Torque converter stall olds 98

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2023, 02:15 PM

Torque converter stall olds 98

So I got a good deal on an ‘72 olds 350 and I swapped it into my 84 olds 98 coupe it’s got 7 a heads and a cam but unfortunately I will never know the specs of the cam because the guy I bought the motor from didn’t remember. The motor came with a th350 that had a 2500 stall but I decided to get my 200r4 beefed up and I got a 2500 stall for it since that’s what the other trans had on it. The motor runs great but when I drove the car it was way up in the rpm’s and was sluggish. The trans shifted when it was supposed to but the car was super doggy. The rear end is stock so I was thinking maybe 2500 stall is too much for the stock gearing so I pulled the trans back down to go back to a stock stall but my understanding of torque converter stall is pretty limited so I thought I would inquire here before I go any further
I have a 3.23 rear end out of a 90’s caprice that eventually I’m gonna put in the car but I’m just tryin to get the car on the road right now as it’s already summer
Old June 13th, 2023, 02:32 PM

Did you happen to look at the splines on the stator support tube on the transmission pump? For some stupid reason, GM didn’t heat treat those. I would not be the least bit surprised if you find the stripped. No splines on the stator tube, the sprag in the converter has nothing to hold, resulting in really low stall speeed and doggy performance.

The stator tube is pretty easy to replace, but it does require minor transmission disassembly.
Old June 13th, 2023, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
Did you happen to look at the splines on the stator support tube on the transmission pump? For some stupid reason, GM didn’t heat treat those. I would not be the least bit surprised if you find the stripped. No splines on the stator tube, the sprag in the converter has nothing to hold, resulting in really low stall speeed and doggy performance.

The stator tube is pretty easy to replace, but it does require minor transmission disassembly.
Splines on the shaft look good I have the transmission sitting out of the car right now
Old June 13th, 2023, 04:40 PM

FYI, my car has a Hughes Performance 2500 RPM converter and it worked perfectly fine when I had a 2.56 gear rearend under the car while I was rebuilding the 3.23 rear. Drove like factory with no issues at all, city and highway driving.
Old June 13th, 2023, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
FYI, my car has a Hughes Performance 2500 RPM converter and it worked perfectly fine when I had a 2.56 gear rearend under the car while I was rebuilding the 3.23 rear. Drove like factory with no issues at all, city and highway driving.
maybe my tv cable wasn’t adjusted right or something then but the trans shifted at the correct speeds but it was hard to pull away from a stop and the car was real doggy
Old June 13th, 2023, 05:23 PM

Maybe I should mention I have open exhausts manifolds right now because I gotta go to the exhaust shop but I wouldn’t think that would matter at all
Old June 13th, 2023, 05:30 PM

I also used Valvoline Dexron III
Old June 15th, 2023, 09:53 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I had a 2400 stall converter with 2.56 gears in my Cutlass, it would spin the one tire easy. Definitely improved with 3.42 gears. What is the converter flashing at?
Old June 17th, 2023, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
I had a 2400 stall converter with 2.56 gears in my Cutlass, it would spin the one tire easy. Definitely improved with 3.42 gears. What is the converter flashing at?
pardon my ignorance but what does flashing mean
Old June 19th, 2023, 01:31 PM

Typically, the flash stall speed is what the engine rpm will go to at full throttle, and then settled down to its normal stall speed.

flash rpm is usually a couple hundred higher.
Old June 19th, 2023, 01:42 PM

I think my tv cable isn’t adjusted right bc I put a stock stall speed converter in the trans and it more or less drove the same
I bought these tv cable brackets that are supposed to work with my carb set up but when I pull the cable back and then move the carb lever to wot to allow the cable to self adjust it’s way off from where it should be. I pulled the cable back a couple clicks and it drives a little better but I’m only going around the block cause I don’t wanna mess up the trans
the tv cable is new from when they rebuilt the trans