th350 kickdown and electronic?

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2007, 10:58 AM

th350 kickdown and electronic?

So I pull alot of seam sealer off the speedometer cable firewall gasket and behold there is the hole for the kickdown cable. So I go to hook it up and find a switch on my gas pedal with a two wire plug. Not thinking anything of it, I pull the switch off to find where the kd cable attaches and it looks as if this is an electric kickdown module. I have a 69 cutty. I thought the th350 only came with the kd cable. The wiring looks to be stock. So what is going on here? Also, where does the electronic kd hook into the tranny? And if this all makes sense, should I remove the kd cable that is just dangling in my engine compartment then seal they tranny side with what? Any thoughts are appreciated.

thanks BB

ok, so after reading, the th350 doesnt have an electric kd. So what is the module on the gas pedal, and where does the kd cable attach to it?

Thanks bb
Old July 23rd, 2007, 04:20 AM
Jim's rare 80

Hi. Is it the original driveline in the car. The switch on the pedal could be for a TH400, which has an electronic kickdown. At least, mine does anyway. Hope this helps. jim.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 07:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by bigbrother
So I pull alot of seam sealer off the speedometer cable firewall gasket and behold there is the hole for the kickdown cable. So I go to hook it up and find a switch on my gas pedal with a two wire plug. Not thinking anything of it, I pull the switch off to find where the kd cable attaches and it looks as if this is an electric kickdown module. I have a 69 cutty. I thought the th350 only came with the kd cable. The wiring looks to be stock. So what is going on here? Also, where does the electronic kd hook into the tranny? And if this all makes sense, should I remove the kd cable that is just dangling in my engine compartment then seal they tranny side with what? Any thoughts are appreciated.

thanks BB

ok, so after reading, the th350 doesnt have an electric kd. So what is the module on the gas pedal, and where does the kd cable attach to it?

Thanks bb
The 69 CUTLASS could have come with one of three automatic transmissions, a two speed Jetaway, a three speed TH350, or a three speed TH400. The Jetaway and the TH400 both used an electric kickdown that was activated with the switch on the accelerator pedal. I'm guessing your car originally came with the Jetaway. The TH350 used the cable kickdown and since this was a factory option, the hole for the cable is already punched in the firewall. You need the TH350 accelerator pedal. The difference is that instead of the electric switch, the TH350 accelerator has a second tab that the kickdown cable attaches to. You also need a different plate that replaces the one with the arm that holds the switch.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 07:18 PM

The car came original with a th350. I am trying to find the original owner to find out why it has a kdswitch and pedal. Is the wiring harness the same for both cars because the two wires to the kdswitch are part of the harness. I know the tranny was rebuilt a few years back, maybe the original owner had some sort of alternate plans he never finished. If anyone knows about the wiring harness let me know. Thanks.bb
Old July 23rd, 2007, 07:48 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by bigbrother
The car came original with a th350. I am trying to find the original owner to find out why it has a kdswitch and pedal. Is the wiring harness the same for both cars because the two wires to the kdswitch are part of the harness. I know the tranny was rebuilt a few years back, maybe the original owner had some sort of alternate plans he never finished. If anyone knows about the wiring harness let me know. Thanks.bb
The harness was the same; the kickdown switch connector was simply taped up out of the way. I CAN tell you for sure that if the car had a TH350 from the factory, it did not come with a kickdown switch. What shifter does the car have?
Old July 25th, 2007, 07:48 PM

good call on the shifter display, it was out of the car so I hadnt looked that close. the car came with a column shifter reading prndl. this would have been the two speed jetaway, and would make sense why the electronic kd was there. When I was told the tranny was rebuilt, I think they must have put a rebuilt th350 in. that would be why the kd cable was just hanging in the engine compartment. ahhhh it all comes together. Guess I need a different gas pedal and all will be good.

thanks again bb
Old June 3rd, 2008, 07:52 PM

I got a th350 from a 1979 Cutlass would i be able to install it on my 84 cutlass even tough it dosent have a lockup solenoid like my stock th250 transmission?
Old June 4th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by chivo80026
I got a th350 from a 1979 Cutlass would i be able to install it on my 84 cutlass even tough it dosent have a lockup solenoid like my stock th250 transmission?

