Psa: No more 4 speed cases

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2023, 11:10 AM

Psa: No more 4 speed cases

If you're looking for a new case for your Muncie, you are s.o.l. I have found out that the patterns for the sand casts are wore out and production has stopped. Today I was looking around and found 2 other castings by Yukon Gear and USA Standard Gear similar to the AutoGear Supercase, but all are out of stock with no future availability dates. I've had 1 on backorder since February. I tried to order more today, and was unsuccessful.
I know this is for a very small audience, just trying to help.....
Old July 27th, 2023, 01:11 PM

Autogear is shut down as well?

I was considering of ordering another trans from them this coming spring.
Old July 27th, 2023, 01:18 PM

The G-Force is similar in design to a Muncie but strong and set up for racing. The Jerico aluminum case is based off the toploader Ford design, also a race trans. I got my Jerico with road race sliders so it can be downshifted, etc, for street use. Either of them can be ordered with good first gear ratios and close 3-4 gaps.
Old July 27th, 2023, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by 66_Jetstar
Autogear is shut down as well?

I was considering of ordering another trans from them this coming spring.
^^^^^ This ^^^^^

Auto Gear Equipment
Old July 27th, 2023, 04:07 PM

AutoGear sold in January. They are trying to get up and running. They definitely have Ultra/M23s, and I may have one coming. I'll see what shows up.
Hotels are booked for Drag Week. I'd like to get a few test passes in because, per usual, I changed a whole bunch at once. LOL
Old July 29th, 2023, 06:58 PM

Autogear is local to me and I visited their booth at a major show two weeks ago. I understood they were merged with Nixon Gear, also local, maybe under a new parent but I wasn't aware of any interruption in their business. They do have very long lead times getting their gears if they aren't in inventory. A friend, a very tallented transmission and gear designer, is being retained by them as a consultant. He commented to me their gears are being made in Italy and are of superb quality, excellent steel and machining, surpassing the Delco sets of decades ago. But the issue is lead time. I don't know the status of the cases.
Old July 30th, 2023, 02:09 AM

I know all about the lead times. Covid screwed that all up. If you're that tight, tell them to get their collective shjt together. I had an order sit in the warehouse since February, boxed up, unshipped. I just received a last week after calling Mary every day. Really pi$$Ed me off.
As far as the cases go, Jegs claimed they were out of stock, then I got an email saying it shipped. I think it might be a scam, but i also need a case.

Last edited by fleming442; July 30th, 2023 at 04:23 PM.
Old July 30th, 2023, 04:20 PM

Are these aftermarket racing cases or factory GM cases? Are GM cases OK to use for racing or just for mainly street?
Old August 1st, 2023, 07:14 AM
Stuck in the 80's

Originally Posted by edzolz
Are these aftermarket racing cases or factory GM cases? Are GM cases OK to use for racing or just for mainly street?
AGE makes many parts that support the Muncie platform but they are built with modern materials and methods so are much stronger. Cases have many improvements and there are several options. If you go to Midwest Muncie you can see pictures of the cases in finished product. You can use there stuff to upgrade your existing Muncie or have a new one built from scratch. For example if your side cover is leaking and worn, you can buy a new cover with tight bushings ands upgraded shift forks that will bolt on.

I really hope they are successful under the new ownership. I don't like hearing about Flemings poor customer service..... that's not good.
Old August 1st, 2023, 09:11 AM

They definitely have top notch stuff: gears are made by Mesario in Italy, bronze syncros cast in Japan, etc. They have literally gone all over the world to source the best parts.
I'm about 2/3 of the way there with parts I need. Got some more stuff coming today; I think it's an Ultra/M23Z, though. I'll post some pics.
Old August 1st, 2023, 11:30 AM
Stuck in the 80's

