Roto tranny alternatives

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2023, 05:43 PM
Just messing around

Question Roto tranny alternatives

Hello All, got a question regarding the rotomatic tranny found in the 1962 olds jetfire. I am eyeing a jetfire and am wondering about long term reliability and want to know if any other type of tranny will bolt up to the back of the olds 215 v8. one would think that it should be possible, but I want to hear your thoughts. if it is best to keep the roto, where can I find parts for em? I want to be able to daily it without worrying about the tranny going out and not being able to fix it. I ran into that problem with my 53 chevy of not being able to source parts easily for the 3 speeds and dont want another goose chase hunting down parts. If anyone knows where parts are to be had or a different tranny that can be swapped in, let me know.
Old January 28th, 2023, 06:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

The 215 has a unique bellhousing bolt pattern that only accepts the RH5, the manual trans bellhousing, the Buick two speed AT used in the 61-63 Skylark, and the Rover transmissions used behind their version of the 215. The bigger problem is the floorpan on the Y-body cars, which requires significant metal work to clean pretty much any other trans. Frankly, changing the trans and making these mods on a real Jetfire will hurt value, so tread lightly here. If you MUST have an automatic, about the only modern trans that fits relatively easily is the TH200 three speed. These transmissions have a bad reputation because GM overstressed them behind bigger V8s, but they will work fine behind the 215. They share a lot of internal parts with the 200-4R, so there are HD parts available. They have the added advantage of using a throttle valve cable instead of a vacuum modulator, which is how the RH5 worked also (with a rod instead of a cable). Don't think this is anywhere close to a bolt-in, however. The TH200 still needs an adapter plate to bolt to the 215 (D&D sells these). The driveshaft, trans mount, and TV cable linkage are all custom, as is the flywheel. If you are paying someone to do this work, it won't be cheap and frankly most "mechanics" will have no clue about this.
Old January 28th, 2023, 04:57 PM
Just messing around

Interesting. The main reason for the question is the 62 Jetfire I am eyeing has the roto in it and I want to know that if it burned out, I could swap in something that will be able to work. I worry about driving my 53 chevy because if the tranny goes, good luck finding new parts. I want to be able to daily it and use it as was intended without worrying of the tranny going to pieces. I heard that the roto could be finicky at times, so since it sounds like you're familiar with 'em, how good are they?
Old January 28th, 2023, 07:00 PM
Old(s) Fart

Fatsco has the parts for that RH5 (and the trans in your Chevy). Personally, I think the RH5 is one of the worst automatics that GM ever made, which is why I'm replacing the one in my 62 wagon with a T5 manual trans.
Old January 29th, 2023, 05:39 AM
Just messing around

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Fatsco has the parts for that RH5 (and the trans in your Chevy). Personally, I think the RH5 is one of the worst automatics that GM ever made, which is why I'm replacing the one in my 62 wagon with a T5 manual trans.
The tranny in my 53 chevy is a 3 speed on the column manual gear box, almost impossible to find parts for it. Now the rh5 in the jetfire won't see hard use except maybe a few small trailers when hauling a small go kart or something. but even then, it won't be pushed. I have to have an auto box in the jetfire unfortunately so the family can drive it. I am the only stick driver in the family and the I need a small reliable car I can work on that gets good mileage and has the torque to get out of its own way. And I am a diehard olds lover so it's a win-win-win in my book.
Old January 29th, 2023, 05:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Jetfire62
I need a small reliable car I can work on that gets good mileage and has the torque to get out of its own way. And I am a diehard olds lover so it's a win-win-win in my book.
It pains me to say this, but the Jetfire wasn't particularly reliable when it was new. The turbo system is extremely complex and there are a multitude of vacuum and pressure operated valves and diaphragms that "band-aid" performance at very specific operating conditions. To be honest, I think the Jetfire is the poster child for why you need computer controls on a car this complex. These non-metallic diaphragms and seals deteriorate and replacements are not available. Talk to Eric Jensen about having to carefully disassemble crimped actuator diaphragms to replace the rubber parts. Even common replacement parts for wear items on the 1961-63 Y-body cars can be difficult to find (brakes, suspension, and steering). Searching for these parts will make your 53 look like finding parts for a Camaro.

This isn't intended to discourage you from getting a Jetfire, but do it with your eyes open. There's a reason why there are only a few dozen of these cars still running today with the turbo system intact.

Now if you want a reliable small Olds that gets decent mileage, consider a non-Turbo Y-body. The Rover 4.6 is externally identical to the 215 and just about bolts in to one of these cars (and with a little work you can punch it out to a 298 cu in motor). My 62 wagon (still with a 215) is reliable as an anvil and gets driven a lot, including 2,600 miles in 10 days for Power Tour in 2019. The only substantive non-stock items on the care are the Edelbrock carb and the Fox-body dual circuit master cylinder.
Old January 29th, 2023, 12:17 PM
Just messing around

Since the car is all mechanical, I can work on it and be able to fix it. I don't get along with car computers, not even electronic ignition. This thing is much faster than anything I own by a long shot. My daily is a 31 ford model a pickup that tops out at 45, so this thing is pretty much a "turbo-rocket" by my standards. I am looking at a fully restored example with a fully functional turbo, and all the worn out seals have been taken care of already, so that's not a huge concern. I know that if rebuilt the right way and a few things done to em, they can be fairly reliable, especially compared to my old chevy that has broken down 3 times coming home from the repair shop. Anything is more reliable than that. I can fabricate parts for this thing fairly easily since I build my own jet engines out of old turbos, so working on this thing should be straight forward. Only real concern on this car is transmission longevity and cooling.
Old January 30th, 2023, 07:55 AM

I'm trying to figure out why you are having such a hard time with the 53 Chevy transmission. As I remember when I was doing Chevy's there were all kinds of options for that era car, power glides can be and have been rebuilt on a kitchen table..Tedd
Old January 30th, 2023, 08:03 AM

Here's a link to Fatsco Transmission parts.

https://www.fatsco.net/

I got parts from them when I rebuilt the Slim Jim Rotohydramatic in my 64 Olds 98. It never shifted correctly even after installing new internal seals.

If I ever bought an early 98 the first thing to go would be the transmission. As Joe said, your car being a Starfire would hurt the value if you swapped the transmission. However, those early automatics are such POS that the Starfire is the only one worth saving. Good luck finding someone that can rebuild it.
Old January 30th, 2023, 08:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I'm trying to figure out why you are having such a hard time with the 53 Chevy transmission. As I remember when I was doing Chevy's there were all kinds of options for that era car, power glides can be and have been rebuilt on a kitchen table..Tedd
The 53 is a three speed manual, which I believe is the Muncie 319. Bearings and seals are easy; hard parts probably not so much.
Old January 30th, 2023, 08:10 AM
Just messing around

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The 53 is a three speed manual, which I believe is the Muncie 319. Bearings and seals are easy; hard parts probably not so much.
Right on Joe, the problem with the Muncie 318 is no gears available. only things are bearings, seals and maybe synchro rings. but gears and shafts? forget it. Iwant to keep that 3 on the tree tranny for the original driving experience. My tranny howls a bit and although its nothing major, I don't want it to go out on me. Chevy kept changing the design of the internals of this gearbox so only 53 and maybe 54 gears will work.

Last edited by Jetfire62; January 30th, 2023 at 08:13 AM. Reason: additional info