Rebuilding roto-5, what broke in yours? 1962 F85

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2016, 06:55 AM

Question Rebuilding roto-5, what broke in yours? 1962 F85

I'm about to rebuild the trans in my 1962 F85 Cutlass. Problem is that it lost all forward gears. still goes in reverse.

before I begin, I'm curious about what others have found to have failed in their roto 5, if you've rebuilt, or had one rebuilt.

I thought it might be a valve body issue, so valve body was removed and cleaned and still no change. Also attempted to adjust the band, but it never did reach the torque spec called out in the manual. In fact it never tightened at all, was able to turn it by hand until the bolt head was all the way in. I assume the band has broken.

I have another 1962 roto 5 of unknown condition or origin, and I'm trying to decide which to rebuild, the 'core' or the original one I know has something broken.

I have already purchased a rebuild kit with a new band, and hope to get to work on it soon.
Thanks!
Old February 21st, 2016, 09:55 AM

The governor is made of aluminum. Even if it is not bad you need to update it to the replacement cast iron one. After my rebuild it only lasted 1000 miles before the aluminum governor went bad. I lost forward gears when it went bad. It would go a little but not much. There are several replacement iron governors that GM made for this transmission. I believe this guy has them.

http://www.yellowpages.com/saint-cla...ission-7180577
Old February 23rd, 2016, 01:09 PM

fantastic info! thank you!
Old December 10th, 2020, 06:57 PM

Hello, I know this may be a long shot since this thread was almost 5 years ago, but did replacing the iron governor fix the issue? Or did you have to still rebuild regardless? I'm having the same issue with my 1963 F-85 cutlass and trying to figure out what my best options are.
Old December 10th, 2020, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by jposadas
Hello, I know this may be a long shot since this thread was almost 5 years ago, but did replacing the iron governor fix the issue? Or did you have to still rebuild regardless? I'm having the same issue with my 1963 F-85 cutlass and trying to figure out what my best options are.
I have no idea about the governor alone.
​​I decided to have a transmission shop do the rebuild on a spare unit and install the new governor. It purged out all it's fluid after about 100 miles, and was torn apart again, with some "internal vents" added to relieve the pressure. That helped for about another 100 miles, and now it will blow the dipstick out and all the fluid in about 10 miles. When it has fluid it works well. I wasted about $2000 and still can't drive it. Been sitting now for 4 years. I will eventually put a manual or some other more reliable Automatic in it, but I'm done with the roto5.
Old December 10th, 2020, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by RyanFink
I have no idea about the governor alone.
​​I decided to have a transmission shop do the rebuild on a spare unit and install the new governor. It purged out all it's fluid after about 100 miles, and was torn apart again, with some "internal vents" added to relieve the pressure. That helped for about another 100 miles, and now it will blow the dipstick out and all the fluid in about 10 miles. When it has fluid it works well. I wasted about $2000 and still can't drive it. Been sitting now for 4 years. I will eventually put a manual or some other more reliable Automatic in it, but I'm done with the roto5.
Thanks for replying so soon, sorry to hear about all those struggles with the roto-5. These transmissions are a pain and I can't seem to find anyone who wants to even get near it either without charging a big amount for a rebuild. I'll probably have to just engine swap to make life easier but I'll keep looking around and doing research. Thanks again, good luck on your build hopefully you can get to it soon.
Old December 11th, 2020, 12:51 AM

There are other automatic transmissions which will bolt up. it wasn't long ago, since such conversions were discussed here
Old December 11th, 2020, 03:05 AM

I know it is a LONG way from California but Vedder's Transmission in Spencer Indiana rebuilt mine and been working great since 2012. He is the one that found out for me that there was a cast iron governor update for me. I have a few of these cast iron governors now if you decide you need one. I would just have to have the transmission number off the passenger side tag to know what one you need and if I have that one.
Old September 2nd, 2022, 08:09 AM

Following for potential future transmission issues.
Old September 2nd, 2022, 09:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Eff-eighty-five
Following for potential future transmission issues.
This thread is from 2016 with a brief resurrection in 2020. You might be waiting a long time for responses.
Old September 3rd, 2022, 07:23 PM

Fix for fluid purge

So after years of my rebuilt roto 5 purging fluid out the dipstick tube every time I drove it, I stumbled across a fix on a European car forum where some had the same issue with a roto 5.
Following their recommendation, I jacked up the rear end so the tires were off the ground. Then ran the transmission through all the gears for about 2 minutes each. And it worked! I've put about 200 miles on with no loss of fluid.

Prior to this it would blow out the dipstick and fluid until it would not move. I would use about 3 quarts for a 25 mile drive, and the entire engine bay was soaked.

I hope this helps someone

Old September 4th, 2022, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by RyanFink
So after years of my rebuilt roto 5 purging fluid out the dipstick tube every time I drove it, I stumbled across a fix on a European car forum where some had the same issue with a roto 5.
Following their recommendation, I jacked up the rear end so the tires were off the ground. Then ran the transmission through all the gears for about 2 minutes each. And it worked! I've put about 200 miles on with no loss of fluid.

Prior to this it would blow out the dipstick and fluid until it would not move. I would use about 3 quarts for a 25 mile drive, and the entire engine bay was soaked.

I hope this helps someone
That's great news!
Thanks for posting.