Originally Posted by fleming442
They definitely have top notch stuff: gears are made by Mesario in Italy, bronze syncros cast in Japan, etc. They have literally gone all over the world to source the best parts.
I'm about 2/3 of the way there with parts I need. Got some more stuff coming today; I think it's an Ultra/M23Z, though. I'll post some pics.
So funny on our similarities... I ordered a Z ratio as well. Going to go to a 3.55 instead of my 3.91, yet will have a better starting line ratio than when I ran 4.56 and the 2.20 first. It will be a winter install.
Going to have to live Drag Week through you... wont be ready this year....
Old August 1st, 2023, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by SteveDB
So funny on our similarities... I ordered a Z ratio as well. Going to go to a 3.55 instead of my 3.91, yet will have a better starting line ratio than when I ran 4.56 and the 2.20 first. It will be a winter install.
Going to have to live Drag Week through you... wont be ready this year....

So, I unboxed everything, and they sent exactly what I asked for: 10 in, 32 out, standard M22Z. They say I'll twist the input shaft splines... Bah! Let's GOOOOO!
That's my old case. I guess they're holding some for someone other than me, or they legit don't have any.
I got the the last USA Standard/ Yukon case 75036 from Jegs for $830+tax. I'll do a quick comparison tomorrow.

Last edited by fleming442; August 2nd, 2023 at 10:13 AM.
Old August 2nd, 2023, 09:08 AM
Stuck in the 80's

Nice parts collection there, will be interesting to see how the Yukon case stacks up.
Old August 2nd, 2023, 05:05 PM

The one I ordered from Yukon is an AutoGear. I just paid double for it. No comparison necessary...

New one is on the right. There might be 2 more on ebay; search part number
ZMMUN18-410-002.

I got the good sliders, blocking rings, forks, and side cover, too.

Old August 10th, 2023, 08:01 AM

So, it appears that the foundry they were using went under. They are still trying to get situated, but have another foundry online. These things are in high demand and will resume production, but it might be another 2-3 months. Keep your fingers crossed.
Old February 6th, 2024, 06:27 PM

So, it appears that the foundry they were using went under. They are still trying to get situated, but have another foundry online. These things are in high demand and will resume production, but it might be another 2-3 months. Keep your fingers crossed.
I need a new case and thinking why not just get a whole new build for a little more $$$. My '71 came with the M22 and the dual disc clutch option. Removing the trans for pulling the engine for a rebuild I found the two left mounting tabs were broken (great). I contacted Midwest Muncie and they said they would be happy to build me what I needed, this was back in June (no I have not contacted them recently).

For SteveDB - I sent you an email asking if you have heard of a company in Vancouver, WA. called "Garage Motor Sports" they are more local (PNW) and I wouldn't need shipping. He also said he would be happy to do a new build for me. Yes trying to weigh out Midwest or GMS.

Yes I know this post is a few months old. Any thought on one vs the other? Are new cases available?
Thanks.
Old February 6th, 2024, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by JMJ-RIP
I need a new case and thinking why not just get a whole new build for a little more $$$. My '71 came with the M22 and the dual disc clutch option. Removing the trans for pulling the engine for a rebuild I found the two left mounting tabs were broken (great). I contacted Midwest Muncie and they said they would be happy to build me what I needed, this was back in June (no I have not contacted them recently).

For SteveDB - I sent you an email asking if you have heard of a company in Vancouver, WA. called "Garage Motor Sports" they are more local (PNW) and I wouldn't need shipping. He also said he would be happy to do a new build for me. Yes trying to weigh out Midwest or GMS.

Yes I know this post is a few months old. Any thought on one vs the other? Are new cases available?
Thanks.
Auto gear who manufactures and distributes a lot of the parts also builds transmissions. You might want to give them a call.
Old February 7th, 2024, 01:48 AM

You can call them. They may have kept a few. Or, try Craig at https://wrightconnection.net/product...-transmission/
I called a month or so ago, and they still hadn't gotten the foundry up to speed. They have the N case/M23 stuff in stock.
Old February 8th, 2024, 06:01 PM

Thank you guys, I'll plan on making a couple more calls.

