The Right Torque Converter for 350/TH350

Search this Thread

Old April 20th, 2020, 04:39 PM

Smile The Right Torque Converter for 350/TH350

Hi Classic Oldsmobile Community,
This will be my first post! I been a member for a while and this forum has been really helpful with my 1969 Oldsmobile F-85/Cutlass, i am learning a lot of BOP information that has been really helpful. i know there is many old treads and i tried finding information to help me solve this but i could not find the right answers. So here it goes when i purchased my F-85 it came with the original rocket 350 and 2 speed transmission, the transmission was slipping when i bought it so i drive it softly. luckily the previous owner included a junkyard Chevy TH350 with an adapter plate and a random converter. i am planning in getting the 3 speed rebuild soon and everything i read indicates it should bolt up fairly easy, thats great because i would be doing this swap at home i have experience doing this with old Chevy's and my knowledge is limited with Olds so my question is what torque converter should i use? Can i use the original one from the 2 speed or maybe the junkyard one? Im guessing the the junkyard one is set up for a higher stall since its from a Chevy? Also i am willing to buy a new one if i need to, i just want the right TQ for my application since this will be a street beater (i love driving my car like i stole it) and i want it to be build decently.
Also thanks in advance to everyone helping me solve this!

Heres a little more information on the car:
Diff Gears: 3.73
Engine: Stock 1969 Rocket 350 (Wish i could find a running 455!)
Rear Tire Size: 275s
Shifter: Hurst Quarter Stick
Carburetor: Holley 650cfm
Please let me know if more information is needed?
Old April 21st, 2020, 04:15 AM

If you are going to have the Chevy Turbo 350 rebuilt why not just get a T350 for a Olds and have that one rebuilt? Factory correct bolt pattern will be much better that adding a adapter plate. Anyway about the torque converter if you have 3.73 gears you shouldn't need a real loose one.....
Old April 21st, 2020, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
If you are going to have the Chevy Turbo 350 rebuilt why not just get a T350 for a Olds and have that one rebuilt? Factory correct bolt pattern will be much better that adding a adapter plate. Anyway about the torque converter if you have 3.73 gears you shouldn't need a real loose one.....
I agree with Greg. There should be plenty of cores available on the left coast. . Correct application for a cutlass should have a short tail shaft. Assuming your chevy core has a short shaft, it can be switched to an Olds long tail shaft. Long tail shaft trans tend to be cheaper and more available .
Old April 21st, 2020, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the reply Creg and jmcghee! i decided to go with the Chevy th350 because its convenient i already have "everything" and my thought is a Chevy th350 can be found in any junkyard vs the BOP th350 that i notice is more rare to find unless your buying it off someones backyard! (Here in the bay area) i can always call the shop and ask if they have BOP one laying around. Also my understanding is they are the same transmission just different case??? i plan on beating on this car a lot and parts are provably gonna break often so i wanna have the option of picking up a transmission at any junkyard if i need to. And it is a short tail shaft i believe 6', i checked and the yoke of the drive shafts fit! the transmissions seem to be the same size.
Would i be fine buying a stock 1969 BOP th350 TQ? i wanna make the most out of my set up!
Old April 21st, 2020, 02:34 PM

Any BOP short tail will fit youre car. If youre gonna be rough on the car, have a BOP T350 built up with good internals and some valve body modifications, and you wont have to worry about you breakin' it and havin' to get another junkyard piece. Maybe the trans shop will take the Chevy trans in trade, and you can sell the adapter to someone for some bucks.
Torque converter choice depends on what cam profile you have in your engine, and whether you want best launch, or best cruise and mpg
Old April 21st, 2020, 11:21 PM

