Slim Jim damper plate - transmission

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2010, 08:13 PM

Slim Jim damper plate - transmission

Does anyone have any experience with diagnosing/evaluating the damper plate short of pulling the trans out of the car? I'm specifically looking for input on symptoms arising from weak springs or any typical damper malfunction.

In case you're not familiar with this part by description, I have attached a picture of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
damper - orig.JPG (17.0 KB, 34 views)
Old April 3rd, 2010, 04:24 AM

i don't think you can do much with it without pulling the transmission. i had a 62 Dynamic 88 but never had any trouble with it.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 06:22 AM

Arrow Dampner Replacement

Originally Posted by Oldsmobomb
Does anyone have any experience with diagnosing/evaluating the damper plate short of pulling the trans out of the car? I'm specifically looking for input on symptoms arising from weak springs or any typical damper malfunction.

In case you're not familiar with this part by description, I have attached a picture of it.

Go to www.fatsco.com they sell new Dampner Plates and many other Slim Jim Tranny parts which include the Roto 10 Trannys as well. Shipment was usually UPS but other options are all possible. The Springs can't be replaced while in the car and if you were able to change them the slots where they ride have most likely become oversized and the new springs would rattle just as much as the old ones did. Good Luck!!!