Leak from Yoke?

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2023, 04:31 PM

Leak from Yoke?

The other day I backed the car into the garage and after shutting it down, I heard a somewhat steady drop. After looking underneath, I noticed it was dripping off of the front Ujoint where the driveshaft and yoke meet. I didn't see any fluid on the shaft itself, but then again I can't think of where it'd be coming from. I got under it again after getting home this evening and noticed it's still leaking (someone suggested it was maybe because I'd not driven the car in a while) and is evidently throwing fluid as the underside of the floor is also wet.

Being that the trans was a fresh rebuild upon install, I'm not able to come up with an easy suspect.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Old August 2nd, 2023, 02:52 AM

There are a few discussions on this, including: Slip yoke can leak? - ClassicOldsmobile.com
Old August 2nd, 2023, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by oldoldss
There are a few discussions on this, including: Slip yoke can leak? - ClassicOldsmobile.com
I did a Google search the other day and realized it's a common problem and even had a result from here. Just wanted to verify before I plugged the hole as most recommended (that I saw) that it would work. I just worded it terribly in my haste..ha!
Old August 2nd, 2023, 03:59 AM

Hopefully, they replaced the tailshaft bushing when the trans was rebuilt. Verify that your leak is behind or in front of the seal if you can. A worn bushing will wipe out the seal, and sometimes cause a high speed vibration.
Old August 2nd, 2023, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by fleming442
Hopefully, they replaced the tailshaft bushing when the trans was rebuilt. Verify that your leak is behind or in front of the seal if you can. A worn bushing will wipe out the seal, and sometimes cause a high speed vibration.
Based on how bad of shape the trans was when it went in to the rebuild shop (it sat uncovered on a pallet outside for approx 15 years, with the dipstick tube out and was full of water/rust) I'm going to assume the bushing was replaced.

I don't see any obvious signs of fluid on the shaft itself, at least what's showing coming out of the trans. It just shows it's wet at the Ujoints.
Old August 2nd, 2023, 05:24 AM

Any chance the fluid is overfilled due to the wrong dipstick?
Old August 2nd, 2023, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
Any chance the fluid is overfilled due to the wrong dipstick?
Well, it just started (or at least I just started noticing it) Saturday-maybe Friday? However I do know prior to that it wasn't an issue as I'd dealt with a faulty pan gasket previously and once that was changed..all was well. The dipstick is the original one it came with, and even then everywhere I'd seen these take like 10 qts and if anything I've under-filled it.
Old August 2nd, 2023, 05:51 AM

Only other thing that comes to mind is checking that the vent tube is clear on the upper passenger side of the case.
Old August 2nd, 2023, 06:05 AM

Only other thing that comes to mind is checking that the vent tube is clear on the upper passenger side of the case.
as in if it's blocked out may be venting out the driveshaft?
Old August 2nd, 2023, 06:15 AM

Yes
Old August 3rd, 2023, 03:48 AM

Yes
what's the best way to check it?

Over the winter when I was changing the intake gasket and resetting the distributor, once it finally fired back up I heard something pouring out..and when I shut it off, I realized it was fluid pouring out of the top of the dipstick tube. Since then, I've not had that issue..though when I tried to add fluid both after that instance as well as after changing the pan gasket, fluid would pour out of the top of the dipstick tube once more. I just figured that was due to my funnel being tight in the tube. However to that point, if the natural vent on the case is plugged, maybe that's what's pushing fluid elsewhere?

This problem didn't exist until maybe a week or two ago.
Old August 3rd, 2023, 03:57 AM

I'm thinking the easiest way would be to get a rubber hose on the vent tube, then pull vacuum on it with a vacuum pump.

If there is something in the tube, like a mud dauber or spider, you don't want to blow it in with compressed air.
Old August 3rd, 2023, 04:38 AM

Ha! I may have to borrow a pump..lol!

I honestly didn't even think about that. I think I've got some tubing to put on there. What blows my mind though is how it could literally just happen out of nowhere if that's the case. Then again though, I've been finding random bits of mouse nest still in the car...so thats exciting.
Old August 3rd, 2023, 05:38 AM

A MityVac type pump would probably be best.
Old August 3rd, 2023, 05:40 AM

A MityVac type pump would probably be best.
I've got a hand pump from an old bleeder kit..that'd do the same, right?
Old August 3rd, 2023, 06:08 AM

Yeah, that's what I meant. Use the jug, if you have one, to trap whatever comes out.

Something I don't know: assuming it's a vent, you shouldn't have fluid coming out, right?
Old August 3rd, 2023, 07:37 AM

I would agree no fluid out unless the rest of the system was airtight. Pull the dipstick up slightly to eliminate that possibility.
Old August 3rd, 2023, 07:42 AM

I would agree no fluid out unless the rest of the system was airtight. Pull the dipstick up slightly to eliminate that possibility.
so should I crack the dipstick and try it before doing anything else?
Old August 3rd, 2023, 07:51 AM

You could but the dipstick pickup is under fluid and the vent is probably on the other side of and above the fluid so it wouldn't be an acid test as to whether or not a restricted vent is causing the problem.
Old August 3rd, 2023, 07:54 AM

Of course it's better to not push any potential debris into the transmission but if it happened I don't think it would hurt anything. I believe that unlike an engine ALL of the ATF goes through the filter before the internals. It would be great if a transmission expert would confirm this.
Old August 3rd, 2023, 07:59 AM

Well, I never could get it to seal correctly (it being the top of the tube and top of the dipstick) but I finally got it locked in the last time I put fluid in it.

