Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

'48 mod 66 Rear shocks and links

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2015, 12:38 PM

'48 mod 66 Rear shocks and links

Recently I've been working on the stock rear suspension on my '48 fastback coupe. I still don't have a decent repair manual and can't seem to find information on my GM CD manual. I've come to a problem with removing the rear shock links. I need to know how to disconnect the link from the frame. Since the rubber mount is inside the frame member there is little chance to get at it from the wheel well area, plus the nut must be corroded to the link strut and there is no way to get PB Blaster or heat from a torch in there. Would appreciate any kind advice. Thanks in advance. Bob
Old June 4th, 2015, 11:03 AM

Bob, Faxon Auto Literature might be able to help on a written manual
http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/1...l--P18770.aspx
Similar available in book form from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/OLDSMOBILE-FAC.../dp/B00IHEZYGG.

They note the 1947 manual is applicable and say Olds never published a specific 1948 manual. A bit costly but, alas, education is never cheap.

The previous owner on mine had gotten as far as tossing quite a bit of front and rear suspension from my '47 including shocks so I'm no help with the specific problem. Hopefully one of the 46-48 guys with stock rear suspension will know the drill and can provide answers
Old June 4th, 2015, 11:20 AM

yeah,
i looked into getting the manual from Faxon but they were out. thanks for the tip for amazon though. however, if it too expensive ill have to wait till i get ahead of the money game. I can use the links on the car for now. at least i am a master with the rear shocks and cured the bouncy.
while im at it, what are your recommendations for sbc motor mounts?
Old June 4th, 2015, 06:16 PM

Motor Mounts

Originally Posted by bobmobile
yeah,
i looked into getting the manual from Faxon but they were out. thanks for the tip for amazon though. however, if it too expensive ill have to wait till i get ahead of the money game. I can use the links on the car for now. at least i am a master with the rear shocks and cured the bouncy.
while im at it, what are your recommendations for sbc motor mounts?

Try Chassis Engineering Inc. re. their cushion mount. http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/cushion-set/
They are not Olds specific but could easily be made to work. If I remember correctly the frame is boxed in that area and so all you need to do is measure the width between inner frame members at the mount side and let them know. I used mounts like this on sbc in my 36 Chevy and was happy with the results. They look a lot like the motor mounts in the 40s Ford cars. Other firms sell copies but I wouldn't go there as motor mounts are no place to cut cost and possibly quality.
Jerry
Old June 4th, 2015, 07:20 PM

Ok thanks. I had book marked that firm a short while ago. What mounts do the cushions fit to that would work? I think for 30.00 those are just the cushions and don't include the mounts. Thank you Jerry
Old June 4th, 2015, 08:28 PM

Motor Mounts

Originally Posted by bobmobile
Ok thanks. I had book marked that firm a short while ago. What mounts do the cushions fit to that would work? I think for 30.00 those are just the cushions and don't include the mounts. Thank you Jerry
Could be what you say on the pricing as I've last purchased that type 8 years or so ago. It seems to me that when I got mine for the 36 I got a metal bracket that welded to the frame and stuck out and the cushions bolted into it. Both came from CE Inc. but if you are handy with fabricating you could build your own metal pieces for the rubber cushion to bolt to.

I found an old photo of the CE mounts on my 36 Chassis. See thumbnail. You can also see what I used on the engine side of mount assembly. I don't remember whether that was stock or aftermarket.
Jerry
Attached Images