I will talk to the shop and see if a BOP transmission is available! And for the cam i am sure its what ever came stock on the 69 olds 350 they only mods on the engine are holley carb and headers. Im not too worry about mpg i been daily driving V8s since i was 16, also i want the best launch my buddy has a 75 camaro and wants to line up once i get the transmission swap! I believe on the olds 350 im confident that with the right set up i can smoke his camaro. Can anyone recommend a proper TQ? I just want to make sure I install the correct one I would hate to have to pull the transmission after the swap.
Old April 22nd, 2020, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Goodfella-F85
Thanks for the reply Creg and jmcghee! i decided to go with the Chevy th350 because its convenient i already have "everything" and my thought is a Chevy th350 can be found in any junkyard vs the BOP th350 that i notice is more rare to find unless your buying it off someones backyard! (Here in the bay area) i can always call the shop and ask if they have BOP one laying around. Also my understanding is they are the same transmission just different case??? i plan on beating on this car a lot and parts are provably gonna break often so i wanna have the option of picking up a transmission at any junkyard if i need to. And it is a short tail shaft i believe 6', i checked and the yoke of the drive shafts fit! the transmissions seem to be the same size.
Would i be fine buying a stock 1969 BOP th350 TQ? i wanna make the most out of my set up!
I just found this on craigslist.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts...111158884.html
Old April 22nd, 2020, 04:12 AM

^^^^^^^^ there ya go....
Old April 22nd, 2020, 09:22 AM

Glad you are going with the BOP trans . You will not have as many issues, that the chevy plus adapter will cause. You should not have to cut the drive shaft. The linkage mods to go from the 2 speed to 350 should be easier. Dont have a converter sugestion.. I do know the guys that will, will want to know your rear gear ratio, and tire size. Good luck
Old April 22nd, 2020, 09:24 AM

Maybe ask the mods to switch this to the drive train and trans section. You will get more answers
Old April 22nd, 2020, 11:09 AM

Thanks for the link svnt442! They guy at the transmission shop said he has a BOP core in storage and does not mind trading it for the chevy! Jmcghee the mods? How to I switch it over to train and trans section? Thanks for the help
Old April 22nd, 2020, 01:04 PM

Heres a little more information on the car:
Diff Gears: 3.73
Engine: Stock 1969 Rocket 350 (Wish i could find a running 455!)
Rear Tire Size: 275s
Shifter: Hurst Quarter Stick
Carburetor: Holley 650cfm
And for the cam i am sure its what ever came stock on the 69 olds 350 they only mods on the engine are holley carb and headers.

Can anyone recommend a proper TQ?
With that setup I would use something around the 1800-2200 RPM range since you have 3.73 rear gears. Back when my 1970 Supreme 350-4bbl was in factory form, I used a 2000 RPM converter with the trans rebuild and it seemed to work really well.
Old April 22nd, 2020, 01:16 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

https://www.jegs.com/p/TCI/TCI-Ultim...58850/10002/-1

I'd recommend the TCI Saturday Night Special or the Breakaway. Leaning more towards the SNS for your stock small block.
Never buy a used converter.
Always prefill a new converter and make sure its properly seated into the trans before you install the trans in the car. Then recheck it before you bolt the case to the block.

Change trans fluid/filter after the first 500 miles then every 5-15K afterward...depending on how hard you beat it up. Use TCI clear synthetic trans fluid and run a properly plumbed trans cooler, there is a wrong way.

Good choice to go with the BOP core. You won't be sorry.

Have the trans shop use the TransGo brand rebuild kit with the TransGo shift kit and an adjustable modulator, (TM50). While they are in the trans make sure they do the basic high perf modifications for crisp shifts. If you want tire chirping upshifts let them know before the rebuilding starts.

Have the shop replace ALL internal bearings(the ones that look like cam bearings).

Old April 22nd, 2020, 09:18 PM

Thanks guys! I will definitely check those out and find one that fits my budget, i have an appointment next week with the transmission shop! I will mention the Trans Go kit and the modulator! Also should i run a kick down cable on my th350? I am running a Hurst Quarter Stick Shifter!
Old April 22nd, 2020, 09:35 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Yes.
This vid isnt bad.
Old April 26th, 2020, 10:15 AM

very informative video thanks drodlsmorland!