Time is running shorter for the engine build, only waiting on pistons now.

flemming442: My dad was a Pontiac guy, he ordered a '70 GTO Judge vert, after around 8/9 months and with the strike, he asked for his deposit back. They finally succumbed to that and he went to the local Olds dealership (Russ Dunmire) to see what they might have. They said they found a special order car that was the sister car to Dunmire's new race car. LOL (ended up as my moms daily driver). Said car was in Portland, OR. and was shipped to Dunmire the following day. Here it sits on my lift. Yes, I would rather have both my parents back, both passed very young (growing up in this household was very good, I feel fortunate).
Old February 9th, 2024, 03:24 AM

I have an all AutoGear M22W here; going to the swap meet in a few weeks. I'm Mid-Atlantic, so shipping to the PNW would be a killer.
I also have 97% of the stuff to do an M22, but waiting for a Supercase. I have a GM case. It seems silly to slap it together with that, though.
Old February 11th, 2024, 06:30 PM

I have an all AutoGear M22W here; going to the swap meet in a few weeks. I'm Mid-Atlantic, so shipping to the PNW would be a killer.
I also have 97% of the stuff to do an M22, but waiting for a Supercase. I have a GM case. It seems silly to slap it together with that, though.
Yes, I figured around $160 for shipping from Midwest. I agree, it makes no sense to build new, with a GM case. One thing I am guessing at is the letter at the tail end of the trans ID, my thought here is it is designating the gear set. Yes? No? (what would be what, M22, M22W, M22Z).
Old February 12th, 2024, 03:27 AM

The M22 is the standard GM with a 2.20 1st gear. The W has a 2.56, and the Z has a 2.99. They're all still 1:1 4th.
I think there are 2 different spreads available on the Z, but I'm not totally clear on the difference.
Old February 16th, 2024, 11:09 AM

The M22 is the standard GM with a 2.20 1st gear. The W has a 2.56, and the Z has a 2.99. They're all still 1:1 4th.
I think there are 2 different spreads available on the Z, but I'm not totally clear on the difference.
Well my suspicions are correct then. Since running down a track isn't my main goal here (except the possibility of once a year for a few years), leaves me thinking the 2.20 would probably be low enough (I don't have that decided yet).
Still waiting on pistons and some heads from Mark, everything else for that portion is ready.

Last edited by JMJ-RIP; February 16th, 2024 at 11:12 AM.
Old March 27th, 2024, 05:50 PM

Here is where I am at. AGE will contact me around 2 weeks from now, for a date my build will start, with them saying about 3 weeks for the build. Since I cannot get their replacement case I am going with an M23W since my rear is a 3.73. Yes, maybe not the right direction to go with an all numbers matching W-30, but the original case with 2 broken left ears, what the heck. It can easily be slid out, without hurting a darn thing.
Besides, I think it is a shame to put a car in a museum. It'll sit in my garage next to, or under the '66 BB Coupe hunk of Chevrolet fiberglass. My wife can drive either one she wants (after all, this W-30 was my moms daily driver for 20+ years).
Old March 27th, 2024, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by JMJ-RIP
Here is where I am at. AGE will contact me around 2 weeks from now, for a date my build will start, with them saying about 3 weeks for the build. Since I cannot get their replacement case I am going with an M23W since my rear is a 3.73. Yes, maybe not the right direction to go with an all numbers matching W-30, but the original case with 2 broken left ears, what the heck. It can easily be slid out, without hurting a darn thing.
Besides, I think it is a shame to put a car in a museum. It'll sit in my garage next to, or under the '66 BB Coupe hunk of Chevrolet fiberglass. My wife can drive either one she wants (after all, this W-30 was my moms daily driver for 20+ years).
It's nice to see these cars being used for what they were designed for.