Proper use of the Hurst Dual Gate Shifter

Search this Thread

Old July 5th, 2008, 09:24 PM

Proper use of the Hurst Dual Gate Shifter

What is the "correct" way to use the Hurst DGS? The previous owner didn't use it any and couldn't provide much help. In "normal" I have D, 2 and 1. D will shift automatically, and 2 and 1 just let me drive in first or second gear. So then what are the dual gate gears for? I also have a 1, 2 and 3 on that side. If I drop it in 1 on the DG side, romp on it, then upshift to 2 and 3...whats the difference between that and doing it on the "normal" side?
Today I romped on it in 2 on the dual gate side, then shifted to 3 by shoving the shifter all the way forward...and it went into neutral...at high RPM, which, uh, really impressed the wife.

It's a 1972 442 455/TH400.

Thanks
Old July 6th, 2008, 05:34 AM
same but different

The dual gates allow you NOT go into reverse. It should stop in the gear you select after slapping it. Perhaps your stops are worn, it should'nt go into nuetral like you describe.

Anyways, its often called a "his and hers" too. Allows for you to be more spirited in your driving on "his" side.
Old July 6th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Scotty B
What is the "correct" way to use the Hurst DGS? The previous owner didn't use it any and couldn't provide much help. In "normal" I have D, 2 and 1. D will shift automatically, and 2 and 1 just let me drive in first or second gear. So then what are the dual gate gears for? I also have a 1, 2 and 3 on that side. If I drop it in 1 on the DG side, romp on it, then upshift to 2 and 3...whats the difference between that and doing it on the "normal" side?
Today I romped on it in 2 on the dual gate side, then shifted to 3 by shoving the shifter all the way forward...and it went into neutral...at high RPM, which, uh, really impressed the wife.

It's a 1972 442 455/TH400.

Thanks
The dual gate is intended to allow you to upshift while drag racing while ensuring that the 1-2 shift will only go into second and the 2-3 shift will only go into third. If you hit neutral, you shift linkage is not adjusted properly.

You start with the lever in the RH gate and all the way back. Launch the car. When you want to shift to second, slap the shifter diagonally towards the right front corner of the car. If it's working properly, you will go into second and stop. Release the lever and it springs into position for the next shift. When you want third, again slap diagonally towards the front right corner of the car. The shifter should stop in third gear.
Old July 6th, 2008, 07:42 AM

OK, thanks Joe, I hadn't thought about the diagonal pressure part...I will go out and do some, uh, research, later on today!
Old July 6th, 2008, 09:43 AM

Sounds like fun research. Of course, missing a gear or going into neutral would make me cringe if I was really getting into the secondaries.