Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

55 olds dashboard

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2024, 06:15 PM

55 olds dashboard

Hey all just curious, I got the shop manual for my 55 olds super 88 but it doesn’t say that can take off the top of the dash, it showed a picture of the dash plate grill that can come off, I was hoping someone would know if just the top part can come out? So I can look down in there at all the wires and hoses, I’d like to replace all vacuum lines and make sure wires are set up correctly
Old January 15th, 2024, 12:35 PM

I don't know if you can. What I've done is to just remove the glovebox insert and detach the vent hose to access all of that fun stuff under there. I ran new vacuum lines to the windshield wiper control, replaced the heater control valve and hoses, and just general inspected everything else that way.
Old January 15th, 2024, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by justacog
I don't know if you can. What I've done is to just remove the glovebox insert and detach the vent hose to access all of that fun stuff under there. I ran new vacuum lines to the windshield wiper control, replaced the heater control valve and hoses, and just general inspected everything else that way.
hmm yeah I might just do that I just don’t want to take out all instrument panels since they work and mess things up ya know. I especially don’t want to be taking apart pulley systems
Old January 24th, 2024, 07:50 AM
madmax442.com

I did the same on my 1955, remove the glove box and you will have plenty of space. There is that support channel up in there you need to route the new hoses through, but it wasn't too terrible.
Old January 24th, 2024, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by madmax442.com
I did the same on my 1955, remove the glove box and you will have plenty of space. There is that support channel up in there you need to route the new hoses through, but it wasn't too terrible.
ok I will tackle it that way. Next question, the chrome plate right behind the speedometer needle is loose and I’m missing that needle on the gauge and my Speedo cable is hooked up but how would I get at that chrome plate and see why the needle isn’t moving when I drive??
Old January 24th, 2024, 04:56 PM
madmax442.com

Chris, do you not have a 1955 Shop Manual yet? The instrument panel and diagram is on Pages 14-1 - 14-2.
$37 bucks here: https://www.themotorbookstore.com/1955-oldsmobile-shop-manual.html?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAh

8OtBhCQARIsAIkWb69q9QmJu6yYj_LUv0C5KhmJ-0h8Pa81RbkHM9XD6gVufNNbC8z2UhwaAiG1EALw_wcB

Last edited by madmax442.com; January 24th, 2024 at 04:59 PM.
Old January 24th, 2024, 05:00 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Super88chris
...I got the shop manual for my 55 olds super 88...
Chris, do you not have a 1955 Shop Manual yet?
Good chance....he does.
Old January 24th, 2024, 05:03 PM
Running On Empty

Old January 24th, 2024, 05:37 PM

Chris, do you not have a 1955 Shop Manual yet? The instrument panel and diagram is on Pages 14-1 - 14-2.
$37 bucks here: https://www.themotorbookstore.com/1955-oldsmobile-shop-manual.html?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAh

8OtBhCQARIsAIkWb69q9QmJu6yYj_LUv0C5KhmJ-0h8Pa81RbkHM9XD6gVufNNbC8z2UhwaAiG1EALw_wcB
I got it thanks
Old January 24th, 2024, 06:23 PM

I've got an extra speedometer assembly and parts from another. If you need to replace anything I might be able to help. John
Old January 24th, 2024, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I've got an extra speedometer assembly and parts from another. If you need to replace anything I might be able to help. John
heck yeah! That would be awesome! Like I said I know I’m missing the needle on the gauge. Hopefully soon I’ll get a chance to pull out the cluster and check to see if it will still function. What’s your email incase it’s no good
Old January 24th, 2024, 06:47 PM

PM sent.
Old January 25th, 2024, 05:36 AM
Bfg

I have a nice dash pad if your interested
Old January 27th, 2024, 03:55 PM
74 2.8L Capri

Originally Posted by Super88chris
heck yeah! That would be awesome! Like I said I know I’m missing the needle on the gauge. Hopefully soon I’ll get a chance to pull out the cluster and check to see if it will still function. What’s your email incase it’s no good
I had this exact same thing happen.

There are outfits that will rebuild speedometers Unfortunately, they are not cheap. There are a couple of issues:
1. The speedometer is balanced for the weight of the needle. My needle fell off and was sitting at the bottom of the gage. It fell off because it was bouncing around when driving. Which meant the gears in the speedometer were worn. You can't just glue the needle back on, it will change the weight, and therefore what speeds are indicated while driving. The rebuilders do a good job of balancing the repair.
2. Since the gears were worn, they need to be replaced. The rebuild places generally do a good job. It could also be a worn speedometer cable. They are pretty reasonable new from Fusick.
3. When you take out the instrument cluster, be very careful pulling the wires out. Believe it or not, each wire is color coded, and there is a paint mark on each connection, on the back of the cluster, that matches the color on each wire. I used masking tape and numbers.
4. While you have the cluster out, go ahead and replace all the light bulbs. I think there are 2 different kinds. If I remember correctly, the bulb for the high beam is different, slightly smaller, turn signals too. The internal lighting bulbs are all the same. Cheap and any auto parts store.

Dave
Old January 27th, 2024, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by DFitz
I had this exact same thing happen.

There are outfits that will rebuild speedometers Unfortunately, they are not cheap. There are a couple of issues:
1. The speedometer is balanced for the weight of the needle. My needle fell off and was sitting at the bottom of the gage. It fell off because it was bouncing around when driving. Which meant the gears in the speedometer were worn. You can't just glue the needle back on, it will change the weight, and therefore what speeds are indicated while driving. The rebuilders do a good job of balancing the repair.
2. Since the gears were worn, they need to be replaced. The rebuild places generally do a good job. It could also be a worn speedometer cable. They are pretty reasonable new from Fusick.
3. When you take out the instrument cluster, be very careful pulling the wires out. Believe it or not, each wire is color coded, and there is a paint mark on each connection, on the back of the cluster, that matches the color on each wire. I used masking tape and numbers.
4. While you have the cluster out, go ahead and replace all the light bulbs. I think there are 2 different kinds. If I remember correctly, the bulb for the high beam is different, slightly smaller, turn signals too. The internal lighting bulbs are all the same. Cheap and any auto parts store.

Dave
thanks Dave I’ll keep all that in mind. I did notice my speed cable wasn’t hooked up so I hooked it up when for a drive and it sounded terrible the speedometer was moving but loudly and all over the place. The silver plate behind the needle is definitely not hooked up so that is most likely one issue. I want to pull out the cluster but when I start I get overwhelmed cuz everything in there works besides the obvious and I don’t want to ruin something that is currently working