Ot could be that the vent is clogged, so I'll try that first for sure. Considering how little it ran the first day I noticed the issue..I should find out pretty quickly. Once I know that's clear, I'll crack the top of the dipstick from the tight seal on the tube if necessary and see what that does. Worst case, I'll silicone up that hole. I spoke with the shop that rebuilt the trans and he confirmed that covering the hole wouldn't be an issue.
Old August 3rd, 2023, 05:58 PM

Alright, just fought like mad to get the vent tube hooked to the hand pump, and it wouldn't hold vacuum. I'm assuming that means it's clear, correct?

If so, that gets me back to what the heck is going on? Lol

Yeah, I could just silicone the yoke..but it bothers me as to what the issue is.
Old August 3rd, 2023, 07:11 PM

Not holding vacuum indicates it is clear, good diagnostics on your part. Is this transmission and driveshaft original to the car? Does the driveshaft yoke look like it goes into the tail shaft enough? Post a pic if you can.

When you mentioned the dipstick didn't seal correctly, was it all the way in? If it wasn't all the way in it could read under filled resulting in more fluid being added.

If you comfortable the fluid isn't overfilled and the driveshaft yoke is in far enough then i'd seal the hole.
Old August 3rd, 2023, 07:17 PM

I'll see if I can snag a pic, however what still baffles me about it is everything was fine until a couple weeks ago. To the best of my knowledge, the driveshaft is original. The transmission is the one the car started life with..I do know that for sure. As far as fluid level..I dont believe I even put enough back in after dropping the pan to change the gasket. It was around that time that I started noticing the fluid wouldn't go down into the dipstick tube very well..which I still blame on the fact that the funnel spout was tight to the tube.

At this point I'm trying to talk myself up and get this driveshaft out to clean it/seal it. If I didn't have Nats looming, I probably wouldn't be nearly as anxious about it..lol
Old August 3rd, 2023, 07:24 PM

Take a look at this link...if there is a hole in the yoke there is supposed to be an o-ring on the tail shaft.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...stion.1188868/
Old August 3rd, 2023, 07:27 PM

Take a look at this link...if there is a hole in the yoke there is supposed to be an o-ring on the tail shaft.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...stion.1188868/
Correct, and the silicone on the hole is in hopes it gets me though till the off season.. where I can have the oring replaced (which is frustrating as it's only a year old)
Old August 3rd, 2023, 07:32 PM

I'd silicone it too, probably be fine f o r e v e r....
Old August 4th, 2023, 02:22 PM

Driveshaft is out, silicone has been applied. I noticed in addition to the hole, it also has the missing spline. It was my understanding it was one or the other..not both.

Upon reinstallation, do I need to line anything up regarding the missing spline? I didnt see anything on the output shaft on the trans that stuck out as obvious.
Old August 4th, 2023, 02:27 PM

I'm pretty sure no special alignment is needed.
Old August 5th, 2023, 02:54 PM

Alright, hole has been siliconed, driveshaft reinstalled and test drive completed. No leak from the yoke anymore, however I now have a leak from the pan gasket..

Grabbed the torque wrench and retorqued them because they were loose for some reason.

Now..onto the next thing before Nationals prep.
Old August 5th, 2023, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Was the engine running and in park or neutral when you checked the fluid level? The
Old August 5th, 2023, 04:41 PM

Yes.
Old August 6th, 2023, 05:08 AM

Well, I thought all was well...

After posting the update yesterday I just happened to look out of the front window and see a fluid trail at the driveway. Upon further inspection, you can see the trail from as I was driving up, stopped, and backed up the driveway. Kinda seems like a lot for it just being the pan bolts slightly loose.

K popped the hood and the top of the dipstick was wet, the firewall looked a little damp, and getting back underneath (as best I could without lifting it) the dust cover looks wet. I noticed the bolts for the dust cover had fluid on them, I just figured that was related to the pan gasket leak being so close.

What gets me though, is it didn't leak when I was first driving it around. I had pulled over at one point to check for leaks during the drive and didn't see anything (nor did I even see a trail). I can't blame drain-back from the converter at that point, and I would think if it were something like the front seal it would've done it from the first time fluid started flowing.

Honestly, the only thing that makes sense is overfill, but I don't see how that can be considering A. Last time I checked it the level was fine and B. I highly doubt I put in the same amount that was taken out for the pan installation.
Old August 6th, 2023, 02:33 PM

Went back out after church and pulled the dust cover. There was some fluid inside, but not a lot. Considering how much had come out the day before, I figured I'd just clean it and try again.

I fired it up, let it run and drove it around more than yesterday. There was a small amout on the ground in comparison to yesterday, but still something. I got underneath while it was idling, as well has having my wife cycle gears a few times..it almost acts as if the front corners are still a little loose. Even then, it dripped twice from the time I got under it in the driveway till about 5 minutes post-shut down (probably a 10 minute span in total)

I didnt think to check the fluid level for some reason, so I'll do that when I fire it back up to go get fuel. It did get me thinking though...when Inretorqued the pan bolts, I did at 13 lb ft per the CSM. With having a rubber gasket, would that necessitate more/less torque?