Th350 Torque converter

Search this Thread

Old November 10th, 2023, 05:52 PM

Th350 Torque converter

I was wondering once tc is seated properly and transmission is bolted to engine when tc is pulled to flexplate , is it possible for the tc to come to far out and not be seated and make a knocking noise that sounds like a rod knock ? Plus how many qts of fluid doea a th350 take ? Reason i ask about the knock is because when trans is connected i hear it but if i unbolt the tc no more knock ? But i checked my fluid and dip stick is bone dry even after i added 3 qts .
Old November 10th, 2023, 06:59 PM

If it knocks only with the converter bolted up I'd look for a cracked flex plate. How much fluid? If the converter was empty 7 plus quarts.
Old November 11th, 2023, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
If it knocks only with the converter bolted up I'd look for a cracked flex plate. How much fluid? If the converter was empty 7 plus quarts.
yea i read that before inspected the flexplate didnt see any crack . Torqued down the tc put it back together and heard nothing . Set body back on frame started the car nothing then second start i heard it again thats when i checked the fluid and seen it was bone dry . I had half filled the tc before seating it and added about two quarts but i guess this thing was completely empty . Plus it want go into any gear . So im try filling it up when i get off work . But with it empty would it make a tapping noise ?
Old November 11th, 2023, 01:17 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Kapos79kutlass
yea i read that before inspected the flexplate didnt see any crack . Torqued down the tc put it back together and heard nothing . Set body back on frame started the car nothing then second start i heard it again thats when i checked the fluid and seen it was bone dry . I had half filled the tc before seating it and added about two quarts but i guess this thing was completely empty . Plus it want go into any gear . So im try filling it up when i get off work . But with it empty would it make a tapping noise ?
A couple more questions:
(1) Does or does not make tapping noise when NOT in gear at ANY rpm? IOW, does or does not make tapping noise at idle when in Park.
(2) Does or does not make tapping noise when placed into Drive gear and sitting at idle?
(3) Does or does not make tapping noise while driving - all gears, only low gear, only high gear? Is it "load" related? Only happens when accelerating or also makes noise while cruising?
(4) Does or does not make tapping noise on deceleration?
(5) Does the tapping appear relating to an increase in RPM &/or an increase in vehicle speed?
Old November 11th, 2023, 01:27 PM
Running On Empty

When you're back down under have a look at your starter. In particular, check to see if any of the bolts are loose or have worked their way out a little. Maybe the starter pinion/bendix is doing a little flippy floppy on occasions against the flex plate? Worth a look.
Old November 11th, 2023, 01:41 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Kapos79kutlass
Plus it want go into any gear . So im try filling it up when i get off work . But with it empty would it make a tapping noise ?
Sorry, I read this earlier and kind of passed on it because I didn't understand what you were saying. Now I got it - I think you meant to say "...plus it won't go into any gear." Is that correct, it won't go into any gear? It sounds like you have no fluid or far too little fluid.
Old November 11th, 2023, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
A couple more questions:
(1) Does or does not make tapping noise when NOT in gear at ANY rpm? IOW, does or does not make tapping noise at idle when in Park.
(2) Does or does not make tapping noise when placed into Drive gear and sitting at idle?
(3) Does or does not make tapping noise while driving - all gears, only low gear, only high gear? Is it "load" related? Only happens when accelerating or also makes noise while cruising?
(4) Does or does not make tapping noise on deceleration?
(5) Does the tapping appear relating to an increase in RPM &/or an increase in vehicle speed?
im running a 455 stock exhaust manifold dualed with cherry bomb glass packs so kind of hard to remeber will check all that tomorrow . Was super low on fluid , got it warmed up fluid topped off and as far as i can tell in a video i took it gets quiet to a point i didnt hear it when i put it in gear . Drive and reverse . So id say only out of gear at idle and revving is when you can hear it .
Old November 11th, 2023, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Sorry, I read this earlier and kind of passed on it because I didn't understand what you were saying. Now I got it - I think you meant to say "...plus it won't go into any gear." Is that correct, it won't go into any gear? It sounds like you have no fluid or far too little fluid.
yes it was super low in fluid once warmed up i checked it topped it off and it goes into gear now