to find an updated gastet for the front. He has finally found a place in the Orlando area to fit a gasket on front casing. He states rear diff can sometimes pump out fluid if the mounts are loose
I have to call Bull Shyte on that guy. The 67 transmissions (which has the same case as the 66) did come with a gasket on the bearing retainer, and the rebuild kits come with them. That rear diff statement is crap too, it might pump out some oil if it was overfilled........

I'm def not going back there. Rebuilt the tranny but didn't place a gasket in front cuz they didn't make gasket for it then. He attempted to do OEM specs. Once he realized he screwed up when I brought it back, b/c it was still leaking he decided to do it right and order an after market gasket for it
Those gaskets are available everywhere - eBay and all the parts dealers. I would request a print out of exactly what he replaced when he rebuilt your M21. BTW, a mid priced rebuild kit is under $200.00. That includes all new bearings, synchros, seals, gaskets, etc. Nothing extra needed except to fill it back up with gear oil.
Old June 4th, 2015, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by RandyS
I have to call Bull Shyte on that guy. The 67 transmissions (which has the same case as the 66) did come with a gasket on the bearing retainer, and the rebuild kits come with them. That rear diff statement is crap too, it might pump out some oil if it was overfilled........

Those gaskets are available everywhere - eBay and all the parts dealers. I would request a print out of exactly what he replaced when he rebuilt your M21. BTW, a mid priced rebuild kit is under $200.00. That includes all new bearings, synchros, seals, gaskets, etc. Nothing extra needed except to fill it back up with gear oil.
I totally agree with you on that! Such a rag tag garage! Lesson learned. I think that place wasn't experienced with such classic cars as mine. But I'm at their mercy until they fix it right (for free)
Old June 4th, 2015, 05:40 PM

Can't download pics b/c security token? WTF? Gotta wait for moderator/administrator.
Old June 4th, 2015, 06:00 PM
72 Olds CS

pics are to large you need to resize them w a program (like irfan view free for download )

or host them externally on a site like photobucket and link to them

there is a sticky w a picture tutorial to help
Old June 6th, 2015, 05:31 AM

Are you saying he told you there's no gasket for an input bearing retainer on a 67?
Total BS............... I just rebuilt a 66, they all use a gasket.
And what the hell does this even mean? "He states rear diff can sometimes pump out fluid if the mounts are loose"

Go somewhere else.