Manual bellhousing tips

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2022, 09:05 AM

Manual bellhousing tips

I'm looking to put a TKX transmission behind a 455 but I am new to installing manual transmissions. Any tips on what to look for regarding fitment, are some castings better than others regarding strength, etc. This is going in a 71 cutlass s with a mild build on the 455 and would likely never see anything past 500hp in future plans. There is one for sale on my local craigslist but I really don't know what to look for aside for obvious damage. Casting number is 1249598. I appreciate any advice!
Old January 15th, 2023, 05:55 PM

Tkx trans

Originally Posted by Natedawg
I'm looking to put a TKX transmission behind a 455 but I am new to installing manual transmissions. Any tips on what to look for regarding fitment, are some castings better than others regarding strength, etc. This is going in a 71 cutlass s with a mild build on the 455 and would likely never see anything past 500hp in future plans. There is one for sale on my local craigslist but I really don't know what to look for aside for obvious damage. Casting number is 1249598. I appreciate any advice!
Just so you know that Trans requires the tunnel to be cut open, referred to as " coffin" .It is a major wound and will require a lot of body work to return to original appearance.
Just an FYI.
Old January 15th, 2023, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by maddoctor
Just so you know that Trans requires the tunnel to be cut open, referred to as " coffin" .It is a major wound and will require a lot of body work to return to original appearance.
Just an FYI.
Not true.

The TKX is a slimmer transmission than the TKO and other Tremec offerings. It fits an A Body (and other cars) without having to modify the car at all.

Old January 16th, 2023, 04:43 AM

Use new ARP hardware that is dedicated to this particular job. Ideally, use a Lakewood bell housing.

Back when most people drove their street cars to the track, a friend had an illustrative incident. The flywheel in his Chevelle left the scene through the top of the car damaging the brand new tow truck of another driver that was sitting in the parking area. My friend was making pass on the track. The buzz saw covered a lot of territory before landing.

Another friend was test driving another guy's new 396/375 that just left the dealership showroom the same morning. (It had 30 miles or so on the odometer.) The flywheel departed through the dash on a nearby public road with the owner in the passenger seat. The damage was so extensive that the car was declared a total loss by the insurance carrier.

No one sustained injuries except to their nerves and undies. Lady Luck was in town.

Last edited by Tri-Carb; January 16th, 2023 at 04:49 AM.
Old January 16th, 2023, 05:18 AM

I used a QuickTime bellhousing, and adjustable dowel pins, plan on dialing in any bellhousing for smooth shifting using an aftermarket trans.
Old January 16th, 2023, 07:55 AM

Make sure that your clutch and pressure plate comes with the correct line up shaft.
Old January 16th, 2023, 09:34 AM

If you're buying the transmission new, the warranty will be null and void unless you measure and adjust the bellhousing runout to be within specs. I got my TKX from SST and got all the conversion/installation parts from them as well so there was no second guessing whether I had the right bellhousing or whatever.