Hi,

Welcome, but you don't need to ask this same question on three different threads.
Old February 28th, 2012, 07:34 PM

I have a 67 cutlass and the passing gear kicks in every now and then when it wants to. my auto teacher in school says to replace my passing gear solenoid. Any ideas where to maybye purchase one? or possibly fix the one i have.
Old February 28th, 2012, 09:18 PM

bigbrother,
I have the correct pedal for you if you don't have one. How about $20.00 shipped to you?
Thanks.
Scott
c. 317-727-7041
Old February 29th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by bulldogs#10
I have a 67 cutlass and the passing gear kicks in every now and then when it wants to. my auto teacher in school says to replace my passing gear solenoid. Any ideas where to maybye purchase one? or possibly fix the one i have.

Not to be a hard a$$, is there reason you posted this question on this thread after starting one of your own on your transmission? Be patient, your problem is totally different and not even relevant to this thread.
Old March 7th, 2012, 10:40 AM

i did the Lokar pedal/throttle cable/kickdown cable/carb bracket when i swapped my 2-speed for the TH350. looks sweet, and works flawlessly!!! check out the pic:

8ecbc856.jpg

if you look closely,you can see the gold colored braket from the lokar accelerator pedal mounted on the firewall. it fit's right in the factory location where the original linkage passed through, you have to buy the chevelle kit as it is for the A-body. they don't list it for the olds.

Last edited by 1965cutlassragtop; March 7th, 2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old March 7th, 2012, 11:54 AM

when I didn my 2 to 3 swap. I looked into but I did not hook up passing gear . I didnt know about the differnt pedel . If i need the extra zip I tend to drop it down and use it in Manual mode I dont drive the car every day and the extra action make the girls go crazy as in my wife saying" DO YOU HAVE TO DO THAT " I was told it would not hurt anything to not hook it up unlike a TV cable on a 700r4?
Old March 7th, 2012, 12:16 PM

it doesn't hurt anything to not hook it up. but, after i did finally hook it up, i love it. sometimes i get that unexpected down shift accompanied by a tire chirp and a neck snap. i love when it goes from 3rd to 1st.....it's different when it down shifts on it's own as opposed to when you down shift manually. both have their pros and cons...why not have it hooked up so it will downshift if it needs to, then you can still down shift manually if YOU need too. it's a win win!!
Old March 7th, 2012, 01:35 PM

I picked up some cheap brackets from summit and checkers and they did not
work for the large plastic cable block that I have ,one thing lead to another and it has not been done I like the looks of the lokar I will have to look into the other parts i need .
Old March 7th, 2012, 01:48 PM

you really cannot beat the lokar setup. yes, it's pricey, but worth every penny in my opinion. here is what you would need:

64-72 chevelle accelerator assembly
stainless braided throttle cable
stainless braided kickdown cable
billet aluminum throttle/kickdown bracket (lokar makes them specifically for the edelbrock carbs)
Old March 9th, 2012, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by 1965cutlassragtop
you really cannot beat the lokar setup. yes, it's pricey, but worth every penny in my opinion. here is what you would need:

64-72 chevelle accelerator assembly
stainless braided throttle cable
stainless braided kickdown cable
billet aluminum throttle/kickdown bracket (lokar makes them specifically for the edelbrock carbs)
Agreed, looks real professional, what about price?
Old March 11th, 2012, 06:45 PM

Price was around $250-300 for everything I listed above. The billet lokar carb bracket is about $60, $50 each for the throttle & kickdown cables, $100 for the accelerator pedal, $25 for the brake pedal cover to match.

I finagled with the throttle linkage as it was and could not get the secondaries to open on the Edelbrock carb. Once I installed the lokar setup it was like night and day. Now I can whack WOT quick. The geometry of the pedal and cable together makes the throttle response more snappy and fun to drive. Of course, has mileage drops a bit, lol. It took a couple of test rides to adjust the kickdown cable, but once u get it where it needs Yo be the whole setup works great!!