Speedometer gear seal

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2020, 11:26 AM

Speedometer gear seal

Hi, i have a leak on my speedometer drive shaft from my 1956 Olds.I want to replace the o ring but i didn’t found anything correct to replace it. The only thing i found was on oldsmobile obsolete but then it was the complete “bullet” and it was over 300$ and i’m not sure if the o ring is included 🤔🤔
Anyway that’s way to much money.
Now my question is does an GM seal kit from earlier cars that i found on eBay could fits my shaft?
Or is there anyone who knows what type could fit??
The photo is just an illustration of what kind of seal i need

can anyone help me please.

Rocket88 greetings from Belgium

Last edited by D.Janssen; April 28th, 2020 at 09:26 AM.
Old May 4th, 2020, 03:26 PM

I would check with a speedometer repair shop, they may have one.
Old May 6th, 2020, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by D.Janssen
Hi, i have a leak on my speedometer drive shaft from my 1956 Olds.I want to replace the o ring but i didn’t found anything correct to replace it. The only thing i found was on oldsmobile obsolete but then it was the complete “bullet” and it was over 300$ and i’m not sure if the o ring is included 🤔🤔
Anyway that’s way to much money.
Now my question is does an GM seal kit from earlier cars that i found on eBay could fits my shaft?
Or is there anyone who knows what type could fit??
The photo is just an illustration of what kind of seal i need

can anyone help me please.

Rocket88 greetings from Belgium

I suppose one question would be: Is it an automatic or manual transmission? Most were automatic. Also there were two types of automatic transmissions in 1956; "R" and "O".
Your photo shows a seal that does not have a round cross section. I'm wondering if that's the type of seal that's really needed. The Oldsmobile parts book shows for Group 4.338, "Seal, Transmission Speedometer Drive Shaft Oil", part number 565673 for 1954 & 1955 Hydramatic transmission and 1956 "R" Hydramatic transmission.
If it's a round cross section O ring, there are many O ring kits available. There are also kits which allow the "making" of O rings if the cross section of the ring is a standard size.
https://www.amazon.com/Kit-juntas-t%C3%B3ricas-est%C3%A1ndar-Negro/dp/B00NQORNZW/ref=sr_1_30?crid=1ZGGE2NBPSXFB&dchild=1&keywords=o+ring+kit&qid=1588752240&sprefix=O+ring+%2Caps%2C1086&sr=8-30 https://www.amazon.com/Kit-juntas-t%C3%B3ricas-est%C3%A1ndar-Negro/dp/B00NQORNZW/ref=sr_1_30?crid=1ZGGE2NBPSXFB&dchild=1&keywords=o+ring+kit&qid=1588752240&sprefix=O+ring+%2Caps%2C1086&sr=8-30
Ask in a place that specializes in seals and O rings. They may have what you need. When you go bring the part of the transmission you want it to fit.
Old May 7th, 2020, 07:07 AM

Hi Guys, thanks for the answers, indeed i was a bit short on information.
It’s a automatic transmission type ‘ o’ , the bullet in have is like the photo below.

The picture of the ‘o’ ring was just for an example 😉😉.
Now the bullet is very hard tightened, so i tought to leave it because it doensn’t leak between the bullet and thé transmission and i’ m affraid then when losen it, it may start to leak there after reassambly.
Now i went to my local american parts shop, and the gave me a seal, but it doesn’t fit the bullet but it does fit in the speedometercable sleeve.So i don’ t know if it’s wright.
I have also a parts book but i can’t see there of the seal should fit in the bullet or in the sleeve.
The problem here in Belgium is that there are no detail shops where i can’ t find the wright part on the base of the parts nummer.🥺
So could you tell me if the seal is in the bullet or sleeve, then i can find it in a specialized shop for seals and such.
Old November 18th, 2022, 04:47 AM

I found this old thread and I sell the o'ring that fits in the end of the bullet used on the 1956-59's with the 1 7/16" hex bullet. It fits over the shaft and inside the housing. It is orange silicone and a one of a kind o'ring. I show it as P/N 584059, a Chevrolet part number. The P/N 565673 could be for the picture of the seal you are showing in the picture above. The seal is $2.50 plus S & H to anywhere n the world. I sell all sorts of vintage automatic transmission parts from 1942 to the mid 60's. Dave
Old January 26th, 2023, 08:10 AM

565673 Seal

Originally Posted by autotran
I found this old thread and I sell the o'ring that fits in the end of the bullet used on the 1956-59's with the 1 7/16" hex bullet. It fits over the shaft and inside the housing. It is orange silicone and a one of a kind o'ring. I show it as P/N 584059, a Chevrolet part number. The P/N 565673 could be for the picture of the seal you are showing in the picture above. The seal is $2.50 plus S & H to anywhere n the world. I sell all sorts of vintage automatic transmission parts from 1942 to the mid 60's. Dave
Dave, I'm interested in learning more about this seal , how I can purchase it from you and how it is installed. How can I purchase this from you
Thanks Gary @ oldsobsolete